Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/26/2008  (Read 28166 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/26/2008
« on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
The Price is RIght - Sept. 26, 2008
Production #4435K - Taped July 30, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Tamiko

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Mon Cheri

1   Voco Pro Sonic Station Karaoke System (R)
AMAYA 850 BENJAMON 1 ESTHER 1150 EARLINE *999 ($1000)

Earline plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 1 2 3 5 0 8 7 4
Dodge Charger (Std., AT, Prot, Mats, BlkHtr)(B)$2 3,– 1 0($23,910)
Pier 1 Clifton Sofa (T)$8 4 7LOSS
That Damned Piggy Bank$–.5 2(6.52)

2    Napoleon Gas Grill/Libman Wonder Mop (B&T)
+Amaya 950 +Benjamon 951 +Esther *1100 DOUGLAS 1275 ($1200)

Esther plays SAFE CRACKERS for a Ford Focus S (Std., AT)(T) and vTech Telephones (R)($16,680)

Numbers:0 7 8
Setting:7 8 0   LOCK   ($870)   LOSS

3   Aico Paradisio Desk (T)
+Amaya 650 +Benjamon 950 JANA *1095 Douglas 1650 ($1429)

Jana plays MAKE YOUR MOVE

Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Motorcycle (B)
TPiR Video Game
(Nintendo DS)
(Sony Handicam)
Camcorder (R)
6 3 9 9 3 0 9 5 0 WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,240Esther85 stay.85
1,847Earline20 + 65.85
8,808Jana15 + 851.00*$1000*   Bonus 50   Through to Showcase Round

4   Ricardo Solutions 4 pc Luggage Set (B&R)
+Amaya *551 +Benjamon 450 NICHOLAS 550 Douglas 375 ($1000)

Amaya ascends the "Southpaw Steps" to play FREEZE FRAME for a Princess Western Caribbean Cruise (via Ft. Lauderdale)(All)

70$7031
LOSS

5   Montgomery Ward Devin Dining Group (B)
KELLIE 1250 +Benjamon *1200 Nicholas 675 Douglas 1475 ($1238)

Benjamon, the last of the "First Four", climbs the "Southpaws" to play COVER UP for a Dodge Nitro SXT (Std., Mats, BlkHtr)(T)

Setup    3 1st Try [2][1] 9   5 [0]
2 6 2nd Try [2][1] 5   6 [0]   LOSS   ($21,320)
9 8 0
7 5 6 1
2 1 8 7 8
  4 8 3 5 4
$3 3 4 1 5

6   (Dell) Desktop Computer (T)
Kellie *1900 MARLENE 900 Nicholas 1150 Douglas 1875 ($2638)

Kellie follows the last two to play HI LO for a Broyhill Northern Lights Bedroom Group and a Comfortaire GS700 Sleep Set (R)($5487)

(3) Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away$13.99
(5) Phillips Caplets (24)5.50
(1) Wink Hair Clog Blaster6.99
(4) Hot Pockets (2 pk)2.49
(2) Sleep Pretty In Pink Sleep Aid (30)14.95LOSS
(6) Slow-Mag Supplement (60)11.77

SHOWDOWN #2Spinoff
$1,000Amaya60 + 10.70.10
1,238Benjamon15 + 20.35
2.638Kellie10 + 60.70.60Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Jana has the honor.

SC1-Jana HOW TO BE THE MOST POPULAR PERSON IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
GA Systems Home Soda Fountain (R)
(Sony) 46" LCD HDTV (B)
Chrysler 300 LX (Std., Stereo)(T)
BID$24,995
PRICE38,833
DIFF–13,838
TOTAL$48,641
SC2-Kellie Horizon T83 Motorized Treadmill
Prospot HG5 Home Gym
Stamina Aero Pilates System (R)
Gem E4 Electric Vehicle (B&T)
BID$22,000
PRICE17,382
DIFFOVER

Today's Pricing Games: 1 for 6
Total Winnings: $57,604

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:06:03 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/26/2008
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »
1 for 6 for today, i wonder if roger had planned this one to be a budgetbuster show to compensate for things earlier in the week?

it's good to see safey though

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »
Good show today with some excellent contestants.

Y'know out of 5 shows this week we only saw 2 SP games and those were Plinko and Half Off. 

Any Number: Earline was simply fun to watch, her nervousness, her repeating the price of the car quietly. Too bad she didn't win that car. At least she didn't win the piggy bank. Fun playing to start the show off with.

Safe: For a car!!! That was a crapshoot. Both $780 and $870 looked right.

Hi-Lo: Wow!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen anyone lose this game this badly in a long time. Though I will admit that Clog Blaster stuff looked like it would be about 9-10 dollars.

SCSD#2: I guess Benjamin deserved what he got for trying to be cute in spinning the wheel.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
The sting of a 0/3 car day was bitter indeed, but the contestants were awesome. A# was really tricky - I thought for sure it would be 0-4 w/o the 2, and 7-9 on the sofa, there's usually some consecutive # pattern somewhere in that game. On the other hand, 16680 - 780 = 15900, while 16680 - 870 = 15810. Any 15- car pretty much has a -10 ending. I guess there was some confusion on Freezey, wasn't sure until the price came up that she misread it. I really hope Cover players get back on track and realize the lows are picked, it's going to have another bad year. The DOB already started budget saving on Hi-Lo, I'm not sure if I would have won that setup.

B-
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like a case of "a tale of two hosts" during Any Number. At the beginning of the game, Drew seemed enthusiastic and in a great mood, then halfway through the game, he started mumbling again and put no emphasis into asking for them to light up the numbers. That just seemed weird.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
Any Number: One number left in both the car and the piggybank. Earline didn't got either one of them as she got the 3 numbers exactly on the price of the sofa which she got.

Safe Crackers: I went with $780 as well. Yet I had a feeling it was indeed $870.  :evil:

Make Your Move: I would get that right too. Pretty easy in my books here.

SCSD #1: I wanted Earline or Esther to win for redemption purposes. Sadly it wasn't to be.  :evil:

Freeze Frame: I kind of went for $4199 on the Caribbean Cruise there. It seemed reasonable to me.  :-?

Hi-Lo: There was absolutely no way Kellie would win by picking the Philips caplets and the clog blaster.

Showcases: Although she was way off it was definitely Jana's day today. That and being the only winner of a PG.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
You know, I really think they ought to stop having Drew mention that the One Bid goes to the contestant bidding closest without overbidding before the first One Bid because the pathetic lack of interest he displayed today was just plain ridiculous, and it's not like it's a staple part of the show.  Back in the '80s, Bob often just went right to the first bidder of the day with no explanation preceding.

I didn't expect Safe Crackers to be lost.  A $780/$870 toss-up was a good setup.  Yet more proof that Roger was a genius even down to the little things.

Make Your Move had one of the easiest setups I've seen in quite some time.  I don't see how any logical person could have lost it.

Drew was doing a great bit on Dave.  It's unfortunate that he was mumbling his whole bit so much that it made it quite difficult to understand what the heck he was talking about.

Thank God Drew's "mighty sound effects lady" was on top of what he was saying at the end of Cover Up.  I also thought Drew had made a premature reveal with how quickly he decided to change from asking if the price was right to if either the five or the six was right.  Not a good way to go.

I really like HI LO, probably more than most people; but dang, a lot of the game's charm is lost when all of its unique characteristics are nixed like it has been with moving it behind the Giant Price Tag.

Rich did another one of his "Showcase price recaps" at the end of the first Showcase.  Does nobody realise how much more awkward any of the new Showcase endings sound compared to the traditional, proper ending?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:38:06 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
Any:  WHOO!  Dodge Charger!  Earline better watch out where she's jumping around or else the turntable will spin her off stage. :P

Safey:  WHOO!  For a car!  I thought the phones were $780 as well.  Crap.

MYMove:  WHOO!  TPIR video game!  Easy setup.  $30 was the only logical price up there for the video game, so that made the other two prizes easy.

Freezy:  Hi, Dave!  $3,110 is way too low for a Caribbean cruise.  That had to be a misunderstanding of signals from the audience, who were calling for the right price.

Cover:  Well, there it is... all of the correct digits were the lowest numbers of each column.  Drew is lucky that Benjamin had both of those numbers wrong the second time because his premature reveal could've resulted in a technical win.  Drew didn't ask "Is that the right price?"  He went immediately to "Are either of those numbers right?"

Hi-Lo:  Wow... that was an epic fail.

My showcase bids:
Car--$36,607
Gym/GEM--$16,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:11 PM »
You know, I really think they ought to stop having Drew mention that the One Bid goes to the contestant bidding closest without overbidding before the first One Bid because the pathetic lack of interest he displayed today was just plain ridiculous,  ...

Drew wasn't the one that started doing this, Bob did it quite often as a matter of fact. I remember he always did it in one breath.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:06:45 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
You know, I really think they ought to stop having Drew mention that the One Bid goes to the contestant bidding closest without overbidding before the first One Bid because the pathetic lack of interest he displayed today was just plain ridiculous, and it's not like it's a staple part of the show.
I took that to mean Drew was making fun of how he (and Bob) always says/said that line even after 37 years on the air.  I didn't think Drew was showing lack of enthusiasm; he was having fun with a line that's been said for 37 years.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »
I took that to mean Drew was making fun of how he (and Bob) always says/said that line even after 37 years on the air.  I didn't think Drew was showing lack of enthusiasm; he was having fun with a line that's been said for 37 years.

I got a real sense of "They've been doing this for thirty-seven years, and they still make me explain this junk" sense out of how Drew said it today.

And to clarify, the line hasn't been used for thirty-seven years.  Back in the day, Bob more often reminded contestants to bid in dollars only because they rounded all retail prices to the nearest dollar, and it was only at some point in the '90s where Bob began explaining at the top of every show the One Bid process.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:27:31 PM »
Back in the day, Bob more often reminded contestants to bid in dollars only because they rounded all retail prices to the nearest dollar, and it was only at some point in the '90s where Bob began explaining at the top of every show the One Bid process.

If we have more contestants like Alicia (or anywhere near as clueless as her), I wouldn't want to stop it for a while now.  Drew just needs to explain things better.  That's a solution for a lot of issues.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
If we have more contestants like Alicia (or anywhere near as clueless as her), I wouldn't want to stop it for a while now.  Drew just needs to explain things better.  That's a solution for a lot of issues.
Maybe that's the exact reason for it. Was today's show the first one taped after yesterday's? If so, maybe someone on staff decided that today was a good time to remind the players of how CR worked, since yesterday's first contestant didn't seem to know.

John, just thinkin'...

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
If we have more contestants like Alicia (or anywhere near as clueless as her), I wouldn't want to stop it for a while now.

Contestants like Alicia shouldn't be contestants if they are that clueless as to how the show works.

Drew just needs to explain things better.  That's a solution for a lot of issues.

Aside from his own "spin" on the One Bid explanations, he's doing just fine with those.  What I'm suggesting is that it not be done at the top of every single episode because it never used to be done every single episode.

And another thing to consider.  Drew may well explain how the bidding process works, but the contestants down in Contestants' Row are usually either unable to hear with the volume of noise or are too busy looking to their companions in the audience.  Perhaps toning down the audiences' enthusiasm and instructing the audiences before the show to look forward and not back to the audience, we'd have a lot better communication between host and contestant and the show's processes would need to take so long so more time could be left for interaction between the host and the contestant.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
Contestants like Alicia shouldn't be contestants if they are that clueless as to how the show works.
Maybe Stan didn't think she seemed clueless in line. And you never know how someone's going to react to the intensity and pressure of being in that situation. Someone who's watched the show every day for 37 years could be so nervous on getting there that they forgot the most basic things. (Has anyone accidentally called Drew "Bob" yet?)

[The One Bid explanation] never used to be done every single episode.
Actually, if you go far enough back, I'm pretty sure it was originally.

Perhaps toning down the audiences' enthusiasm
"Okay, everyone, we want you to get really pumped up and excited about seeing the show and potentially winning thousands of dollars in prizes, but remember, once the taping starts, don't wave or yell out anything. Act like you're watching Tiger Woods make a putt."

Good luck with that. Actually, if you watch the earliest episodes, that's exactly what it was like. And it was quite boring for the home audience, as I'm sure it was in the studio.

and instructing the audiences before the show to look forward and not back to the audience

And with that, considering that a substantial number of players ignore the sign and arrows directly in front of them telling them which stairs to take if they win. In the heat of the moment, people won't remember a verbal instruction like that, or will just ignore it because they want some help.

we'd have a lot better communication between host and contestant and the show's processes would need to take so long so more time could be left for interaction between the host and the contestant.

Valid point, but it's not really supposed to be that tightly controlled. It's supposed to be fun and spontaneous.

I would put monitors on stage during the One-Bids so that the CR players can see what each other have bid. I'm not a fan of watching "What did he bid? And what did she bid?" And what's the highest bid?" Other than that, I really don't have a problem with the way it is now.

John