Author Topic: Do you still want to be called to Come On Down?  (Read 3228 times)

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
Do you still want to be called to Come On Down?
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
With all the negative things (In most peoples eyes) that have been going on at the Bob Barker Studios, I was curious of how many people who haven't been called down, still truely want to? Obviously we all would love to win fabulous prizes, but does that desire still burn to be on the show? I still love Price is Right, I'm the type that will stay on the ship till it sinks... I think parts of the show have gone way south, while others, I don't mind so much..

To answer my own question, I really have no desire to go to California (I'm from Connecticut) to be a contestant on the Price is Right. Would I like to see a taping and see how things work? Most deffinetly. I'm not neccesarly saying that dream died when Bob retired, but it sure faded. You can buy tickets to go to the Price is Right (I work at one place that does actually), but you can't be a contestant. I'm sure if I went that route, once I was there, a part of me would wish I would get called down, but looking at it from a perspective where I've never been to a game show taping, my desire is actually more to see how the show is run then to be called down at this point. My view could change, but that's how it has been for the last year or so.

I would throw a poll up, but I'm not sure how.. so I guess just answer yes or no and why either way - Do You still have the desire to be a contestant on the Price is Right?

EDIT : Sigh.... I'm an idiot, there's a button that says Post a new Poll... I've been coming to this site for 3 or 4 years now.. the shame....

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
Re: Do you still want to be called to Come On Down?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
...and then there are those of us who were scared to death we would be called as contestants. On my trip back in 2001, I was a bundle of nerves (first time flying, first time to CBS, first time seeing the show in person...The last thing I wanted was to be called. I was perfectly happy watching from my seat in the audience. That was a dream come true right there. It's all I wanted. I couldn't even remember the price of The Big Green Egg when it showed up in Safe Crackers, and I'm sure I would've passed out had I been called. I know I'm probably in the minority in not wanting to be called, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not totally alone.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »
Despite all this crap that's going on as of late, do I still want to visit TPIR?  Yes I do!  Do I still want to be called to "come on down" to The Row?  Heck yeah--it's been a dream that I've had since I was a little kid growing up.  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I sure want to be called on down. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. As long as I play a cool game (Sorry Double Prices, not you) I'll feel happy. Don't care for the prize as much. I have fears though it won't happen as ratings are going down and the show doesn't seem to be holding up as well as in the past. (15 btw)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »
...and then there are those of us who were scared to death we would be called as contestants. On my trip back in 2001, I was a bundle of nerves (first time flying, first time to CBS, first time seeing the show in person...The last thing I wanted was to be called. I was perfectly happy watching from my seat in the audience.

I'm sure you know now, but at the time were you aware that you could have told them you didn't want to be considered as a contestant?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
I definitely want to be a contestant still if I'm ever able to attend a taping.  It has always been one of my top dreams and being a contestant on my all time favorite show is an experience second to none.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:19:11 PM »
I'm sure you know now, but at the time were you aware that you could have told them you didn't want to be considered as a contestant?

Yes, Phil made it clear that we could write an X over our numbers if we didn't wish to be considered. It wasn't really anything I verbalized. It was more nerves and stage fright than anything else. I just don't deal well in front of crowds...or millions watching.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
The dream is still alive, regardless of the host or the current state of the show.  I have dreamed about it for about 2 decades now.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
As long as I have the chance to get up on that stage, and show everyone I've ever met that all those years of watching that silly Plinko show didn't go to waste, I will still want to be called to Come on Down.  :)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »
You know, even as much as I didn't like the show last year, if I had the opportunity, I probably would have still gone then because Roger was still there and the show still decent.  Now, with the show in its terrible state and terrible production quality, I have no desire to go, even if it it may be the only way to appear on a network daytime game show.

Roger himself said being a contestant on the show was about the experience and not just about the prizes.  How true I understand that now.  It's no longer a good experience, so why bother spending thousands to go out there?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »
I always wanted to go to The Price Is Right just to meet Bob Barker, and of course being called to come on down would have allowed me to do just that. When he retired, my dream of going to see the show in person died.

Offline anynumber76

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:16:30 AM »
As a fan of this show for so long, I still think I would want to go and possibly be called to be a contestant.  I would love to just be standing on the same stage that Bob stood on for so long, hosting the greatest game show in the world.  Also, just being in the studio where TPIR and my other favorite game show, Match Game, taped for 9 years would be an honor.

Also, if I was actually called, I would be subdued in my behavior (i.e., not being obnoxious or responding to Drew's sometimes bad/lame attempts at humor).  I would play the game that I was given as straight and as calmly as possible and respect the game show that I have loved for so long.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
Being one who hates being on camera, I'd have that "X" over my number in a heartbeat.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
Also, if I was actually called, I would be subdued in my behavior (i.e., not being obnoxious or responding to Drew's sometimes bad/lame attempts at humor). 
Wrong answer, IMHO.  Now more than ever, any of us who somehow become contestants would need to be more energetic and forceful on that stage to try to prove to Drew that yes, we are in fact more important than he is on that stage.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline anynumber76

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
I have to agree and disagree with your point at the same time, Armadillo.

Agreed:  The show should be about us (the contestants).  "We" should be the focus and not the host.

Disagreed:  I don't know if I would want to lower myself to his level on some of his humor attempts since some of them sort of disrespect the games/prizes/concepts that we have all grown to know and love.