Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/01/2008  (Read 37506 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/01/2008
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
I know that you're not satisfied with the show right now, and yes, the Port O'Price showcase seemed a little unorthodox, but methinks sarcasm that IMO is showing in your remarks isn't exactly helping matters.

Except for my first comment about 3 Strikes, nothing I've said in this thread was meant sarcastically.

As for the remark about Three Strikes being harder, could you provide the link to that discussion, please?

Y'know, I can't find the damn thing now.

You make it sound like Drew nearly brought the guy to tears.  It was a dumb bid and Drew cracked a few jokes about it to fill time.  Chase took it all in good stride.  No harm, no foul. 

And I can't imagine Roger "letting Drew have it" over something like this.  If he would've, then Roger needs to get over it...it was a joke, fun, lighthearted jabbing.

I agree.  There are a lot of things happening at the show right now that we aren't overreacting to, but this isn't one of them.

I don't know what was more painful... seeing the awful changes to Three Strikes in action, or realizing that it will most likely be played every week now, setting it up for a Plinko-like overkill.

On the contrary -- John has more or less implied that it's in danger of being retired.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:42:34 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »
Looks like 3 strikes went back to the old rules that were in place up until the early 1990s.  I wonder if these rules appled on the 1994 doug Davidson Price is Right?
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »
Game #14 (#6,935)

Showcase #1
Captain's Cape Cod Telescope - $1,980
Trip to London - $5,956
Dodge Charger - $23,630

Showcase #2
Corsican Day Bed - $4,199
TuffStuff AXT3 Home Gym - $2,599
Ducati Monster S4RS Special Edition Motorcycle - $15,495

Total show prize value:  $151,846 (19 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 9, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $97,976 (Gwennie Osborne, 2006)
Low:  $14,190 (Nikki Ziering, 2001)

Rachel Reynolds
October 9
Total dollars:  $60,927
($10,728 won, $50,199 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (4-3)
Cars, Trips: 2, 0

After 8 shows
Total dollars:  $538,320
($241,370 won, $296,950 lost)
Total prizes:  68 (44-24)
Cars, Trips: 8, 9 (3-5, 5-4)

Brandi Sherwood
October 9
Total dollars:  $63,841
($43,885 won, $19,956 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (7-2)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 8 shows
Total dollars:  $449,509
($192,104 won, $257,405 lost)
Total prizes:  66 (39-27)
Cars, Trips: 8, 10 (4-4, 4-6)

Tamiko Nash
October 9
Total dollars:  $41,855
($11,410 won, $30,445 lost)
Total prizes:  5 (3-2)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 8 shows
Total dollars:  $633,593
($185,892 won, $447,701 lost)
Total prizes:  62 (40-22)
Cars, Trips: 12, 5 (3-9, 3-2)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:35 PM »
Okay, Brian, Army found the post, which turned out to be on Invision.  With random guessing, the odds of winning went down from 33% to 21%; with perfect pricing (not in that post, but figured out by Army), they went down from 63% to 43%.

And Eddie, these rules were only used on the Davidson version.

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
Clock Game was awkward. I could hear that Terrah never got into the 60's before Drew said she was right. But once the host has said the contestant is correct and announces what the price is, what can they do? Then they don't start the clock on time for the second prize, but at least Terrah won the fireplace legitimately within those 21 seconds.

Watching Port o' Price in widescreen reveals that you can see past either side of the front of the wall. I could see the boat go by and I could see the day bed before it appeared.

3 Strikes loses pretty much all of its grandeur when it's played for an ordinary car and with three strikes in the bag. Yes, it was played that way for years and years, but it also didn't feel like a special game for all of those years and years. It feels so wrong to take that reputation away from the game. And soon they're going to go back to putting one strike in the bag? It's like they couldn't visualize how much of a rapid letdown the game is with three strikes in the bag without seeing an actual contestant playing it, then they realized what a bad idea this was.

And Drew trying to defend the change by saying that they're trying to speed the game up, but it wasn't his fault. Yeah, I'm sure he was right in there trying to prevent the change to this "tedious, numbing" game.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:40 AM »
Just so I know: Of the three changes to 3 Strikes, which ones are permanent and which ones were one-time things?  I believe the three strikes in a bag was one-time.

On the contrary -- John has more or less implied that it's in danger of being retired.
Could you identify where John said this?

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
Just so I know: Of the three changes to 3 Strikes, which ones are permanent and which ones were one-time things?  I believe the three strikes in a bag was one-time.

The last time we heard about the rules to 3 Strikes established that the show is now using a 1-strike, first number given format. Unless they have changed the rules yet again and nobody has seen a taping with the game, these are the current, now permanent rules.

As far as we know, they could've tweaked the format again.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
The IUFB Intros are not as awful as those bloody showcase prize recaps, but it's another thing that'll take some time for me to get used to.

Clock: I also noticed Terrell not quite saying "65, 66, 67, etc.". Error or not, Very nice.

IITB: The $3.99 product really got me. But after seeing the other items were obviously not, It makes sense to me now. Chase was wise to bail out at $2K.

3 Strikes: Well, I gotta say that to be honest with all of you..I'm not very happy (nor am I very sad) about the three strikes being put back in the bag. But I'm a bit upset now that non-luxury cars are being played for and the first number being given out. It just doesn't feel right. I'm really hoping this doesn't go in overplaying overkill like Plinko. Why on god's green earth would Drew call it "Tedious"? Why Drew Why? Too bad about the loss.

Balance: $16K threw me to a loop.

Money: 25 was one of my guesses. Good job.

Double: Very nice.

Showcases: A themeless Showcase #1??!! Can this get any more weirder? I mean I enjoyed the hilarious shots of Rachel and Tamiko, but with no theme just makes it just awkward and strange. The opening and unneccessary lines in Showcase #2 made it less enjoyable. Well, Chase may have known that $37K bid doomed the TW already (Even I felt he needed to bid $1 at least). Drew may have meant what he said as a joke.

A 2.50 star-show.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
Could you identify where John said this [about 3 Strikes]?

Sure.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2008, 03:45:10 AM »
Other than Drew's put down of Chase's Showcase bid,

This was at least the most energetic show that I have seen from Drew in quite some time.  He made it enjoyable rather than just "being there."

As to:

Well, Drew was at least somewhat apologetic at the start of 3 Strikes saying it wasn't his fault for the change. Still sad that it has been tinkered with so much that it is gonna be retired.

Why would they change the rules twice this season, and than be a rumor to retire this game?  However,  I do miss the playing for luxury cars.

I am not bothered so much by the Showcase prize recaps or some of the mild changes to the IUFB descriptions, so long as this is not overdone.  What I hate is the silly jokes.  This is supposed to be The Price is Right, not the Drew Carey Comedy Hour.

Joe

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »
The Square wrote (regarding Three Strikes):
And Drew trying to defend the change by saying that they're trying to speed the game up, but it wasn't his fault. Yeah, I'm sure he was right in there trying to prevent the change to this "tedious, numbing" game.

Uh, I don't think it's his job to say, "Hey, we need to keep X-game just as it is." He is not executive producer, and I'm not sure that he has any creative control over anything with the show other than his hosting duties.

Brian

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:14 AM »
Clock Game was really messed up.  Terrell was into the $850's and said "$859" and not the actual price.  I wonder if the reason behind the clock not starting on time for the second prize was because someone heard Drew incorrectly awarding the prize, when she still had $10 to go.

Okay, I find it weird that the first non-luxury car offered in 3 Strikes had the music that Syd wanted to be the main theme years back.

3 Strikes, it seems it has all the charm and soul sucked out of it now that it's played for normal cars for the first time in 15 years.  Although it's nice that Drew admitted he wasn't personally responsible for changing the game, that still doesn't change the fact the staff changed something that should have been left alone.  The staff failed to realize that even though the first number is given for free, the game is harder now with all three strike chips in the bag.

Okay, I thought having Rich say all the showcase prizes at the end was bad, but those corny descriptions are worse!  It is kind of like how when anime shows were dubbed for North American audiences, they dumbed it down with stupid dialogues when compared to the original.

The showcases were just bad today, with the first one having no theme, and they totally killed the Port O'Price showcase by inserting things like "From the Internet" among other lines.

I will voice my opinion right now, and I think I am this close to giving up on the show.  The way the show is turning more comic is just doing nothing for me and it actually makes me not enjoy watching as much as I used to.  I suppose I could give the show another chance, but if I can't stand it anymore, I will just get up and just go do something else with an hour of my day.  I may even not post as regularly as I normally do because I will feel there's no reason to discuss a show that I don't enjoy anymore.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:26:34 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
Uh, I don't think it's his job to say, "Hey, we need to keep X-game just as it is." He is not executive producer, and I'm not sure that he has any creative control over anything with the show other than his hosting duties.

He may not officially be an executive producer, but he certainly had enough influence to get the Big Wheel repainted.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
Drew became the "de facto" executive producer of the show after Roger left.

I don't think there is one TV show with a major personality attached to it that the star is not the top dog.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »
Clock Game:  Good job! :-)
It's In The Bag:  Good thing Chase walked with the $2,000! :-)
3 Strikes:  Too bad! :-(  I like that they give the contestant the first number now, but I don't like that they went back to putting three strikes in the bag.
Balance Game:  Too bad! :-(
Money Game:  Great job! :-)  Too bad Barry didn't go with 25 right after 17 instead of going 95 then 25.  Once I knew 17 was the front end of the car, I knew 25 would be the back end.
Double Prices:  Nice job! :-)
Showcases:  I knew what Chase was doing when he only bid $6,500.  I thought that Melissa overbid too.

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!