Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/08/2008  (Read 27713 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/08/2008
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »
The Price is Right - Oct. 8, 2008
Production #4463K - Taped Aug. 5, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left  
Handoff: Gabrielle

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Tamiko Nash and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Issue

1   Honda CRF80 Offroad Motorcycle (L)
FERN 1300 LAWRENCE 1800 JACQUELINE 2000 LINDSEY *2001 ($2184)

Lindsey from Iowa MOST EXPENSIVE

Howard Miller Southhaven Wine Cabinet (T)PICK$3385WIN!
Motorized Treadmill (G)1800
"Big Green Egg" Smoker/Grill (L)1175

2   Stainless Popcorn Cart (T)
+Fern 599 +Lawrence 500 +Jacqueline 635 JEFFREY *800 ($1419)

Jeffrey from San Diego, CA plays PUNCHBOARD

GAME CHANGE: There is now one $25,000 slip and only one $10,000 slip. Everything else remains the same.

Toiletry Bag$9HIGHER$17*(43)50
Laptop Tool Set80LOWER50*( 4 )250
(Memorex) Karaoke System20HIGHER40*(26)50sc(24)   500
(Big Bobber) Cooler40LOWER30*(39)1000LOSS

3   2 Meyda Tiffany Wild Sunflower Lamps (G)
+Fern 2000 +Lawrence *475 +Jacqueline 1900 KELSEY 450 ($1050)

Lawrence from Redding, CA plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a Chrysler PT Cruiser LX (Std., 4 cyl., AC, Mats)(T)($18,465)

$13,455 $14,310 $15,981 $16,490 $18,012 $19,578
LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1Spinoff
$1,050Lawrence90 stay.90.35
2,556Jeffrey20 + 35.55
8,544Lindsey55 + 35.90.80Through to Showcase Round

4   (Sony Handicam) MiniDV Camcorder (from above)
+Fern 1 MICHAEL 699 Jacqueline *899 Kelsey 799 ($1500)

Jacqueline from Baton Rouge, LA plays 2 FOR THE PRICE ON 1 for a Pier 1 Clifton Sofa (G) and a trip to Carmel, CA (via Monterrey; 5n)(L)($5705)

SetupFreePickPrice
4 4 34 4 34 34    3
$ $ $$ $ 74 6 78 4 7
8 6 78 686LOSS

5   2 Model Train Sets (T)
+Fern 650 Michael *651 JACKLYN 560 Kelsey 1500 ($1232)

Michael plays BULLSEYE for a Ford Mustang (Std., 4.0L, AirBags, AC, Stereo, Wheels, AT)(G)($21,525)

(3) (Purina Cat Chow) Cat Food (bag)2 x 3.99$7.98*[SORRY]
(4) (Jelly Belly) Jelly Beans (bag)2 x 2.995.98*[SORRY]
(2) (Pillsburty) Grands Cinnamon Rolls4 x 3.4913.96SORRY
(1) Clorox Bleach
(5) (Zatarain's) Creole SeasoningBULLSEYELOSS

Fern is getting a bit nervous. She's been stuck in the Row from the start, and Mimi is giving her that look - the one that says "You're next", as in 'You're next to be banished to the "First Four" Breakfast Club.' Fern has the last bid. Will she use it wisely?

6   Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawer Dishwasher (L)
+Fern *1251 CHRISTOPHER 599 Jacklyn 1250 Kelsey 875 ($1399)

Fern escapes! She plays PUSHOVER for a (Dell) Desktop Computer with a Computer Desk & Hutch (G&T)

Setup:6 5 4 3 0 3 8 7 9
Pick:6 5[4 2 0 3]
Price:$4203   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,232Michael60 +  35.95Through to Showcase Round
1,500Jacqueline50 +  20.70
5,602Fern75 +100OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Lindsey has the honor.

SC1-Lindsey OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD (G as Dorothy...and Toto, too.)
Assorted Garden Tools
Trip to Madrid (6n)
Ford Explorer SXT (Std., Stereo)
BID$23,200
PRICE37,480
DIFF–14,280
SC2-Michael Pulaski Casa Cristina Bedroom Group
Bemco Posture Fairfax Sleep Set (L)
His/Hers Golf Equipment (T)
EZ GO Freedom SE Golf Cart (L&T)
BID$16,103
PRICE21,766
DIFF–5,663
TOTAL$22,998

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $42,260

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:27:23 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/08/2008
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:04:13 PM »
Good show today. I definitely enjoyed it much better than yesterday's offering. Drew did very well at times today-especially during the 1st SCSD in my opinion. Though he went a bit over the top with things during Bullseye however.

Speaking of Bullseye, that was awesome seeing it as the only car game of the 2nd half. Sure beats seeing a random playing of Pass the Buck or Let 'Em Roll.  :P  As far as how it was played, Michael played, to put it bluntly, quite badly. That was probably one of the worst playings of the game i've seen in years.

Speaking of another game played quite badly, why in the world did Jacqueline think that sofa was $4xx in 2 For the Price of 1. She did well in selecting the 3rd digit free, but threw it all away when she went with the 4 for the first number. I will admit however that 2nd digit was downright tricky. Yet she should not have lost the way she did.

I wish Bob had been around for today's That's Too Much. Lawrence just didn't get it. Drew kept prodding him to say it, but he just kept saying "I'm stopping there, stop." It was hillarious when Drew pointed to the name of the game and all of a sudden it was like a light went off in Lawrence's head. I can just imagine how Bob would have handled this.  :P

Pushover was quite simply a pushover today for the LFAT's of the show. Considering the first price is never right (as far as how the Dob set things up and I believe this was still one of his episodes) this was a cinch to win. $3879 probably would have enticed a lot of contestants however, but still this was a pretty easy set up because $6542 or $5420 simply looked wayyyyyy too high. Nice job by Fern not getting fooled.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
What the hell did Drew reveal the cinnamon rolls for when he was looking for the hidden bullseye?!  Can you imagine the cluster**** that would have caused if that had been where Roger had hidden it?  They'd have had to award the car!  (And you mark my words:  If he keeps making screwups like this, sooner or later, that's exactly what's going to end up happening.)

It seemed weird to have Drew not tell Jeffrey to imitate Chuck Norris during Punch a Bunch.  Then again, though, most of the contestants last year didn't do that very well, anyway.

Did anyone else find it strange that the car in Bullseye was $3,000 more expensive than the one in That's Too Much!?

I'm pleasantly surprised that 2 for the Price of 1 has already shown up twice.

Speaking of 2 for the Price of 1, I'd like to know where Jacqueline buys her furniture.

The first showcase worked fairly well...but it didn't make sense to start it the way they did.  It gave the impression that we already knew what the theme would be, and obviously, we didn't.  The line about the poppies didn't really make sense, either.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
What the hell did Drew reveal the cinnamon rolls for when he was looking for the hidden bullseye?!  Can you imagine the cluster**** that would have caused if that had been where Roger had hidden it?
Hey, Drew's dodged these low-chance bullets before. However, you're right - one of these times the odds will cause the budget some. My brain also perked up at his mistake.

Not too bad today - SCs were better, good contestants, and somehow the Chrysler went up by $1030. :/

B
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:10:13 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »
I honestly dont think drew knows exactly what to do in bullseye if they get to the hidden bullseye portion of the game, he looked kinda lost and then ended up not doing it right. I cant remember if he has been in the situation and done it correctly before.

I did like him forcing the contestant to say "THATS TOO MUCH!", there were some episodes last year where he just let the contestant stop without saying the magic words
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
If my record is correct, today was the first time Bullseye has been lost during the Drew Carey Era.  It was last lost on January 5, 2007 in Season 35, with a 19 game winning streak since then.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
Wow.  Both showcases were completely normal today :)!  A normal (albiet unexplained) theme showcase, followed by a normal, er, normal showcase.

Can't tell you how relieved I was that the hidden bullseye was not behind the cinnamon rolls.  You know, speaking of Bullseye, I wonder if we'll see any products in the future that Bullseye can't be won with?

Why were the numbers reversed in Two for the Price of One?  It doesn't really make sense for the higher numbers not to be physically higher.

Anyone know why Drew's not been going all the way back to the big doors for games behind the big doors?  It looks like they're always going to play Double Prices or Side by Side now.

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
I taped this episode but havent watched the tape yet. Just saw the summary now. Has the Drew dollar bill changed on the Punch a Bunch game?
That's Too Much: Who would've thought a PT Cruiser would be near $20,000.
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »
Drew-lovers, was today's gag entrance still funny, even though he did the same dang junk yesterday?

That's too Much! really needs something comparable to Bob's "rehearsal."  For it to lack that special element and just have Drew stand there when the contestant doesn't say, "that's too much!" made the game bland.

Drew's quiver, arrow, and target analogy in Bullseye collapsed on its face.  He's explained some games poorly in his time, but that was just about the most convoluted explanation I've ever seen him give.

Speaking of Bullseye, I do not understand how Michael managed to screw up as badly as he did.  I can't say I was fond of him and his antics.  I was not pleased to see him win the Showcase.

The good thing about today's show:  Bullseye as the second half car game.  Roger, you are awesome.

What the hell did Drew reveal the cinnamon rolls for when he was looking for the hidden bullseye?!  Can you imagine the cluster**** that would have caused if that had been where Roger had hidden it? ...

I'd really like to think you'd be wrong about this, but I can't deny that I don't see it far from happening.

Did anyone else find it strange that the car in Bullseye was $3,000 more expensive than the one in That's Too Much!?

Nah, I mean, Roger always put the more expensive prizes in Bullseye instead of Grocery Game, so it's only natural that he'd place the more expensive cars in Bullseye. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:10:45 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »
I didn't like how Drew was making a big deal about Michael "sleeping on the sidewalk since midnight" to see the show. That's what everyone does...

Yay for the first dog on TPIR since the Bob era! A little bigger than Toto, but we'll let it slide. ;-)

Got to love Michael being excited over a measly furniture showcase. Too bad he broke the bed. :lol:

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Michael, an early Contestant of the Season candidate
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
Parts of the show were ok today, and the showcases were a little more normal, which is good.

One of my favorite games, Bullseye (still a favorite, in spite of how it hardly ever seems to do the "cool awesome big to little bright flash" anymore) was just butchered today. I did think it was funny how Drew said it was really easy and then proceeded to totally bungle the explanation. However, I don't think he ever fully recovered from that. He just seemed lost the rest of the game, after he stuttered and ummed and uhhed his way through the rules. The hidden bullseye reveals felt strange, almost as if Drew didn't understand what he was doing himself. He revealed the one he should not have (because the contestant missed the target totally with that product), and then said absolutely nothing as he proceeded to reveal the other two hidden bullseyes. This is Bullseye for a fairly nice car (compared to the other car game in that half), so why not say something during the reveal?

It felt like Drew forgot the rules because he mentioned checking for the hidden bullseye in the places he did "because the contestant chose those three products," and we all know that isn't the full reason a contestant can win using the hidden bullseye...unless there's been some rule change I'm unaware of...again, not wanting to give them any more bad ideas at this point... :-?

At least overall, this was a step up from yesterday's episode.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
They'd have had to award the car!  (And you mark my words:  If he keeps making screwups like this, sooner or later, that's exactly what's going to end up happening.)

Yeah they've never had a technical win before. :) He has 75 games or so to know. Bob had a huge advantage in that he learned the 75 games basically 1 at a time. Drew didn't have that. That's why I give him a pass at times with that. The thing is, if he's doing a poor job, than it's Fingers and Stan's job to set him straight.

I didn't like how Drew was making a big deal about Michael "sleeping on the sidewalk since midnight" to see the show. That's what everyone does...

Bob did the same thing often. I think they do it partially because I'm not sure the average viewer at home knows that. Remember, we're a hell of alot more "in the know" than the average viewer

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »

Yes.  Bullseye, a notoriously easy game, being played for a Mustang seems out of context. 

Anyone else think we can cut out any confusion in this game by just getting rid of the hidden bullseye already?  You get 3 chances to show that you are good at pricing groceries.  Seems like enough shots to me.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
One Bid 1: I said 2149 for the motorcicle. I would've gone up.

Most Expensive: That's a huge wine cabinet. Once again, I was a little confused about all the prizes (maybe not the Big Green Egg), but just saying the wine cabinet is huge made me want to pick that.

One Bid 2: I said 1400. I would've went up again.

Punch-a-Bunch: Only one $25,000 slip? That's gonna bring down the win record. I would've kept the $550. Bad decision.

That's Too Much!: I would've stopped at the seventh price and still lose.

2 For the Price of 1: It was good for Jacqueline to pick the last number free. I stopped "helping" when she picked 4 as the first number. "You're on your own."

One Bid 5: 1200 for the train set. Score one for me again.

bullseye. tried three cat foods and won tried four jelly beans and won tried three rolls and won

One Bid 6: 1251 for the dish drawer dishwasher. Kinda nice gadget. I think I need to be at the studio again.

Push Over: My guesses were either 3879 or 4203.

Showcases: My girlfriend would enjoy the Dorothy Showcase. I just wanted to know if Toto was real. He was.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Well, Punch-a-Bunch is harder to win now, with only one $25,000 slip and one $10,000 slip.  If Roger was still with the show, how would he have re-distributed the amounts while raising the payouts?

I guess the Chuck Norris gag didn't work out or Drew chose not to do it this time.

I wonder where Jacqueline shops, because that sofa looked like it could be pretty expensive.

Wow, Bullseye for a car, and a nice one too!  The last time we saw that was on June 21, 2006, with a $25,000+ Chrysler Pacifica!  My hat's off to Roger for making Bullseye the second half's only car game.

Drew really explained Bullseye badly, mainly because the metaphor between an arrow and target didn't work and it lost pretty much everyone.  Also, the show could have given away a car on a technicality if the hidden bullseye was behind the cinnamon rolls.  If Drew doesn't get these little rule bits down pat, the show could potentially give away prizes that shouldn't have been awarded if the game was presented properly.

I should note that instead of "Secret Bullseye", Drew apparently called it the "Second Chance Bullseye" today.

Is today the first time Golden Road's rainbow has been used outside of that game?  I guess they used it to allude to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" since it revolved around Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.

That's too Much! really needs something comparable to Bob's "rehearsal."  For it to lack that special element and just have Drew stand there when the contestant doesn't say, "that's too much!" made the game bland.

In my opinion, with all the time cuts, it's best if Drew doesn't rehearse saying "That's Too Much!" As much as it was a charm of the game when Bob was hosting, they need all the time they can get to use on other segments.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."