Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/30/2008  (Read 26889 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/30/2008
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
Did anyone notice that when Drew threw the ARP tag for the first item up for bids into the audience, someone picked it up and gave it to the Page?  I have seen people keep that thing as a souvenir before, but never return it to a Page.

I know that Sharken losing Shopping Spree was a forgone conclusion when the guitar was revealed to be $699 in price, but it seems so painful that he was just $59 short of winning.

That brings up this question about Shopping Spree, if someone spends exactly the amount that is needed, does he still lose?  I know the game would have to be specifically set up for that to happen, but I'm just wondering.

I got a kick out of Irene's shirt, this is probably the first time someone noted Drew's catchphrase for some games' reveals on fan t-shirt.

When Brettany was coming on up, on the HD broadcast, one could see part of the slate and Flip Flop was spoiled.

Is this the first time we had Drew say something was one of his favorite games?  I would think maybe ½ Off would be his favorite because of the "alakazam" reveal and the excitement of winning $10,000, but I never expected Spelling Bee.

Drew has a bit of a memory lapse in Spelling Bee when he said "I'm going to show you the first one" before correcting himself and noting that Brettany could take $4,000 and quit or go for the car.

I laughed at how Drew joked that the game was called "Kill the Host" as they finished spinning the turntable around.  Also, we got to see some game coming partially around for the first time this season.

That last pick in Any Number was so nerve-racking, in my opinion, with the second digit in the price of the car either a 0, 1, or 2.  It stinks that the last pick resulted in winning only $8.62.

Well, Coming or Going is won again!  Hopefully that means the game will surely have a better win/loss ratio this year than last.

I wonder how the crew pulled off the bubbling effect on the range today, it must have been such a chore, to some regard, to clean that stain out of the carpet.

I guess today marked the debut of the Amazon.com Kindle on a game show, or at least TPIR.

I must say today's contestant did some very good bidding in the showcase, with both differences being less than $1,000 each.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »
This is to anyone who was in the audience for this show, right after the ticket plug ended after the first showdown, there was a noticeable edit that screwed up the theme's flow.  What happened right after the ticket plug (or was it just cut for time)?
So long!

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »
Oh, gosh, don't tell me the "Alakazam" garbage has caught on so much that people are making T-shirts out it?

What's trash to you is someone else's treasure...
Signatures are overrated.

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:16 PM »
I didn't like the way Drew explained Shopping Spree.  It sounded unnecessarily confusing, and I'm thinking it may have played a part in Sharken's loss.

Oh, gosh, don't tell me the "Alakazam" garbage has caught on so much that people are making T-shirts out it? ...

Well Nick, you are really negative... I have a question ... Why you don't take the place of Drew or Kathy if you are so critical about this
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:18:49 PM by Joe_Capitano »
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:48 PM »
I do not agree with Nick on certain things, but I am going to defend his right to an opinion here.  If he doesn't like the "Alakazam!" bit by Drew or how Drew explains certain games, or hosts in a certain manner, that's fine.  We come here do discuss our likes and dislikes of the show at hand and Nick, as well as everyone, is entitled to that opportunity.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33:13 PM »
Well Nick, you are really negative

I won't deny the fact that lately many of my posts have had a rather negative viewpoint, but honestly, I see so much more going wrong with the show right now than what's going right.

I have a question ... Why you don't take the place of Drew or Kathy if you are so critical about this

Do you know how much I'd love to if given the opportunity? :)
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
Okay, the recaps at the end of the showcases have got to go.  I can see how they look like a good idea on paper, but when actually implemented, they really throw off the flow of the whole thing.  It didn't help, either, that they're not even getting the sentence structure right -- today, they actually ended a showcase with, "And this showcase can be yours, containing (whatever it contained), can be yours if the price is right!"  Seriously, who the heck is writing these?!

And on top of that, there was something about the first showcase today that bugged me.  It was a funny showcase that clearly had a theme to it...and yet for some reason, they never explicitly stated what the theme was.  It made the whole thing seem more random than it needed to, and I have to wonder if there were originally lines explaining it that were taken out so that they could fit the recaps in.

I have no idea what to make of Grand Game.  Irene made some weird decisions, going for one of the hardest products (which, surprisingly, she turned out to be right about) when she'd only gotten to $10, and then missing a ridiculously obvious final pick.  Can't say I have any idea what was going through her head there.

Drew almost made a big screwup in Spelling Bee, nearly revealing the first card before remembering to offer Brettany $4,000 to quit.  It ended up not mattering, obviously, but still, he can't be doing that kind of thing.  At this rate, he'll be screwing up Double Prices before the season's over!

I have no idea what Amy was thinking in Flip Flop.  I know an even number of prizes doesn't always end with an even number, but they usually do, and you'd think that'd make for a pretty obvious answer (or half an answer, in this case).

Incidentally, the whole deal with the turntable at the start of Flip Flop was awesome.  Drew got off a great line, and we actually got to see the game finish spinning!

Any Number was great to watch, even though Sherry ended up only winning the piggy bank.  Drew even built it up pretty well.

We've seen two playings of Coming or Going now where the seemingly "obvious" answer turned out to be wrong.  Given what was happening with it most of last season (and what's still happening with it now), I have to wonder if Roger started setting it up that way on purpose to get it won.

Very surprised to see the same cars today (one exactly the same price, the other very close, probably added those floormats to make the very strange -937).

Well, remember, the shows that aired yesterday and today are actually six episodes apart.

Wasn't Roger still in charge of [fakes and such]?  Doesn't he go for several more weeks, not just premiere week?

He did the first six or seven weeks of lineups, but I'm not sure how far in he did the games' setups...I think John had said it was only the first two or three weeks, and I don't think we ever got confirmation on which.  Just based on Coming or Going, though, I'm guessing that the third week is still Roger.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »
This is the BEST contestant reaction ever.  Amy, the med student, thinks...

what the **** am I going to do with two motorcyles?

:lol:

EDIT: And, before someone accuses me of making fun of the contestant,  come on guys, she made a funny face, which I got a kick out of.   I wish she would have won!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:57:48 PM by Season36Fan »
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
Game #13 (#6,934)

Showcase #1
Range - $929
Home Gym - $800
Sanibel 18' Sailboat - $25,745, and that's my final answer because this is its first appearance without a trip.  This means that the five trips I listed in this post should each be $160 higher than posted.

Showcase #2
Living Room - $4,172
Wireless Reading Device - $359
Trip to Sydney - $13,239

Total show prize value:  $122,418 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 8, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $92,170 (Heather Kozar, 2001)
Low:  $13,847 (Gabrielle Tuite, 2004)

Rachel Reynolds
October 8
Total dollars:  $65,893
($52,654 won, $13,239 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (6-1)
Cars, Trips: 1, 2

After 7 shows
Total dollars:  $477,393
($230,642 won, $246,751 lost)
Total prizes:  61 (40-21)
Cars, Trips: 6, 9 (3-3, 5-4)

Brandi Sherwood
October 8
Total dollars:  $15,957, boy that was close to a daily record!
($3,580 won, $12,377 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (3-6)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 7 shows
Total dollars:  $385,668
($148,219 won, $237,449 lost)
Total prizes:  57 (32-25)
Cars, Trips: 7, 9 (3-4, 4-5)

Tamiko Nash
October 8
Total dollars:  $35,770
($7,435 won, $28,335 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (4-4)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 7 shows
Total dollars:  $591,738
($174,482 won, $417,256 lost)
Total prizes:  57 (37-20)
Cars, Trips: 12, 5 (3-9, 3-2)

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »
Shopping Spree:  It was lost from the start!  I would have thought the guitar was worth more than that with all of the accessories.

Grand Game:  I thought the dog food was one of the easier choices.  Too bad Irene went with the supplement.

One Bid 3:  Our first $500 winner of the season!

Spelling Bee:  Lucky 7 was a winner!

One Bid 4:  Drew almost messed up badly by not catching Carrie's duplicate bid of $1,100!

Flip Flop:  An easy setup if you realize that $4,399 x 2 = $8,798.  Unfortunately, Amy didn't and lost as a result.

Any Number:  Sherry didn't appear to have a clue what she was doing, but she nearly made the comeback of the century!  She got nailed in the end, though. :-(

Coming or Going:  A nice win, as a lot of contestants would have been too tempted by $6,135.

Showcases:  I thought for sure Brettany was over on the trip, so I was quite surprised to see her price revealed first.  It turns out that (A) she wasn't over, and (B) Amy bid even better!  Amy almost made a  :gotc:, but fortunately Drew hesitated, allowing her to catch her mistake.

I'd say that overall most of the pricing games were set up for wins today, but some poor decisions by the contestants (most notably in Grand Game and Flip Flop) brought the winnings total down by a notch.  The showcases made it exciting in the end, though!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 10:30:27 PM »
Well, remember, the shows that aired yesterday and today are actually six episodes apart.
Thaaaat makes much more sense, I started figuring it had to be that. :P

Showcase #1
Home Gym - $800
Well there's what I screwed up on, wow.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:32:06 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 11:12:44 PM »
Shopping Spree:  I knew Sharken was going to lose as soon as I saw the price of the guitar. :-(
Grand Game:  I knew that the dog food was the last item that was less than $8.00.  I can't believe Irene picked the Ester C instead. ???
Spelling Bee:  Awesome win! :-D 
Speaking of Spelling Bee was my ears deceiving me or did Drew say that Bee was his favorite game?
Yes he did, and it's one of my favorite games too!  :-D
Flip Flop:  Too bad! :-(  I was thinking flip too.
Any Number:  What a bummer after the comeback Sherry was making! :cry:
Coming Or Going:  Good job! :-)  I thought Going myself because I thought 5 would be the last number in the price of the trip to Scottsdale, AZ.
Showcases:  Wow, two great bids today! :-D  I thought for sure Amy was going to win both showcases after seeing that Brettany was off by $770, but two great bids nonetheless!

Pretty good show overall, IMHO, after that awesome win on Spelling Bee and the two great bids in the Showcase. :smile: 
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »
Got to love a "CAR" win in Spelling Bee, but what I loved best about that is how the remaining letters spelled the best conference in college basketball. Right, Armadillo? :-P

...and yet another contestant targets an opponent excessively in Contestant's Row. Cari wasn't totally as bad as Margaret, but she still overdid it with the one-upping. And no, this isn't bias... anybody should be able to agree with me on this and yesterday's similar situation.

How about that top-notch bidding in the Showcase? That's about as good as it gets without seeing a DSW.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Brettany
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »
Nice show, but Drew needs to read off the showcase prices with much more enthusiasm.  IMO, he looked like he was ready to get outta there.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
I also dislike the showcase prize recaps. They're distracting and as has been mentioned, break up the flow of the show.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."