Author Topic: No wonder the ratings are down...  (Read 8245 times)

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
No wonder the ratings are down...
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »
I had my car serviced this morning. The show comes on the TV in the waiting room at the dealership.

The woman next to me says, "Is that still on? I thought that went off when Bob Barker died."

The guy across from us says, "No, it's still on, but that new guy, Jim Carrey, isn't any good."

Rest assured, I let the lady know that Bob's still with us, just retired.

John

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: No wonder the ratings are down...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Jim Carrey as the host of TPIR? That's a good LOL from me right there!  :lol:

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Im speaking for myself in saying that I would have just sighed, shook my head and smiled because I know that it is still running strong.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Im speaking for myself in saying that I would have just sighed, shook my head and smiled because I know that it is still running strong.

The picture in your avatar sums up this situation lol.

But yeah it's surprising how some people talk about things as if they know them well.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »
But yeah it's surprising how some people talk about things as if they know them well.

Yes, that never happens around here.  ;-)

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
Touche

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »

It may still be running, but it sure as heck isn't running strong.  It's not surprising me the number of people who think the show is off the air.  Many people assumed the show would not last without Bob as host.  Well, it's lasted, but at the rate it's going, it won't last much longer unless many changes are made, which primarily involves changing things back before unnecessary changes were made.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »
It may still be running, but it sure as heck isn't running strong.  It's not surprising me the number of people who think the show is off the air.  Many people assumed the show would not last without Bob as host.  Well, it's lasted, but at the rate it's going, it won't last much longer unless many changes are made, which primarily involves changing things back before unnecessary changes were made.

Nick, do you know how many people I ran into (when doing press stuff for our University's version of the show) thought the show wasn't on then? And this was in 2005. When it comes to daytime shows, they really aren't much of a blip on the entertainment radar. Sans the View.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »
Nick, do you know how many people I ran into (when doing press stuff for our University's version of the show) thought the show wasn't on then? And this was in 2005.

I don't know.  How many?

When it comes to daytime shows, they really aren't much of a blip on the entertainment radar. Sans the View.

True, and The View has been doing quite well in ratings this season.  Yet another testament the Price is being forgotten.

Really, though, there was a significant media stir when Bob announced his retirement, and that was in 2007, so anybody who would have heard that would have been aware that, yes, the show was still on the air.  On the other hand, the announcement of Drew's succession as host of the show never peaked in the headlines as Bob's retirement announcement did, so if all people heard was that Bob retired but not that Drew became host, it would incline me to think that there are many people who think the show ended when Bob retired.

How I am beginning to wish that was the case.  I had many positive, hopeful prospect for the show after Bob retired, but apparently, I was too optimistic.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

bikiniwall.com

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
I shouldn't be mentioning the competition but the more catfighting that goes on "The View", the more buzz it generates. Maybe the models can create some drama too to get some of those viewers back.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
Maybe the models can create some drama too to get some of those viewers back.

You've got to be kidding.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
Maybe the models can create some drama too to get some of those viewers back.

Yeah, it's been a while since we've had a good model lawsuit.  :roll:

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
True, and The View has been doing quite well in ratings this season.  Yet another testament the Price is being forgotten.

You're not giving The View enough credit. The show has generated considerable controversy, the election cycle was in full swing by the time Drew's first episode aired, and it has always been popular among that coveted 18-49 female demographic (which Price has not appeared in for a very long time, if ever).
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:43:30 AM »
I find it interesting that so many people are talking about making a choice between The View and Price. In Kansas City, Price airs at 10 AM, while The View comes on at 11 AM. Rachael Ray is on our ABC affiliate while Price is on.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
I find it interesting that so many people are talking about making a choice between The View and Price. In Kansas City, Price airs at 10 AM, while The View comes on at 11 AM. Rachael Ray is on our ABC affiliate while Price is on.

I'm not sure how it is in Central Time Zone Markets, but at least on the East coast, they run against each other.

I shouldn't be mentioning the competition but the more catfighting that goes on "The View", the more buzz it generates.
Exactly. And if you look at other shows that run on TV during the day, should we really be surprised? This is what many people want. It sickens me.

I don't know.  How many?
Couple Dozen. I can't make this stuff up.