Author Topic: What if Todd Newton was the host?  (Read 7072 times)

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
Re: What if Todd Newton was the host?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »
I'll take it one step further:  Bob is a perfect combination of Jack Benny and Cary Grant, humor and galantry.  I was back stage a few weeks after Bob announced his retirement.  I wanted to find a way to say it to him, but the moment got away from me.  Oh well.

Bob even where's those black thick-rimmed glasses that Grant wore in his latter years.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:33:43 PM by johnnymatch »
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
My only gripe is that if he was picked, some of us would be saying he would lack originality and would be too much like Bob.  If Todd started doing false reveals in games like Grand Game, Triple Play, and Temptation, I'm sure a lot of us would be annoyed to no end, since that's Bob's trademark and he should have come up with something of his own.  If he started to be robotic in parts of the show like Bob was in his final years hosting, I and probably a couple of other people would just be disappointed.  I heard Todd is an animal lover, nothing wrong with that, but if they continued the Pet Adoption segments, that would seriously slow down the show with all the time cuts that happened last year.

Wouldn't there be some elements to any new host's style that would make him (or her) subject to accusations of trying to be too much like Bob?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 02:22:32 AM »
Wouldn't there be some elements to any new host's style that would make him (or her) subject to accusations of trying to be too much like Bob?

I don't think you could make that accusation against Drew. He and Rosie are as un-Barker as you can get.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »
I don't think you could make that accusation against Drew. He and Rosie are as un-Barker as you can get.

Based on some recent episodes of TPiR, I would say Rosie would have been a good host selection. She was (and maybe still is) a LFaT to the show, and she knew all the games. At least we'd have that much from her. Drew forgets the rules half the time and then just mumble-blurts them out. I was one of the total anti-Rosie people before (as far as takin over as TPiR host), but now does she really seem THAT bad? And put aside her desire to move the show to NYC.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
Todd newton annoys me 20X more than any other game show host. He has this wacky weatherman low budget feel to him that makes me want to turn off the tv everytime i see him
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
[Rosie] knew all the games. At least we'd have that much from her.
Didn't she refer to Hole in 1 (or 2) as The Golf Game?  Doesn't that mean she didn't know the name of the game?

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
She's not the only one to refer to "Hole in One...or Two" as "The Golf Game". Drew calls "It's In the Bag" 'In the Bag'.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »
I hated Rosie too and was not a fan of Todd Newton.  But the way that Drew disrespects the show makes me long for either one of them now..

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
She's not the only one to refer to "Hole in One...or Two" as "The Golf Game". Drew calls "It's In the Bag" 'In the Bag'.
At least "In the Bag" is actually the freggin' name, with the exception of the word "IT". "The Golf Game" is not even close!

I honestly believe Drew leaves out the "It" to annoy the fans on this message baord.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
I don't think Rosie making a remark calling something by a name that, in all honest, more viewers might associate with the actual game is hardly an indication of her being a fan of the show or not. She's not the host, so it's a minor point (and for the record, I'm glad she's not the host).

As for It's In The Bag...I can't understand why it upsets people so much.  It's a really minor point, and I don't read that as any sort of disrespect. 

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
As for It's In The Bag...I can't understand why it upsets people so much.  It's a really minor point, and I don't read that as any sort of disrespect. 

Well, if the host is so lazy that he can't even announce the full title of the game, that's displaying a lot of incompetence.  Really, has he got any good reason for dropping the it's?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
Well, if the host is so lazy that he can't even announce the full title of the game, that's displaying a lot of incompetence.  Really, has he got any good reason for dropping the it's?

Wow... now you're just nitpicking.

Lazy?  Incompetent?  Maybe if he thought the object was to order them from highest to lowest, or maybe if he had no clue that from step to step is doubling, or maybe if he didn't realize the button is how to drop the paper bag-thingy.  But, Drew has a clear understanding of the game, and hosts it just fine.  So, he leaves off a word.  With over 70 games to learn, it is possible he always learned the game as "In the Bag," not seeing that the word "It's" is in the title as well the first time, and so from the time he learned the game, he always referred to it by the name he originally learned. 

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 06:22:27 AM »
I was in the Todd Newton camp during the host search last summer.  I think if he were hosting now, we'd have a more consistent hosting style than Drew and the show would be a bit more stable; however, I think we wouldn't have some of the spontaneity (the good kind) that is present with Drew, simply because Todd is a more traditional style host.

So, he leaves off a word.  With over 70 games to learn, it is possible he always learned the game as "In the Bag," not seeing that the word "It's" is in the title as well the first time, and so from the time he learned the game, he always referred to it by the name he originally learned. 

Drew seems to make a point of mentioning the name of the game during his rules explanation for almost every game played.  He even does this on games like Most Expensive, One Wrong Price, and 5 Price Tags where the name is not seen on any props.  I'll can somewhat understand the reasoning given above--but, still, don't you think it's odd that It's In the Bag is the only game name Drew gets wrong consistently? (To the best of my recollection, he's said the game's name correctly once.)  If he's saying the game names more than Bob did, you'd think he'd have them all down by now.  Just a thought.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »
Wow... now you're just nitpicking.

Lazy?  Incompetent?  Maybe if he thought the object was to order them from highest to lowest, or maybe if he had no clue that from step to step is doubling, or maybe if he didn't realize the button is how to drop the paper bag-thingy.  But, Drew has a clear understanding of the game, and hosts it just fine.  So, he leaves off a word.  With over 70 games to learn, it is possible he always learned the game as "In the Bag," not seeing that the word "It's" is in the title as well the first time, and so from the time he learned the game, he always referred to it by the name he originally learned. 

It's on a big, honking sign present with the game every playing.  How could he be so blind?  Unless its those stupid glasses...

Don't be making excuses for Drew.  It doesn't matter what he may have thought the concept of the game was, or is, or how many games he has to know the rules of.  He should be able to get the dang title correct.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 09:15:35 AM »
How could he be so blind?  Unless its those stupid glasses...

Okay, I know you don't like Drew, but I think that's just crossing the line.  Drew has a case of presbyopia after he had LASIK surgery years ago, and needs glasses, albeit a different pair, for reading.  He does wear bifocal contacts currently, but keeps the large glasses as his trademark; that is the kind of pair he received when he joined the US Marines 20 years ago, but I digress...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:18:01 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."