Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008  (Read 20676 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
The Price is Right - Oct. 9, 2008
Production #4464K - Taped Aug. 11, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Shane Stirling
Wearing: Scala

1   American Pennant Day Sailer (R)
TARIN 1200 ANNA 1150 AUSTIN 1300 STACIE *1325 ($3695)

Stacie plays SWITCH?

Drop Front Secretary (S)$2500NO$2500
Kawasaki KX100 Offroad Motorcycle (L)$3349SWITCH$3349WIN!

2   Royal Doulton Countess China Dinnerware (S)
+Tarin *800 +Anna 1500 +Austin 1499 DONNA 675 ($1144)
STUPID BID

Tarin from Huntington Beach, CA plays GAS MONEY for a Ford F-150 (Std., AC)(R)

1.(3) $24,511
2.(1) $24.511+3000
3.(4) $26,938+1000
4.(2) $21,825+2000
5.(5) $19,120TRUCKLOSS

3   Morrow His/Hers Snowboard Equipment (L)
CATHERINE 2500 +Anna *423 +Austin 1200 Donna 800 ($765)

Anna plays 5-Number SQUEEZE PLAY for a Yamaha Baby Grand Piano (R)

Setup:1 3 1 4 9 5
Pick:$ 1 3 4 9 5
Price:$ 1 3 1 9 5   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$765Anna  85 stay.85
1,144Tarin1001.00*$1000*   Bonus 75   Through to Showcase Round
9,544Stacey  35 + 30.65

4   Croton Stainless His/Her Watches (from above)
Catherine 1 CARLA 1200 +Austin *1000 Donna 1201 ($1000)

Austin takes possession of the $500 wad and plays MAKE YOUR MARK

(1) Runco 42" Plasma HDTV (R)(3)* $2159* $3995(1)
(2) Murrey Amador Pool Table (L)(2)$3399* $1589
(3) 30" Stainless Range (S)Keeps the marker...LOSS

5   ecotots Playroom Set (R)
Catherine 400 Carla 655 FLORENTE 200 Donna *575 ($620)
STUPID BID

Donna plays MONEY GAME for a Pontiac G6 (Fairly loaded)(S)

1995-53780
2119-151-420-3
5121-265-bk43
$186$20 9 ––   LOSS

6   Jane Wooset Scott Canvas: "The Life of Riley" (S)
Catherine *1000 Carla 801 Florente 900 RUSSELL 2100 ($1270)

Catherine from Minnesota plays NOW...OR THEN for a trip to Amsterdam (6n @ Hilton)(R)($7340)

"Then" is Dec. 1999

(6) (Pam) Nonstick Spray2.99THENTHEN*
(1) Gold Bond Ultiate Healing9.12NOWNOW*
(2) (Birds Eye) Steamfresh Corn1.69THENNOW
(5) Ester C Supplement (1000)13.49NOWNOW*   WIN!
(3) (Bruce's)Yams (15 oz)
(4) (V8) Vegetable Cocktail

SHOWDOWN #2
$806Donna45 + 95OV
2,000Austin70 stay.70Through to Showcase Round
8,610Catherine40 + 65OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Tarin has the honor.

SC1-Tarin RICH READS TOUNGUE TWISTERS (On a bet with Drew)
Miele Washer/Dryer (L)
Great Lakes GL4 Spa
Fleetwood Prowler 230RKS 28.9' Travel Trailer (L)
BID$25,800
PRICE33,955
DIFF–8,155
TOTAL$36,099
SC2-Austin SCURVY PIRATE BOOTY (Narrated pirate-style. "R.")
VocoPro Sonic Station Karaoke System (R)
Deluxe Espresso/Cappuccino Machine (S)
Yamaha Venture LIght Snowmobile (R&S)
BID$18,000
PRICE16,289
DIFFOVER

I'll say it now. Shane makes one plug ugly pirate, matey.

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $57,824

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:26:14 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:27:34 PM »
Today’s show is a perfect example how Price now has both good elements and bad elements.  (It used just have good elements)

Drew was in a very good mood today and it showed in many of the games.

However, when he got to Money Game he acted like he didn’t care at all.  He just stood there and let the contestant choose numbers.  He brought no excitement to the game and actually made it boring!

I found the wrong prices in Gas Money so obviously created to make the game a decision just between two prices.  If they keep it up this way, the game will lose lots of its fun.  It will be so obvious that no risk will be involved until the last two prices are left.

The new rules for Make Your Mark are a REAL mistake.  It’s no longer that terrible if you don’t move the marker and it’s wrong.  Sure, you don’t win the prizes, but gee whiz, $500 is rather neat!

The first showcase was funny, however, it is committing a Price Is Right crime.  ALL the attention in this showcase was about Rich and Drew.  The real center of the attention should be the prizes and the contestant who is about to bid on the showcase.  Themes and sketches should NOT overwhelm the showcase.

The second showcase was just awful and one of the worst this year.  The models looked silly, and the narrative didn’t make sense (as far as a pirate showcase should!).  They did a pirate showcase last year which was much more clever and funny than this one.  Even Rich’s pirate voice was awful!

Offline Superfan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »
Drew looks like a fool coming through the doors at the begining of the show.

SWITCH GAME:  Drew tried to be funny with Stacy linking her to the Fountain's of Wayne song "Stacy's Mom."  The joke fell so flat because it was too obscure for this show.  This is a game show not a comedy hour!  What if Stacy's mother had been dead?  

GAS MONEY GAME:  I picked $19,170

SQUEEZE PLAY GAME:  The whole reason the girl was confused I think was because Dreew doesn't explain the game the right way.  You're supposed to say "remove one of these 4 numbers, the rest of the numbers will SQUEEZE together to form the price of the piano"  DUHHHHHH.

BARKER'S MARKERS GAME:  I always get a chuckle when the contestant wins a perfect bid on the items up for bids and this game is played because we know that they have to give back the $500 to play the game!!!

What the hell happened to this game?  They said that he keeps the $500 for losing?  That's stupid!!!!!!!  

Did anyone else's TV show Drew saying "dont go away" twice?  Something happened with the editing I think!

MONEY GAME GAME:  Sorry Donna!

NOW OR THEN GAME:  I always liked this game.  I read that they are going to use a "Green screen" for trips now.  I liked the reaction of Catherine when she saw the trip to Holland.  I think that we won't see those nice reactions anymore. :(  I was so glad to see she won!

SHOWCASE:  Ok, I did like the first showcase.  It was properly explained to sounded good.  Rich did a good job too.  I remember years ago they did one with Rod Roddy.  (I guess they are back to repeating old themes)

The second one was funny but I don't know what the hell a capachinno machine and a snowmobile has to do with a pirate.  It seems like they are just trying to put a theme to anything now.  AND STOP TELLING US THE PRIZES TWICE!!!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »
Drew really, really needs to go back and watch his contrast in performance between Gas Money and Money Game today. He did an exceptional job with Gas today and his buildup at the end was good, about as good as i've seen from him. That's the good. The bad? He fell back once again into the depressing mumbling jumbo in Money Game. Everytime Donna made a choice that was incorrect he said no depressingly and where you couldn't hardly hear him! C'mon, Drew, how can you do so well at one point and then come back and do so horribly? I'm just perplexed. At times in today's show Drew's hosting seemed almost "Barkeresque" so he can do the job, its these bad habits he keeps falling back into that is very disappointing.

Ooh, 5 digit Squeeze Play for a baby grand. I'm impressed. Pretty fun segment here with Drew and Anna. I certainly enjoyed Drew's banter with Anna and his playing with her good luck "dog." That was great. As for the piano, I thought she had it, $13,495 looked a bit better to me than $13,195.

Well, the rule change to MYM is just dumb. Why reward someone for losing? Speaking of MYM this was pretty much a forced win after $3995 lit up for the TV. You knew that pool table wasn't gonna be only $1500+. No excuse for this being lost today.

Speaking of the TV I was shocked that TV was $3995. I've never been as surprised at the price of a prize as I was that TV today. Where'd that come from?

Overall a pretty good show from what I saw (didn't catch the 2nd SCSD or the showcases).

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
I'm not sure what to say about the maingame except...it was average with just a couple of short steps away from being a great day. Every loss felt really close to a win (though Gas should have been obvious, and I fear Mark's winning percentage as PriceForever points out).

Meanwhile...SCs were better, but repetition at end and random prizes still clearly show needed improvement. Also, Rich wasn't even recognizable in SC2.

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »
Quote from: Superfan
(I guess they are back to repeating old themes)

When you consider that they've done over 12,000 showcases, it's understandable that some might repeat. 

To be honest, I thought the tongue-twister showcase was absolutely hilarious, and the $100 bet was pretty funny, too!

The pirate showcase?  I think the humor was that the prizes had absolutely nothing to do with pirates!  The thought of pirates singing karaoke, drinking cappuccino, and riding snowmobiles is what made that showcase funny!

I've got no complaints there...

Quote from: PriceForever
However, when he got to Money Game he acted like he didn’t care at all.  He just stood there and let the contestant choose numbers.  He brought no excitement to the game and actually made it boring!

Did you see the Donna play the game?  She didn't exactly bring much excitement to the game, either.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline DYC

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
By show of hands:
Who else thinks that Now or Then is just BEGGING for a new sign? The main prop actually looks good for a change now on the new turntable. But that sign is just awful now, plus it has to hang too high, theres too much space between the sign and the game, and that camera shot is just terrible. To me, at least....

Cool. All the "MONEY" named Car Games got played the same day.

I found the wrong prices in Gas Money so obviously created to make the game a decision just between two prices.  If they keep it up this way, the game will lose lots of its fun.  It will be so obvious that no risk will be involved until the last two prices are left.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it'll be like every contestant that plays Gas Money will get an automatic $6000 just for being there, just like in MYM.

Well, the rule change to MYM is just dumb.

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
The rule change in Make Your Move is all wrong.  A good example of new producers (or Drew) not really understanding dymamics of a game!  They should to go back to the old rules or get rid of the game.  It's no longer working.

The second showcase was one of the worst (I don't know why...I just felt silly and stupid for sitting there and watching it!)

Once again, I have to repeat, Drew has got to stay up for the entire show, not just for certain games (he showed no enthusiasm for Money Game)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Well, let me ask something to those who thought that the correct answer in Gas Money boiled down to two "obvious" choices.

Was it really intended — by whoever decided what the guesses would be — to be an either-or proposition (to give he contestant a free $6,000 wad and hope they'd quit) ... or was this game set to be a win and things didn't quite work out for the contestant? I'd be inclined to think the latter.

Brian

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
One of the things I loved about The Price Is Right for many years was that in an increasingly corrupting world, it was free of all sorts of impurities.  With Drew's joke about Stacie's mom, it was lost.

Drew did an absolutely wonderful job hosting Gas Money.  He explained the rules clearly and not ambiguously.  He really seemed to be channeling Bob throughout the game.  Not saying that coming off sounding exactly like Bob is the best thing, but it's certainly a lot better than trying to draw quiver and arrow analogies with Bullseye; however, with how great he was in Gas Money, I don't understand how he was so great one minute; and then in Squeeze Play, he was back to being annoying again.

I still don't get why they made the change with the $500 in Make Your Mark.  Austin didn't deserve after losing the game, so why did they feel a need to start compensating losers in this game?

After how much Drew poked fun at the trip skin in Now.... or Then, I wonder if remarks like that had something to do with the whole green screen mess.

Speaking of Now.... or Then, it's going to be really weird to see post-1999 year show up whenever it does.

What the heck was that commercial bumper before the Showcases?  Please tell me that's not a permanent change.

The first Showcase, while not done properly, wasn't so bad to drive me to anger.  If you'd just cut out the Drew elements (him making a bet with Rich and then having dialogue) and just made it a good old "Dreaded Announcer's Test" Showcase, it would have been perfect.

The second Showcase, again, had potential, but wasn't as good as it could be since it lacked proper form; and Rich using a pirate voice for the prize plugs was majorly overdoing it.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Well, let me ask something to those who thought that the correct answer in Gas Money boiled down to two "obvious" choices.

Was it really intended — by whoever decided what the guesses would be — to be an either-or proposition (to give he contestant a free $6,000 wad and hope they'd quit) ... or was this game set to be a win and things didn't quite work out for the contestant? I'd be inclined to think the latter.

I think the general theory behind Gas Money is that the game is designed to allow the contestant to gather up some cash with some "freebie" simple picks.  The fakes are designed to allow for this.  Thus, the temptation aspect of the game becomes much more impressive (Do you really want to give up that $8,000 for a chance at the truck?)

The correct choices were obvious between two just by the 5 Price Tags fakes theories.

What the heck was that commercial bumper before the Showcases?  Please tell me that's not a permanent change.

This is what was discussed about music intros being used into the Showcases.  It is the thought of the current producers that it helps emphasize a "party-like" atmosphere.  This will continue.
John

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 05:19:55 PM »
This is what was discussed about music intros being used into the Showcases.

Where was that discussion?  I missed it.

It is the thought of the current producers that it helps emphasize a "party-like" atmosphere.  This will continue.

The show should not have a "party-like" atmosphere.  Sure, it should be a cheery, happy place, but not a party, because that conjures up images of disorganization and lack of control, which isn't what they should want with a game show yet it's becoming increasingly more evident on the show; and just before the Showcases?  How much more of a random place can you think of to just suddenly slap a bumper?  And why would they even do this when the show already has too little time for its set content as it is?

Sigh... why is my favourite television program slowly dying from the inside out?  It's very sad to watch.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
One of the things I loved about The Price Is Right for many years was that in an increasingly corrupting world, it was free of all sorts of impurities. 

I appreciate your idealism, but you're kidding, right?  At the risk of starting a fire here, did you know nothing of the stuff going on during the Barker tenure?  Welcome to 2008.  Heck, even kiddy cartoons now seem to be filled with innuendo.

The show should not have a "party-like" atmosphere.  

Yeah, we wouldn't want the people at home to think that the show was fun.

There's lots of changes to complain about these days, but these ain't them.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
I appreciate your idealism, but you're kidding, right?  At the risk of starting a fire here, did you know nothing of the stuff going on during the Barker tenure?

I did, but it was far and infrequent.  Largely, the show was presented in a very upstanding manner.  Now nobody can even bid $420 anymore without it being thought of as "funny," even by the host himself.

Welcome to 2008.  Heck, even kiddy cartoons now seem to be filled with innuendo.

You say that, and it seems you're implying that is a good thing.  Far from it.  Does that make it acceptable?

Yeah, we wouldn't want the people at home to think that the show was fun.

I wish people would stop harping on me that I'm all against there being "fun" in the show.  I understand that is not what you've done with your statement, but I'm not construing any of what people keep saying is "fun" and "great" with the show these days to actually be that.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »
After how much Drew poked fun at the trip skin in Now.... or Then, I wonder if remarks like that had something to do with the whole green screen mess.
Maybe... but it could also be (and the same for the "tedious" Three Strikes remark too) that he said it knowing the change was already coming.