Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/30/2008  (Read 27002 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/30/2008
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
The Price is Right - Sept. 30, 2008
Production #4453K - Taped Aug. 3, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Scala

1   Morey Surfboard/Bodyboard Equipment (R)
AMY 650 SHARKEN *699 MICHELLE T. 500 CARRIE 380 ($1096)

Sharken goes on a SHOPPING SPREE

$3700
(3) Line 6 Laguna Electric Guitar$6993001
(1) Howard Miller Vercelli Floor Clock15351466
(2) Cotton Candy Cart140660LOSS
(4) Malm Cone Fireplace1300

On the back of his shirt, Sharken listed all of the models on the show - well, almost all of them. Seems Tami hasn't been on the show in ages.

2   Casablanca New Orleans Ceiling Fan (B)
+Amy 1 IRENE *995 +Michelle T. 615 +Carrie 700 ($1671)

Irene from Roseville, CA plays GRAND GAME (Target: $8.00) for boo coo bucks...

(1) Ziploc Freezer Bags (18 gal)$2.99$10
(6) (SnoreStop) Oral Spray (40)4.99100
(4) Aspercreme Heat Gel6.791000   Goes on...
(2) Ester C Supplement (120)15.99LOSS
(3) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing9.12
(5) (Purina Beneful) Dig Food4.49

3   Cedar Store Octagonal Picnic Table (T)
+Amy 1000 BRETTANY *999 +Michelle T. 600 +Carrie 525 ($999)

Brettany snags the first $500 wad of the season and plays SPELLING BEE for a Honda Civic LX (Std., 140HP, Cruise)(R)($18,395)

Free Card( 7 )CAR   WIN!
Free Card(11)A
Football Mini Grill$25$40– 15
Bamboo Cutting Board3525+10*(23)C
Workout Pedometer/Radio4540+  5*(12)C

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,096Sharken70 stay.70(Drew-aided)
1,671Irene15 + 40.50
19,959Brettney85 stay.85Through to Showcase Round

4   Flexsteel Temecula Chair/Ottoman (R)
+Amy *1200 JOSE 975 +Michelle T. 1100 +Carrie 1150 ($1642)

Amy plays FLIP FLOP for 2 Yamaha XT250 Motorcycles (B&T)

Setup:78 89
Pick:87 89   (She "Flips")
Price:$8798   LOSS

5   2 (Olympus) Digital Cameras (R&T)
SHERRY *625 Jose 1250 +Michelle T. 475 +Carrie 500 ($780)

Sherry from Eugene, OR plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 4 6 5 8 3 9 7 2
Honda Accord LX (Std., AT, Mats)(T)$2 –.9 3 7($21,937)
Noritake Alere Stemware (B)$5 – 4(504)
That Damned Piggy Bank$8.6 2LOSS

So we have two leftovers today in Michelle T. and Carrie. This make Mimi quite happy, for she knows someone will be joinig her at the "First Four" Breakfast Club - and it won't be for crumpets and tea. Who will feel her wrath?
6   Wenger Lucerne 4 pc Luggage Set (B)
MICHELLE C. 500 Jose 725 +Michelle T. 800 +Carrie 801 ($980)

Michelle T. heads off to the clubhouse while Carrie escapes to play COMING OR GOING for a trip to Scottsdale, AZ (via Phoenix; 6n @ Plaza)(R&T)

$5316 ←   (She's "Coming")   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$789Sherry25 + 30.55
1,642Amy80 + 00.80Through to Showcase Round
6,296Carrie50 + 70.OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Brettany has the honor.

SC1-Amy PRIZES THE LADIES NODDED OFF NEXT TO
30" Gas Range (B)
Gold's Gym Powerflex Home Gym (T)
Sanibel 18' Sailboat (R)
BID$27,000
PRICE27,474
DIFF–474
TOTAL$29,116
SC2-Brettany Ashley Leah Living Room Group
Carpet One Carpeting
(amazon kindle) Wireless Reader (B)
Trip to Sydney, AUS (6n)(R)
BID$17,000
PRICE17,770
DIFF–770
TOTAL$

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $58,927

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline william79

• In the Audience
    • William's World
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/30/2008
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
Is the margin of victory in today's SCs the closest in daytime?

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
I was in the audience for this taping and sure enough, with 4 turntable games there was bound to be problems with the main turntable.  It stalled multiple times and the taping stopped, but as you can see all was well. 

Drew told some terrible snail jokes during the taping (think training day... if anyone remembers the snail line) as well.

I don't have time for a full taping report at this time, but I will try to put one up tomorrow.

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
Was it just me, or did the Barker wall start moving before the doors closed after Drew came onstage (like back in July)? 

What a bummer to miss by $770 in the Showcase and still not win.  There was the $30 vs. $29 difference way back when, though, which must have been really heartbreaking to be on the wrong end of.  To be in DSW range and not win even your own showcase.....

Flip Flop was screaming to Flip and Flop.  I'm surprised that she didn't at least Flop.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »
Interesting show and lineup today. I am surprised both Flip Flop and Coming or Going showed up today, I figured we'd see one of them paired with something like Bargain Bar or Switch?

How in the world was Grand Game lost?!?!? What was Irene thinking? That was a headscratching loss that's for sure.

Y'know if Drew hosted every day and every segment like he did Spelling Bee today he'd be fine. That segment was probably some of the best hosting he's done thus far over the course of a season and the beginning of this season.

Speaking of Spelling Bee was my ears deceiving me or did Drew say that Bee was his favorite game?  :P There's something wrong with that.  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:13:37 PM by rob79 »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »
Not even in the Drew era. Last season, there was a $412 / $123 combo.

Very surprised to see the same cars today (one exactly the same price, the other very close, probably added those floormats to make the very strange -937). I figured the guitar was deceptively cheap with the other prizes definitely being over 1k. Not sure how the audience was fooled by the cat food, maybe she misread the sign. Also have no clue why Greco put a CAR in #7 of all places. XD Ignoring Flippy for a second... A# was very painful, but it must be pointed out that it was the very rare 2nd digit of the car that was left over in the critical final choice - from the beginning, she overpriced the already-expensive Accord and still didn't let go, choosing the highest option left at the end. Coggy has 2 playings and 2 wins - enjoy it while you can. And again, nice SC bidding today; it seems like a couple of things might have went down in price as I was just barely over on both today.

Back to Flippy...we wonder why we haven't been over .500 in a long time. It's these types of losses that contribute to somewhere around .470 instead.

B
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:38:55 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
what a great show to end a great day :-)

Shopping Spree - i knew he was done for when he picked the guitar. the audience didnt seem to react as usual though.

Grand Game - Tough loss. the dog food looked expensive but not more that $8

Spelling Bee - great way to start it off this season

Flip Flop - i dont really blame amy for not winning. i wouldve only flopped

Any Number - at first she seemed to think the car was more expensive than it was.

Coming or Going - Nice win. 6k looked too expensive for a trip that close to LA

Showcases -Fantastic Bidding there. loved the first showcase too

grade: 8.5/10

Offline jmangin

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
The $30/$29 differences are the closest.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
I'm not liking the recap of the prizes at the end of the showcase copy. Do contestants really have such bad short term memories that they can't remember what the first two prizes were? Besides, it breaks up the line "...and this showcase can be yours if the price is right," which is one of those Johnny-isms that deserves to be kept intact.

I see the new strategy for getting Coming or Going won is to have the 5 be the FIRST number in the price instead of the last, after the spring's run of people missing how many $X,XX5 prices? ;)

Having CAR under #7 in Bee = Almost Forced Win.
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »
Also have no clue why Greco put a CAR in #7 of all places.
Wasn't Roger still in charge of this?  Doesn't he go for several more weeks, not just premiere week?

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »
I'm not liking the recap of the prizes at the end of the showcase copy.

Agreed...If they keep that up on EVERY showcase, it will become very annoying.

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
Part one of my taping report (everything up to the start of the taping)

Taping report: September 30th, 2008 Airing

Tape Date: August 3rd, 2008 1:00 PM.

I live in the Bay Area.  If Price is Right is doing a weekend taping, it is not out of the realm of possibility for my Mom and I to drive down on Saturday, spend some time with my sister who lives in Orange, spend the night, go to a taping Sunday, and go home the same day.  This taping was the second time I had done that (and after doing it a second time... I really must question if it is within the realm of possibility again!  It was harsh... but fun!)

I had previously gone to the first taping of the season on July 20th, 2008 and at that taping, getting there at 3 AM on the day of got us 4th row seats.  For this taping (another "rare" sunday taping) geting in line at 3 AM got my family (Me, my Mom, my Sis, and a friend of my Sis') got in line such that we were able to get second row seats.  It seems fewer people were willing to get up as early.

I met some nice people who were going to the 4PM taping and they would be in the front row for that taping.  His name was Brian and he had claimed to have delivered prizes for the show many years before.  He said that the stagehands really mistreat most of the vehicles we see on screen moving them and whatnot.  He also would repair them before delivery and simply charge CBS or whomever the cost of the repairs.  Havn't heard much about their taping though.

Stan was at his best and he and I had a nice chat.  He had recognized me from two weeks prior and said he had remembered me.  He seemed to spend a few extra seconds with me and my family which was a nice treat.  Unfortunately, this would not pay off later on.  My sister decided to scream out of excitement at the top of her lungs when Stan and her talked.  She scared everyone around her!  May I suggest NOT doing that to Stan.  He took it well though.

The crowd was not into it today at all.  The pages didn't really do too much in the way of exiting the crowds at all.  Also, the lead page was very serious about her duties and it didn't really help the situation.

The person who was at the front of the line (and incidentally, in seat 1) claimed to have seen nearly 90 tapings of the show.  When I asked, he said he was not familiar with GR.net though which surprised me.  I suppose he may not be into this sort of thing.

Rich skipped his normal dance routine and went straight into the taping.  Nothing too out of the ordinary.  The taping started on time as far as I can tell.   

I will have to finish this a little later, but hope it gives you all some insight into the crowd for the day.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »
Shopping Spree: I don't know whether I would have won or lost on this one.

Grand Game: I'd have gotten the pet food, but I possibly would have lost on the Aspercreme.

Spelling Bee: Lucky number 7 it is. :) That's impressive

SCSD 1: First Drew helping of the season I believe. That was pretty cool.

Flip Flop: I think I was the only one in chat that would have had it. But that was a pretty hard set up in general.

Any Number: Almost a great comeback for the ages, a decent effort.

Coming or Going: That shocked me. It really did.

Showcases:...can we teach the contestants correct powers of 10, please? I seem to notice that more and more people are getting things like that wrong.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »
Grand Game: I'd have gotten the pet food, but I possibly would have lost on the Aspercreme.

That's why I don't understand how this game was lost today. She got the hardest product out of the way on the 3rd pick and yet she still thought the Ester-C was under $8.00 and that measley box of dog food was over $8.00?  :headbang:

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
I didn't like the way Drew explained Shopping Spree.  It sounded unnecessarily confusing, and I'm thinking it may have played a part in Sharken's loss.

Oh, gosh, don't tell me the "Alakazam" garbage has caught on so much that people are making T-shirts out it?

Wonder why the Turntable didn't come around completely at the beginning of Flip Flop?  Not a problem, I say.  We got to see it turn a little bit. :)

The new Showcase endings have to stop, plain and simple.  They sound so unnecessarily redundant and ambiguous.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.