Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/04/2008  (Read 23132 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/04/2008
« on: November 04, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
BEFORE WE PROCEED (And as if you need to be reminded...): Well, here we are. After 21 months of stumping, the time for talk is over. It's finally Election Day in the USA.

Unless you voted in an advance poll, or you mailed in a ballot - absentee or otherwise, or you're too young, or you're not a U.S. citizen, or you're otherwise disqualified from doing so, before you do anything else today - including read or post to this forum - you WILL get your little fanny pendicular, hike yourself down to the polling place and cast your ballot pronto. Seriously.

And before you think this is all about Barack or John, don't forget those other races for everything from Congressman to Deg Catcher, and those local issues of importance. So let's get cracking and make it count.

(BTW: CBS has given its stations the option of taking a five-hour edition of "The Early Show" Wednesday morning, according to a post at tvnewstalk.net. Fair warning - AND NO WHINING!)

The Price is Right - Nov. 4, 2008
Production #4501K - Taped Sept. 8, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff:Rachel

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Venus

1   (Panasonic) 42" Plasma HDTV (L)
MICHAEL 986 ANNE 1201 FERMIN *1400 PARMA 1820 ($1598)

Fermin plays RANGE GAME for a trip to Costa Rica (6n @ Flamingo)(B)

Setup:$4900-$5500
Pick:$5005-$5155
Price:$5290   LOSS

2   Coleman Camping Equipmetn (B)
+Michael 1700 +Anne *876 MERLE 875 +Parma 1500 ($978)

Anne plays MOST EXPENSIVE

Napoleon Wood Stove (B)$2000
Golden West Billiard Table (L)2400
Peavey HP Electric Guitar (R)PICK1600LOSS

3   Pink Box Women's Tool Box (R)
+Michael *551 SARAH 1100 Merle 550 +Parma 1 ($735)
STUPID BID

Michael, a student at UC Irvine, plays SPELLING BEE for a Dodge Nitro SXT (Std., 3.7l, AirBag, AC, Stereo, PLocks)(B&L)($21,255)

Free Card( 8 )R––R
Free Card( 1 )RBAILOUT AT $3000
"Price is Right" Video Game (Nintendo DS)$21$30–9*(23)A
(One Touch) Can Opener1218–6*(19)A
Stainless Food Carrier1315–2*(10)R

SHOWDOWN #1
$978Anne75 stay.75
1,598Fermin85 stay.85Through to Showcase Round
3,798Michael35 + 75OV

4   Morey Surfboards/Waterboards (R)
RONALD 550 Sarah 350 Merle 500 +Parma 750 ($1096)
STUPID BID

Parma, the last of the "First Four", plays NOW...OR THEN for an Ashley Spetra Bedroom Group and a Comfortaire GS700 Sleep Set (B)($3798)

"Then" is October 1994

(6) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing$9.12NOWNOW*
(1) Glad Forceflex Trash Bags (38 13 gal)8.79NOWNOW*
(5) (Nakano) Rice Vinegar1.99THENTHENWIN!
(2) (SOS) Steel Wool Pads (18)2.29
(3) (Theragram M) Supplement9.99
(4) Hot Pockets (2 pk)2.49

5   Stainless 20 cu ft Freezer (R)
Ronald 2000 Sarah 3000 Merle 1000 MYRNA *1500 ($1599)

Myrna plays SQUEEZE PLAY for 2 Suzuki DRZ125L Offroad Motorcycles (B&L)

Setup5 1 3 9 8
Pick:$ 5 3 9 8
Price:$ 5 1 9 8   LOSS

6   Murray Feiss Stirling Castle Chandelier (from above)
Ronald 700 Sarah *1200 Merle 425 GREGORY 975 ($1800)

Sarah plays DICE GAME for a Pontiac G6 (Std., Mats, RStart, BlkHtr, Stereo)(R)

[2][4][5]
Rolls:   $2[5][1][4][5]
[1][4][5]WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,599Myrna20 + 75.95.55Through to Showcase Round
4,894Parma95 stay.95.45(Puny 1st Spin)
23,045Sarah90 + 75OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Myrna has the honor.

SC1-Fermin Bremshey Sport Control Motorized Treadmill
Tuff Stuff AXT3 Home Gym
2 Star Trac Exercise Bikes (B)
CalSpas Atlantic 63 Hot Tub (L)
BID$14,500
PRICE22,662
DIFF–8,162
SC2-Myrna Trip to Lake Tahoe (via Reno; 6n @ Northstar)(B)
Stainless Gas Range (L)
Pontiac Solstice (Std., AC)(R)
BID$30,000
PRICE31,544
DIFF–1,544
TOTAL$33,143

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6 (with 1 Bailout)
Total Winnings: $67,456

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:30:52 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/04/2008
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »
One of the small prizes today was a "(One Touch) Can Opener" (as Joe describes it). This is what I meant in my post yesterday (Nov. 3) by offering kitchen appliances as small prizes. Now, all the producer and director have to do is, if it's made by Whirlpool, Black & Decker, Kitchen Aid, Braun, Amana, whomever ... give a plug to the manufacturer.

And again, there's no crime in offering more of these small kitchen appliances — e.g., electric grills, woks and frying pans; blenders that do more than make smoothies; toasters and toaster ovens; etc. There are still lots of people out there who want to win them ... or at the very least give them as gifts or donate them to charity.

Oh, yes — how about packaging the TPiR video game with an actual Nintendo DS system ... along with a few other of our favorite game show titles? It's nice to offer the video game software as a small prize, but the packaging of it could have been better. Meaning, what if the contestant didn't have a Nintendo DS but wanted to keep the game?

A helpful suggestion to the producer and director.

Brian

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
(I voted, 8:30 AM EST.)

This show was really blah...except for the Now or Then prize.  The extremely non-room organization of the pieces resulted in seeing Now or Then come around on the Turntable.  Watch the show on CBS.com, and look at the mirror in the hutch...
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
I left work early to vote, and just sat back and watched the show on DVR.  I don't usually post in the recaps, but I have some comments.

OK, I thought the first half of the show was mostly ok, but in the second half, I have a few issues...

1.  The bedroom reveal in Now or Then is just plain lazy.  Being able to see the back of the big doors, a producer, and the turntable in the mirror is just embarassing, and speaks to the level of rehearsals that must be taking place.
2.  Is it me, or did Sarah say "More" for the second digit in Dice Game?  It doesn't help when Drew changes the normal "Higher or Lower" with "More or Less".  "Lower" and "More" are just too similar-sounding.
3.  I don't think the green trip screens work when the first image is moving.  If there is a good, sharp image to start, it is OK.  But, like with Lake Tahoe in the second showcase, a video when the doors open is just wierd and a bit nausea-inducing.
4.  Drew, I am a big fan of your improv stuff, but not in the showcases.  The second showcase was just plain dumb.  Please stop it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:20:03 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
I "hit" the polls at about 9:30 this morning.

tpirfan28 echos my sentiments exactly about this episode-other than Dice Game this episode was "BLAH".

I hope whoever's bright idea for a green screen saw that trip reveal in Range Game today. That was just beyond horrible, the images were moving and honest to goodness with everything going on Brandi's dancing was just downright annoying. They need to get rid of that green screen once and for all.

Is it too much to ask for a little organization when they offer "rooms" of furniture please? Though, at least we did see Now or Then coming around.

Dice Game was awesome to watch yet again. Sarah had some real good luck with the die today.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
I voted last month in the Canadian federal election.

What's so funny about the name Parma?

Is it just me, or did the bottom of Range Game look greener today?

Drew, way to totally exaggerate the Range Game loss coming out of the commercial break.  The loss was hardly "that close" to a win.

Drew, don't you ever try such a stupid gag as "actual retail price... after the commercial" again.  While you're at it, stop trying to make such a scene out of revealing the One Bid prices.  Just announce the price, the winner, and move along, for cryin' out loud.

Drew, you had a good streak going on of not asking every contestant if they wanted to say hi to anyone.  Please stop asking that dumb question.  Showcase Showdowns flowed much better when you didn't ask that all the time.

So, Drew pleads for winners by the second loss.  You would think he would have displayed more emotion when Parma won, but he didn't.  Not that it really bothered me.  As we witnessed yesterday, Drew has a tough time controlling himself when he's really excited.

Drew, please, do not bring "alakazam" back to Squeeze Play, and please stop it in Double Prices.

Gosh, I wish Drew would stop sending car winners over to the car.  I don't care how "good" anybody may think it looks.  It's silly and there's certainly nothing special about it when it happens as often as it is now happening.

There was some sort of loose theme in the second Showcase, but darn it, I can't even put a name to whatever the heck that was.  Drew, I beg you.  Please let Stan and Adam write the Showcases again.

And now that we've seen both yesterday's and today's shows, I'm trying to figure out just why the heck the airdates were switched.  There wasn't anything date-pertinent in either episode that would have made it out of place airing on the correct date.  The only guess I could venture is potentially a ratings-grabber with the episode that aired yesterday.  Maybe they've been having higher ratings Mondays over Tuesdays and thought Taylor's very lucky Lucky $even win would catch some extra eyes, but if they're now engineering the airdates for ratings ploys, then that's very sad that they need to try that hard to gain viewership and should certainly cause concern out of anybody who wants this show to survive.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:27:59 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »

Parma is a suburb of Cleveland.  The song "Moon Over Parma" was the theme song of "The Drew Carey Show" in one of its seasons.

I'm not saying that makes it funny.....but I'm just saying....
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
The extremely non-room organization of the pieces resulted in seeing Now or Then come around on the Turntable.  Watch the show on CBS.com, and look at the mirror in the hutch...

That was the only thing that kept me from getting frustrated about the lame setup.  Well, if Bart's stiff against showing the Turntable come around..., but I'd still like the old room arrangements back.

Parma is a suburb of Cleveland.  The song "Moon Over Parma" was the theme song of "The Drew Carey Show" in one of its seasons.

I'm not saying that makes it funny.....but I'm just saying....

Oh, of course, an Ohio relation.  I should have guessed.  Drew loves to go on and on about Ohio.  Pity the fact that he forgets there are Canadian viewers of the show who just might not be familiar with US geography.

I know you're not saying that makes it funny, and that's good because it's not funny.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:45:44 PM by Nick »
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »
Blah indeed. Didn't like the kindling setup either, and SC2 was the most random we've seen yet. Dicey's on a great streak though.

And on Parma...yeah, Drew needs to limit that to the Browns, whenever it comes up, if even at all.

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
Oh, of course, an Ohio relation.  I should have guessed.  Drew loves to go on and on about Ohio.  Pity the fact that he forgets there are Canadian viewers of the show who just might not be familiar with US geography.

I know you're not saying that makes it funny, and that's good because it's not funny.

Nick...for the love of god, please stop it.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
I voted last month in the Canadian federal election.

...and a bunch of other stuff Nick said.

Don't you think some of your complaints are overboard? I mean we all have difference of opinions but some of you complaints are really just like "wow."

What's wrong with letting contestants go to the car that they won? They sometimes do it themselves since they are excited that they won.

Also what's wrong with Drew asking the contestants if they want to say hi to anyone? Again they sometimes do it themselves.

Speaking of Squeeze Play, I remember watching a time in which Bob literally kicked a digit in Squeeze Play since it was off balance. If Drew did anything like that you would probably have a fit.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:26:55 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »

Dude... you're just...

wow...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:52:53 PM by Bgamer90 »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
Don't you think some of your complaints are overboard?

No, the show's gotten to the point where if we don't make a strong enough voice against anything that's going wrong, it will not be changed and the show will be canceled.

What's wrong with letting contestants go to the car that they won? They sometimes do it themselves since they are excited that they won.

Primarily, the problem I have with it is shoddy directing.  I don't want to see the contestant's tush.  I want to see their face, and the whole "running over to the car" celebration involves more tush shots than face shots.  Bart can't really do much about this because unless he can plan for the cameras to be in locations where they will capture the contestant's face the whole run over, you're not going to get their face; and by the time you can get a camera on their face, it's too late.  Secondly, as you referenced, contestants sometimes do it themselves when they're really excited.  I'm very much against contestants running aimlessly all over the stage no matter how excited they are because, again, Bart doesn't get shots of the face.  When a contestant runs over to the car in excitement, and it happens on the odd occasion, then I'm willing to let that pass because it is evident they are excited; but if Drew has to instruct the contestant to go over to the car, then that's creating fake excitement, the last thing the show needs.  Plus, because it happens so often now, any specialty of a contestant running over to a car is lost because it becomes bad routine.

Also what's wrong with Drew asking the contestants if they want to say hi to anyone? Again they sometimes do it themselves.

Drew should be making conversation with the contestant, interacting with them.  Asking if they have anybody they want to say hello to is a cop out.  No interaction in his part is necessary with that statement.  It kills a few seconds that he doesn't have to work to fill.  Plus, it goes back to traditional roots.  Game show contestants never used to be allowed to send shoutouts.  There was a good reason for this, but unfortunately, it has escaped me.  Whatever it was, it was definitely very justifiable.

Speaking of Squeeze Play, I remember watching a time in which Bob literally kicked a digit in Squeeze Play since it was off balance. If Drew did anything like that you would probably have a fit.

Well, it certainly wouldn't be as entertaining to see an overweight man struggle to kick a digit back into place than a man with karate expertise.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
I'm very much against contestants running aimlessly all over the stage no matter how excited they are because, again, Bart doesn't get shots of the face.
Some of the best wins in TPiR history come with reactions such as this, so I'll have to disagree with you there.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
Well, it certainly wouldn't be as entertaining to see an overweight man struggle to kick a digit back into place than a man with karate expertise.

I know you said you don't like Drew and he has not earned your respect, but that is just so insulting to call Drew that.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."