Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008  (Read 45062 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »

- No music.  Okay, when, EVER, has a showcase been presented without music?  In fact, no PRIZE has ever been offered (one bid, pricing game) without having some music behind it.  It was very weird to hear that... silence.

Actually, there was one Showcase last year that had no background music, except for the prize cues. It was actually the "TPIR Symphony" showcase.

And also, was the piano that Mark played one that's offered as a prize?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
I thought Drew was fairly good today...although, as usual, his antics during his entrance were bizarre.

I hate the lack of small prize games.  This is the fourth show in a row without one.

The whole deal with Mark playing the piano was kinda neat.  It reminded me of when Bob used to let choirs sing in Contestants' Row.

The first showcase could have been neat, but it hurt that there was no real explanation of what they were doing (and that hurt the second showcase too, really, but we've already been through that in another thread).  Even that might not have been as bad as it was, because it was pretty clear that they had a rhyming thing going...except they freely admitted that the first rhyme was contrived.  That's something that should only be done with the third prize, so they can give off the impression that they were bound and determined to get it into the prize package...it doesn't work when you imply that you were desperate to include a sewing machine!  There have actually been some decent showcase ideas aired in the last couple weeks...but they need someone who knows how to analyze them and figure out issues like this before they tape the show.  (ROGER, for instance.)

I did like how Rich inhaled more helium before signing off, though.  That was funny.

(By the way, show of hands:  Did anybody not know what the second showcase was going to be when Kylee bid $6,000?)

"Whaddaya say we get outta town, Drew, with this luggage?" doesn't work very well as an IUFB intro when Drew's just given a speech promising to find a winner.  That makes another reason they shouldn't be trying to script ad libs.

...and wow, where's the love for this episode?  I know the Showcase left a bit to be desired, but I think calling it "the worst show of the Drew era" is a massive exaggeration.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show today. Loved all the piano antics, especially Mark getting piano music as opposed to the regular theme when he won his game.

Ooo, I forgot about that!  That was neat, too.  Weird, mind you -- the music didn't really sound right as a celebration of a pricing game win -- but still neat given the circumstances.

Wow, HI LO had a tough setup.  I don't know if anybody would have picked the marinade before the Gold Bond.

The Gold Bond was right, Nick.  Cynthia's mistake was picking the mouthwash.

In response to Nick's comment about the second showcase, which I'm not going to quote because my computer's donwloading a McAfee update and as a result is moving like a snail...I don't think I agree with all of the things he said about it, but yes, it did have problems.  The showcase in and of itself wasn't bad, but it was just kinda there for no reason.  If they'd done something as simple as framing it as "Rich Fields takes another dreaded announcer's test," with him explaining the various odd things he had to do to pass it, that would have solved most of the problems.

Do you think that the production staff, Drew, Fingers, etc., read the Golden Road thread? Or do they dismiss it for whatever reason?

My sense is I think they appreciate our honest thoughts and opinions, but that's just me, as a longtime TPiR fan who has seen far worse, speaking.

Brian

Do I think they read our comments?  Yes, I do.

Do I think they dismiss them?  Cripe, I hope not.

Why?  Well, don't you think at some point they are going to quit caring to hear what we have to say when the negative posts on this board are so predictable it's not even funny.  Not only that, but negative about the most minute things.  While I think the threads that critique the changes of a game are good for them to see.  Some of these other issues are ridiculous.

Roger ran the show for decades by giving a damn about the most minute things.  If anything, we're carrying on his tradition of caring about them.  I don't see why we ought to be mocked for that, especially on our own site.

What was wrong with today's Showcase #1?  So they got stuff to rhyme with the prizes.  What was the problem?  Is everyone unhappy because they didn't come up with a childish story to go along with prizes?

Actually, yes -- that is exactly what was wrong with it.  It just started with no explanation for why they were doing rhymes.  The explanation doesn't even have to be complicated -- it can be something as stupid as, "This showcase contains prizes revealed as we attempt to find words that rhyme with them."  But it needs to be there.

Plus, GRECO ain't new to this. I don't know why everybody thinks she's gonna wreck the plane.

But she is new to it.  Fingers has been at the show for a long time, but this is the first time she's ever had to do most of the things Roger did, or even think about doing them.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »

As for the ban, no.  I don't want a ban on negative comments...just a ban on redundant whining.

Which you seem to consider anything that isn't "Season 37 can do no wrong."
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:31 PM »
Do you all get "it now?  Is everything you read on my site making sense?  Do you see what I mwant wyhen I said the show is becoming less of "TPiR * D.C." and more like "The D.C. Show * TPiR?  You need to understand it's going to be this type of "senseless" funny from here on out. 

And if you thought today's door entrance was bizarre (I wish I could remember the date it happens), there's the "peace de resistance" entrance coming up in one of the November shows I saw.  Trust me when I tell you today's entrance was BANNER PERFECT compared to this one.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »
Do you all get "it now? 

Yes. And I don't have a problem with "it."
Signatures are overrated.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

And if you thought today's door entrance was bizarre (I wish I could remember the date it happens), there's the "peace de resistance" entrance coming up in one of the November shows I saw.  Trust me when I tell you today's entrance was BANNER PERFECT compared to this one.

I am getting frightening Gene Rayburn vibes.... I hope they've got another Barker Wall in storage.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »
I am getting frightening Gene Rayburn vibes.... I hope they've got another Barker Wall in storage.

I'm pretty sure I know what Willy's talking about here, and if I'm right, I think I can safely say the Barker Wall is intact.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
Triple Play:  A wipeout - how awful! :cry:
Flip Flop:  Flipped when she shoulda flopped - doh! :-(
Eazy Az 123:  Good job! :-)  I liked Mark's piano playing before the commercial break before the ARPs of the showcase were revealed :-)
Double Prices:  Too bad! :-(
Lucky Seven:  Ouch! :-(  I thought the 4th number would be low too, seeing how the 3rd number was 6. 8-O
Hi Lo:  I knew Cynthia was going to lose as soon as she picked the mouthwash instead of the Ester C! :headbang:
Showcases:  I thought the second showcase was pretty funny myself.  Might have been a little better with background music, but pretty funny nonetheless.  Nice to see Rich on camera again as well. :-)

Not too good today! :-(
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »
I sense a theme. Drew took over and now everything sucks no matter what is done. Please relax people. It's just a game show, as loved as it is. It's not life or death. It's not something to get worked up over. It is what it is. If today's 2nd showcase was bad, well they were trying something different. Nothing wrong with being not Bob. It just didn't work in this case. It happens. Not everything the Bob era had was gold.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »
I sense a theme. Drew took over and now everything sucks no matter what is done.

I beg to differ.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:57 PM »
May I ask why?  You keep saying that all this stuff going on with the Showcase is wonderful, but I don't think I've seen you explain that statement yet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:16:03 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Triple Play:  Ouch.  There was no way in my mind that the car was under $16,000.  Unfortunately, Hector wasn't thinking the same way.  Also, I'm getting sick of Drew forgetting to reveal the actual price.

Flip Flop:  This one was pretty easy.  It was pretty obvious that Kylee needed to "Flop" and she didn't.

Eazy as 1-2-3:  Methinks Drew was getting desperate a bit too early.  Still, the win here ultimately saved the show from a skunk, and probably helped prevent Drew from getting too depressed from the losses so as to ruin the show.

Showcase Showdown 1:  Hector was tantalizingly close to getting that $1.00.  Too bad.  Bart did a good job with the close-up, though.

Double Prices:  What?!  I was expecting to see a game with small prizes here.  The only thing that would have been worse in this spot was Pick-a-Number.  Also, Julie lost due to a tough setup.

Lucky $even:  A short car game, as well.  That 9 was particularly evil, but the game was still winnable.  I, for one, had a sense that it was coming, followed by a 5 for the last number.  I think the best strategy would have been to pick a 6 for the fourth number, which would have kept Antonia in the game as long as it wasn't a 1 or 2.  The 5 was then a dead giveaway.

Hi-Lo:  I knew Cynthia had lost when she failed to pick the Ester-C.  Also, the sound effects lady got a little mixed up -- maybe she isn't so "mighty" after all!  :D

Showcases:  Well, there isn't much I can say here that hasn't been discussed already.  I have to agree pretty much with what Nick said earlier.  I'd like to re-emphasize that one of the biggest problems with this showcase (and the one last Friday) is that it lacks any story to go along with it.  The slapstick humor (which I think is better suited for David Letterman's "Stupid Human Tricks") would at least be passable if there was some sense behind it.  The lack of music didn't help, either.  Maybe Mark should have started playing the piano a little earlier. ;-) 

Mark's piano playing was probably the highlight of the show -- he did an excellent job under the pressure of being on national television.  Even if he made a mistake and hit a wrong note, he kept going and didn't lose the rhythm. 

I usually don't rate or grade the shows, but this one gets a big fat "F."  The pricing game lineup was extremely poor, only one game was won, and the second showcase didn't fit the show at all.  The only good parts of the show in my opinion seemed to be whenever Mark was on camera.

Also, it doesn't help any that I double-overbid in CSS, destroying a 7-day no-Over streak. :headbang:

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 10:55:24 PM »
May I ask why?  You keep saying that all this stuff going on with the Showcase is wonderful, but I don't think I've seen you explain that statement yet.

Sure. I will gladly explain myself.

I honestly do not mind all of these changes being brought forth on Price. Sure, I get that this is not the same Price is Right we used to know and love, but I enjoy this one. Yes, I enjoyed the "Bob and Dob" years of Price, and even the "Drew and Dob" year. But really is change all THAT bad? I mean, the ratings were declining, and maybe this version of The Price is Right could bring them back up. I enjoy the comedy sketches, and the silliness. If Drew and Rich want to have a good time at their job, then by all means, let them. And, for the first time in years, I find myself rushing to the computer to see what moment I missed from that day's show, everyday! Sure, Drew still has things to work on, but come on, no one will ever reach the hosting ability of Bob Barker. However, what many people have failed to realize, is that the main aspects of the show are still there. There's still the 6 One bids, 6 pricing games, 2 showcase showdowns, and 2 showcases. There's still the wonderful prizes. Obviously, there are things that still have to be worked on. But that's what happens when you leave a show in the hands of someone who's never run it before. I don't mind this new version of The Price is Right. I look forward to enjoying each and every show.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:01:52 PM by Todd »

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
I just want to comment that I think the piano bit was sort of something like Bob used to do with someone having a talent (choirs, etc.), so I enjoyed it.  It made the focus on a CONTESTANT which is what we all love to see.

However, I do understand that it took close to "one hour" per a source in the studio to execute that bit.  They probably could have given the contestant that piano for less than it cost them in studio time!!!

As for the Showcase creativity, it was something sorta "neat," but I really agree that with no lead in, intro, or music it did NOT carry well on TV.  I want to see Rich as much as everyone else, but I don't think it worked as well as they thought on paper.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:32:09 PM by ClockGameJohn »
John

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »
Today was the first day I finally had a chance to watch "Price" (note the quotations) since reading about what's going down in 33 (and I seriously mean going down).  I'll leave my rant for another thread, but anyhow...

I'm sorry.  What show am I watching?  That's what I asked myself many times throughout today's episode.  The goofy antics, the highs and lows, the extremely wordy descriptions, and repeating contestant names over and over that are not a Kimberly. :P  There are many aspects which have been lambasted at over and over already in the thread here, but things no longer click.  

My highlight for the show was Mark's piano playing right after the Showcases.  It's nice to see something out of the ordinary once in a while.  It would've been even better if he played the theme; that would've been awesome. :D  Nonetheless, something to get my mind off of the shadows of Price.  

Showcases showcases.  Good ideas, horrible execution.  Always rehearse beforehand and work out the kinks, or else wind up with a trainwreck.  It seemed that they used up too many words introducing prizes earlier in the show and ran out for the Showcases.  

Unfortunately, it seems that there will come a day when the clock strikes 11AM, and I'll no longer watch "Price".