Author Topic: What if Todd Newton was the host?  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What if Todd Newton was the host?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
Okay, I know you don't like Drew, but I think that's just crossing the line.  Drew has a case of presbyopia after he had LASIK surgery years ago, and needs glasses, albeit a different pair, for reading.  He does wear bifocal contacts currently, but keeps the large glasses as his trademark; that is the kind of pair he received when he joined the US Marines 20 years ago, but I digress...

Again, this is a case of misunderstanding.  The point I was making saying, "How could he be so blind?" was not a slight against his eyesight, but against the fact that he ignores the first word of the title despite it being printed in front of him.

However, I do think the frames of the glasses he wears are absolutely ridiculous.  I'm all for large glasses, but Drew's... they just make him look like a dork.  He'd really look a lot better with more commonplace frames.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »
There are various reasons people sometimes drop certain ‘leading’ pronouns or articles.  I wouldn’t presume to know if that’s the case here or not, but I don’t think the missing “it’s” is either (a) done to annoy a few message board posters (it’s hard to imagine Drew would feel the need to tick off a handful of people nor that he would pick something trivial in the grand scheme of things), or (b) “laziness.”   The mind can play interesting linguistic tricks on people.

For example, and I’m not saying this is the case, but just the kind of an cases I studied in communications classes, if a person was exposed to a variant of a common expression (like “It’s in the bag”) in their youth that was slightly different (say one’s family used the different phrasing or it was a local colloquialism), then as an adult there’s a strong tendency to use the phrase as you knew it.   As a youngster, I apparently misread or mispronounced the word “epitome” as if it rhymed with “dome” instead of the long 'e' sound.  To this day,  many decades later, no matter how many times I see the word, my brain processes it the wrong way.  I don’t know what I would do if I was on TV—I’d need some kind of serious help not to revert to saying it the wrong way if I saw it on a prompter even though I’d say it correctly if I said it without a visual prompt.  The brain can do funny things that have nothing to do with laziness.  Again, I’m not saying that’s the case, just trying to point out that things are sometimes are not conscious choices.  And when we’re talking about a relatively minor thing like “it’s” before “in the bag,” it may not be a big issue.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
imhomerjay, that is a good explanation and certainly one I can understand being potentially valid; however, It's in the Bag is a proper name, and no matter what Drew may be used to saying, he should announce the title correctly.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
However, I do think the frames of the glasses he wears are absolutely ridiculous.  I'm all for large glasses, but Drew's... they just make him look like a dork.  He'd really look a lot better with more commonplace frames.

The thing about this though is the glasses are a part of who he is, from an audience standpoint. People associate those glasses with Drew, he technically doesn't even need them I don't think, he just wears them as part of his look.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »

First off, as pricefan18 mentioned, the glasses are about one thing - branding.
Secondly, he looks a hell of a lot worse with a pair of normal frames. If you do some Googling, I am sure you can find the pictures... doesn't even look like the same guy.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline BarkerDollars

• Outside in Line
  • The "WGMC" in America - Happy 90th Birthday, Bob!!
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
If Todd Newton became the host for Season 36 back in 2007, instead of Drew Carey, the set and audience curtains would still have the Season 35 (Bob's final season) look.  The 3 big rainbow doors that once had the "35 years" in yellow would still be the rainbow doors sporting a large traditional red/yellow TPIR logo in the center of each door.  Todd would hold a similar cordless mic that he currenty holds for the LIVE stage shows from Las Vegas that he also host, instead of that skinny cordless mic that Drew uses. 
"The Price is Right" on CBS is a popular daytime game show for 35 years with host Bob Barker, who said good-bye to the show in June 2007. The beauties, guest models & announcers are tops, too!! No more "dynamic duo" of Cleveland with Drew Carey & Rich Fields. George Gray will never be the "Weakest Link" host but a great announcer!!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
If Todd Newton became the host for Season 36 back in 2007, instead of Drew Carey, the set and audience curtains would still have the Season 35 (Bob's final season) look...

I feel like it's kind of a waste of time to write this, but you have no way of knowing whether any of this would have actually happened.

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Not to defend Drew, but Bob often referred to the show as "Price is Right" not "The Price is Right."
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
I would watch the show everyday

And Todd would of been a Way Better host then Drew Carey

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
Not to defend Drew, but Bob often referred to the show as "Price is Right" not "The Price is Right."

And Meredith Viera usually calls her show just "Millionaire" (e.g. for Phone-a-Friend), where Regis used the full name.  People still know what show she's talking about, and they knew what Bob meant if he left off the leading article.

If you're already disposed to disliking someone or a general situation, you're more likely to nitpick things that would get a pass otherwise. 

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »
If he were the host, I would bet dollars to donuts (fresh, hot-off-the-line Krispy Kreme Glazed ones) that the show would have taken on an American Idolization update because that look would have suited him better.

...And I don't think I would be watching.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
Me? I think Todd Newton would be better than hearing this...

"And now, here is the STAR of The Price is Right...TYYYYY TREADWAY!"

or this -

"And now, here is the STAR of The Price is Right...ROSSI MORREALLE!"

~shudders considerably~

A complete robot or the guy who emceed Suck Of The Century...how about NO. Is NO good for you?
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 05:40:43 PM »
Again, this is a case of misunderstanding.  The point I was making saying, "How could he be so blind?" was not a slight against his eyesight, but against the fact that he ignores the first word of the title despite it being printed in front of him.

Neither of these look quite as familiar and charming as the ones he's already wearing on the show, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:44:37 PM by noobslayer88 »
Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »
[Pics snipped]

Neither of these look quite as familiar and charming as the ones he's already wearing on the show, IMO.

On the contrary, I say he looks much better with "normal-looking" frames.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 05:03:08 AM »
But at least Todd is NOT a comedian.  That seems to be the problem with Drew's version of TPIR.  It is being centralized as a "comedy show, with games." suited to the needs of a comic as host, instead of someone like Todd Newton who not only has more game show experience than Drew, but hosted LIVE Price and would have a better feel of the games and show formats than Drew ever will.

The Showcases would not be "Gilligan's Island With Games" slapstick if Todd was there.

If Todd started doing false reveals in games like Grand Game, Triple Play, and Temptation, I'm sure a lot of us would be annoyed to no end, since that's Bob's trademark and he should have come up with something of his own.

I'm starting to believe that given the current status of the show, "Too much like Bob" may not be a bad thing.  The problem is that right now Drew is so far removed from Bob with his fluctuating enthusiasm and slapstick humor that he's NOTHING like Bob.  Drew is not even sincere about the "Spay and Neuter Your Pets" plug at the end of the Showcases, which was very near and dear to Bob's heart.  For Drew, it's become an obligation.  With Drew's bi-polar moods, he seems to be 30% excited and 70% bored or annoyed. The number of games won reflects Drew's attitude and personality of the show.  This is something that should NOT be happening! Price fans should not have to "hope" for a high game win percentage so that Drew can be in a good mood.  They should hope for a high game win percentage because Price is about having fun in a classy way.

Drew does not have the professionalism or class to be a game show host, or I should say THE TYPE OF HOST THAT PRICE NEEDS FOR ITS LONG SUCCESS.  In other words, the humor and antics of Power of 10 or Who's Line is it Anyway are not the best ingredients for TPIR.

Joe