Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2008  (Read 19918 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2008
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
ONE YEAR ON... : Time flies when you're having fun. Right, Drew?

The Price is Right - Oct. 15, 2008
Production #4483K - Taped Aug. 12, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right  
Handoff: Shane

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Shane Stirling
Wearing: Stop Staring

1   Aqua Frinn Tropica Day Sailer (R)
SUMMER 2000 LARRY *3100 DONNA 5000 BEVERLY 1500 ($3195)

Larry from the nearby dry lake plays SWITCH?

Diamondback 960SR Recumbent Bike (L)$2400$1399
Golden West Billiard Table (S)$1399SWITCH!$2400WIN!

2   Ridgeway Victoria 2 Floor Clock (S)
+Summer 1 ROSARIO *2200 +Donna 2900 +Beverly 2500 ($2275)

Rosario plays 3 STRIKES for a Dodge Charger (Std., AT, Prot, Stability)(L)

GAME CHANGE: First number given, back to only one strike in the bag.

Numbers: 4 5 6 8

1.(4)2nd*$24–––
2.(8)3rd*$248––
3.(X)STRIKE ONE!
4.(5)5th*$248–5
5.(6)WIN!$24865

...and on the next playing there will be three strikes and three numbers in the bag. (JOKE!)

3   (Bose) Media Center (L)
+Summer *1200 DAVID 2400 +Donna 1000 +Beverly 800 ($1499)

Summer plays CLIFF HANGERS (First playing this season) for an Ashley Carlyle Queen Size Bed and a Bemco Posture Fairfax Sleep Set (R)($3699)

Disco Alarm Clock$20$255 to 5
Vegetable Peeler/Masher35323 to 8
(Fiesta Station) Buffet Station45505 to 13   WIN!

Good grief! Three for three! Is the jinx about to end?

SHOWDOWN #1
$5,305Summer60 + 50OV
6,990Larry30 + 50.80Through to Showcase Round
27,140Rosario30 + 45.75

4   Family Camping Package (S)
JESSICA *450 David 250 +Donna 400 +Beverly 800 ($785)
STUPID BID

Jessica plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a trip to Jamaica (6n @ Beaches)(L&R)

Setup:6 3 7 5 8
Pick:$ 6 3 5 8
Price:$ 6 3 5 8   WIN!

There we go. We've finally (on-air, at least) broken through. Now, can we conquer?

5   Corona Yard Equipment (R)
ARTHUR *600 David 325 +Donna 300 +Beverly 1 ($747)
STUPID BIDSTUPID BIDSTUPID BID

Arthur heads up the Southpaw Steps plays GROCERY GAME for a Yamaha Upright Piano (L)($5395)

(2) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing1 x 9.12$9.12–11.88
(1) (Little Debbie) Oatmeal Cream Pies3 x 1.39$4.1713.29–  7.21
(4) (Kernel Season's) Seasoning1 x 2.992.9916.28–  4.72
(5) (Halls Naturals) Throat Lozenges (bag)2 x 2.154.3020.58WIN!
(3) Ester C Supplement

Wow. After days of sheer futility, we stand to go undefeated for the first time this season. Mimi also stands to drag someone over to the "First Four" Breakfast Club, but who will it be? Donna or Beverly? One of them must go, both could. Beverly can avoid it all by using her last bid advantage wisely. How will things sort out?

6   Hamilton Beach Ecclectrics Small Appliances (L)
SCOTT 650 David 700 +Donna *800 +Beverly 400 ($829)

Beverly heads off to the clubhouse while Donna escapes! She plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a Ford Mustang (Std., AT)(S)($21,525) ... and for total victory on the day...

$15,981 $16,464 $17,810 $18,421 $19,552 $20,902 $22,891
PERFECTO!!!

SHOWDOWN #2
$6,142Arthur90 stay.90Through to Showcase Round
7,143Jessica35 + 30.65
22,354Donna20 + 10.30

SHOWCASE ROUND
Larry has the honor.

SC1-Larry O.W. Lee Classico Sofa Glider (S)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (R)
Ford Flex SE (Std., V6, AT)(L)
BID$45,000
PRICE36,937
DIFFOVER
SC2-Arthur Broyhill Carson Manor Dining Group
Noritake Fitzgerald China Dinnerware
DK Cookbooks (S)
Trip to Shanghai (6n)(L)
BID$       1
PRICE17,336
DIFF–17,335
TOTAL$23,478

Today's Pricing Games: 6 FOR 6!!!! (exactly how Drew's first show *aired* went)
Total Winnings: $93,415

Happy Anniversary.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:03:44 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2008
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
Bing out the sirens & Bells for this season's first perfect show (excluding the showcases)!!!!!! (Sirens, bells, alarms sound & confetti falls from the celing) YAY

Not much to say about this episode, except great contestants, And just think, exactly 1 year ago today was Drew's first episode of TPiR and it was a perfect show as well! Great job everyone!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »
CBS lined last year up so the 1st & 3rd shows would be perfect, so I am very happy to have a natural one occur today!!! The second half could have been 0/3 easy - crapshoot Squeezy, a long workaround for Grocery and finally That's Too HARD...conquered by the Peanut Gallery!!!

A
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »
1 year ago, Drew walked the doors for the first time.  His first show, a perfecto.  One year later, a perfecto.

Happy Annivesary, Drew.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »
Drew was in a real good mood today---but, of course, he always is when they win.  Now if he could only stay in a good mood when they lose...

It's sad to see three strikes being played  the way it is.  It used to be so exciting trying to see them to place the  five numbers for a really expensive car---the drama could not be beat!

The first showcase was typical Drew humor...if you like Drew, you liked it...if you don't like Drew, it was really really stupid.

As the season progresses, I am seeing the main problem with Price which I sadly feel will , among other things, might be its eventual downfall.  The show has always been about the contestant.  We learned a lot about the contestant with the host bringing it all out.  Then we saw this contestant, who we knew about, play the game.  We were drawn into the drama more than if we didn't know about this person.  Of course, Bob was the best, but Doug Davidson, Tom Kennedy, and Dennis James to lesser degrees, were also able to do this.

Now it is NOT about the contestant...it's about Drew.  All through today's show, Drew was unable to bring out anything about the contestant other than where they live and who they want to say hello to.  In the last half of the show, Arthur and Donna seemed like they would be really great contestants with perhaps a story.  All Drew could do with Arthur was to make jokes about wearing that shirt and USC.  With Donna, all he could muster up was a joke and some jumping around with her. 

For those who think I am too critical...I have been a fan of this show for over two decades and I have a right to be critical..it's my show as much as anyone else who watches it.  I guess I still cling to the hope that Drew will get better and the hope that he will get tired of writing the showcases.

Mainly, I hope that the producers wrestle control away from Drew and have the guts to tell him what's needed to make this show better.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Excellent gameplaying today all around if I do say so myself. Even better lineup if I do say so myself.

3 Strikes today was just wonderful to watch--despite (or in spite of) all the tinkering they've done to the game. Even sadder since this is probably the last time we'll get to see it.  :-(

Hey, the "Yodeley guy" game returns.  8-)

Anyone catch what Drew said to Arthur prior to playing Grocery Game? I thought I heard "hate" and "piano" in the same sentence.

Anyone here besides myself believe we was gonna see Balance Game last for a car today? Great playing of TTM. Donna showed the patience necessary to win in this game.

I do believe that is the first appearance of the Ford Flex on the show. Those things look weird.

If anything today's show upped the overall winning percentage for the year.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
When was the last time we had a completely "traditional" lineup?  Regular car game in each half, regular GP in one half, regular SP in the other half, and a fourth game quickie?  That was really cool to see.

For the second day in a row, the first showcase would have worked a lot better as the second showcase, due to the contestant interaction-ish nature of it.  They really need to do better planning these sorts of things.

Quote from: PriceForever
Now it is NOT about the contestant...it's about Drew.  All through today's show, Drew was unable to bring out anything about the contestant other than where they live and who they want to say hello to.

I noticed this too, today.  Summer, Arthur, and Donna all seemed to have a lot of untapped potential.  That none of them really stood out all that much is a shame:  one of them, at least, really should have.

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »
My only complaint about Drew today was when he was reading some of the IUFBs' prices with great suspense when it's known who wins based on the first number out of his mouth.  Example: Number 5: Bids are 600, 325, 300, and 1; actual retail price: Seven.... forty-seven!  If he uses that when all suspense isn't killed with the first number, it'd be better.
So long!

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
Today was the first time I've ever had a chance to see the show in HD.

I've really got to break down and buy myself an HD TV set. That was, in a word, awesome.

Offline tcbrent88

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »
Is this REALLY the last time 3 Strikes will be played? I just find it hard to believe that they would retire this game. Drew even commented on how great of a game it is today.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
We don't know.  Could be the last time, but we really don't know for sure either way.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
?Switch?:  Easy.

Steroids-Free 3X:  Wha?!  Only one strike in the bag again?!  When you do that on top of giving the first number for free... well, that just makes the game easier than it had been for the last 11 years.  Quicker... but easier.

Hans Game:  Yay!  Cliffy! :P

One-Bid #5:  What a bunch of rotten bids from David and the ladies.

That's Too Hard!:  Ford Mustang + TTM! = auto-loss--WHAT?!  She won?!  We have a perfect show?!  It's a Festivus miracle!  (And a trip to the Sin Bin® for me.)

Showcases:  I believe this is the first Rob Mackey Stag Showcase of the season.

SC #1:  A Ford Flex?!  Great... another car price I'll have to memorize now.  But even I know that Flexes aren't that expensive.  Stage :wotc:

My showcase bids:
Spa/car--$31,007
Room/trip--$14,907
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
Very good show today. 6/6 and the debut of the Flex (It's a love it or hate it car ala Scion xB [original])

Did anyone else notice the 94-95 Dawson Feud music playing for the Flex as well?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
Drew's been good to stop with the "Ezekiel Barker" junk in Barker's Bargain Bar.  Now, if only he could be so nice to stop "the most dangerous part about being a model on The Price Is Right" collision bit with Switch?.

3 Strikes is not exciting as a regular car game, but I really hope we get to see it again.

Why do all the prize reaction shots include Drew?  Should not the focus be solely upon the contestant and not the host when you want a reaction to a prize?

Drew's joke with the trip in Squeeze Play was, I felt, out of place.

I cannot believe Arthur said, "I hate USC," and they left it in.  I don't care if it was a joke.  It was a very tasteless joke and certainly not funny to anyone from USC.

Donna may not have been forced by the host to be so enthusiastic, but her shout of, "that's too much" made it seem like Bob was right there at that moment.

So, what is the deal with this home viewer contest?  Are they that desperate for ratings now?  So desperate that they have to plug the contest during the second Showcase Showdown?  If they want to try a contest, why not have viewers mail in postcards or something, then draw one alongside a pricing game for a chance for the home player to win the same prizes as an on stage contestant.  Didn't the show used to do something like that?

I want to see a Showcase with no theme that has a standard introduction and ends with, "this Showcase can be yours if the price is right."  I'm really missing them.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:44:12 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »
Is this REALLY the last time 3 Strikes will be played? I just find it hard to believe that they would retire this game. Drew even commented on how great of a game it is today.
Let's assume that 3 Strikes is getting retired this season (and I'm not saying it is or that I have insider information).  What made you think this was the last time it was played?  Isn't it possible that it was played once more or twice more, etc?