Author Topic: No wonder the ratings are down...  (Read 8246 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: No wonder the ratings are down...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
I'm not sure how it is in Central Time Zone Markets, but at least on the East coast, they run against each other.

It's that way in most of the Central as well.  This particular market appears to have moved The View back to lead-in to the noon news.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline jj09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
Well, the new tape dates are in, and there will be a season 38

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price_is_right/tickets/

I had the same thing happen a couple days ago, I mentioned to my neighbor how much I like TPIR. He was like "That's still on?"...and I explained Drew is hosting. He was like "Oh....????"

I guess the MDS slots haven't put Carey in the spotlight...even though they did have bang up ratings.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:40:21 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
I had the same thing happen a couple days ago, I mentioned to my neighbor how much I like TPIR. He was like "That's still on?"...and I explained Drew is hosting. He was like "Oh....????"

I guess the MDS slots haven't put Carey in the spotlight...even though they did have bang up ratings.

I guess the people think the MDS are just special versions of the show that air from time to time (which they are)  and that the daytime version is completely gone since Bob left.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »
I don't watch The View. What kind of advertisers are buying it? I can't imagine it being Medicare supplements, mobility scooters, diabeetus supplies and other products of interest to the geriatric set that advertise on TPIR.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
You would be surprised...I've seen 'ol Wilford Brimley on CNBC during the day.

I'll get a copy of the View on Monday and see what is really advertised.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
I don't watch The View. What kind of advertisers are buying it?

You don't have to have much imagination to figure out what is advertised on shows aimed specifically at women.  If you're still not sure, watch Lifetime for a few minutes.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
I did just want to point something out to you. That's fine that you guys think Drew does a lousy job and really needs to improve quickly, but you do have to remember and think too that no matter whether Drew, Dave Price, or whoever was picked, that the ratings were going to drop anyway. It seems silly though with all of the advertising and new Price merchandise available that people think the show went off of the air.

And speaking of Price I have to tell a funny story. One time my mom was at our church for some sort of lady luncheon. They wanted to do some sort of skit that mimicked many games shows from years past, one of them was The Price is Right. Anyways our family was talking with a friend and she had mentioned they incorporated it. Anyways I told her I love watching The Price is Right and she was surprised I knew what it was. This was around Season 27 or 28 and she had no clue it was still on!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »
Well, the new tape dates are in, and there will be a season 38

Maybe they've planned for one, but I really have doubts that CBS will actually order it if the ratings do not improve.

no matter whether Drew, Dave Price, or whoever was picked, that the ratings were going to drop anyway.

Perhaps a ratings drop was inevitable with Bob's retirement since there were people who refused to watch the show without Bob despite the fact that there had been four other hosts of the show at different times at that point, but there has certainly been no need for the ratings to tank as much as they have no matter who they picked to host.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
I agree with you Nick
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »
The ratings did not HAVE to drop with Bob leaving.  If CBS did a little more homework they would have found the perfect host for the price is right.  There are instances in show business where a "irreplaceable" star has been replaced.  The James Bond movies are one example.

It's not easy, but CBS should have done more in looking for a host.  To hire Drew Carey, without an audition, was suicidal!

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 01:52:23 AM »
It may still be running, but it sure as heck isn't running strong.  It's not surprising me the number of people who think the show is off the air.  Many people assumed the show would not last without Bob as host.  Well, it's lasted, but at the rate it's going, it won't last much longer unless many changes are made, which primarily involves changing things back before unnecessary changes were made.

I tell you what. This is the first time I have rea d this thread since I wrote that and I think of one response. I am a LFaT. I will watch this show until the day it is finally laid to rest. Unless I am laid to rest first. It doesnt matter what anyone says, does or thinks. I am watching this show regardless. I may respond to threads, but I am as loyal as you can get to The Price is Right.

Thats not to say that I dont agree with a lot of the opinions on here.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 04:06:04 AM »
You don't have to have much imagination to figure out what is advertised on shows aimed specifically at women.

I'm asking what kind of advertisers are actually buying it, not for someone's imaginary concept.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
Perhaps a ratings drop was inevitable with Bob's retirement since there were people who refused to watch the show without Bob despite the fact that there had been four other hosts of the show at different times at that point, but there has certainly been no need for the ratings to tank as much as they have no matter who they picked to host.

Firstly, ask people "Who are the people that have hosted The Price is Right?" They'll look at you and go..."Hosts? Are you nuts? There's only been ONE - Bob Barker!" ...And then you smack them upside the head.

Fact is that people DON'T KNOW that Dennis James hosted the show because exactly ZERO of his episodes have been reran, Tom Kennedy is only A BIT better-known since his episodes have actually been reran, and Doug Davidson only hosted for sixteen weeks!

Bill Cullen (the original host) is not well-known because most of who ends up in the audience today grew up without him. (Yes, we have had a whole generation grow up without ever seeing Bill Cullen!)

My point is that, although people are happy to be on regardless of the host, the general public DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT PEOPLE OTHER THAN OLD MAN BOB!

...And THAT'S why I despise Bob Barker, as well as responding to your comment.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
...And THAT'S why I despise Bob Barker, as well as responding to your comment.

Despise him or not, he made the show a success.  More than anyone else, Bob is the host who deserves to be remembered when people think of Price.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »
I'm asking what kind of advertisers are actually buying it, not for someone's imaginary concept.

I wasn't speaking in an imaginary sense.  I was pointing out that the answer to your question should be obvious.  But since it apparently isn't...

List of View sponsors

Took me fifteen seconds to find on Google.  Food, personal care items, department stores, pharmaceuticals, and cleaning products.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:20:22 PM by Axl »