Author Topic: Another one bites the dust...  (Read 52917 times)

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Another one bites the dust...
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:51:34 PM »
I understand that "Barker's Bargain Bar" has been disassembled and is no longer backstage in storage.

Reportedly, there is at least one other game on the retirement list, and several others potentially on deck.

We'll let you know what's next!
John

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Another one bites the dust...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
So the day we finally find out when the new sign debuted is the day we find out it gets retired? Oh, great. BBB was a great game, I always loved seeing it get played. So sad to see it go.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »
...which would explain its absence.  This is so upsetting...

I noticed Drew stopped referring to Bob Barker during its last playings, perhaps as instructed by TPTB?  And, now, all references of the legend himself are gone, save for the opening, although I'm sure even that isn't safe.

Thank you for the information (I guess...)

John, I know you don't tell every secret you know, but if possible, can you reveal the other games that are in danger?

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »
.....why?

You had no reason to,  It was a solid game and concept that people could follow. If the higher ups were really worried about the title, they could just do what they did for the game formerly known as Barker$ Marker$. I really don't get this.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
Wow, I see no reason to just scrap random game. It reminds me of that Mafia game, only the producers are controlling the pricing games.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
...that makes no sense.  Honestly, it's got to have something to do with the name being "Barker's Bargain Bar" -- there's seriously no other reason to get rid of the thing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »
Damn it. Can Syd and Mike do anything logical? It's a shame that one of the few references to Bob left in the Drew era has been removed. That's not very tasteful of them to do such a thing; there was no good reason for it to be retired. What are they thinking?

Well, I guess we should add it to the Retired Pricing games thread in Out in Left Field...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:05:47 PM by noobslayer88 »
Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »
Do you know the reason for this retirement?
I would have taken a name change rather than a retirement.  Wouldn't matter if it referenced Drew (Drew's Discounts) or didn't (Bargain Game).

Also, on Week 5 of this season on The Price is Right Timeline, it says
"Thursday's Switch? was originally scheduled as Barker's Bargain Bar."
I'm thinking its retirement had something to do with this.

Reportedly, there is at least one other game on the retirement list, and several others potentially on deck.
My guess is that it is 3 Strikes for Drew's remark about it being boring.  Do you know (and can you tell us) which ones are "on deck" as you put it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:05:12 PM by JokerFan »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 09:03:34 PM »
If they were going to do something to Barker's Bargain Bar so that it would not bear any mention of Bob, they could have simply removed the BBB sign, and call it "The Bargain Game" or something.  Getting rid of it is just senseless, unless they have a recent affinity for 1 Right Price and Switch? and find that those games are worth playing over BBB.

This just sucks.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:06:41 PM »
I hate to think it's because it refers to Bob Barker...Drew respected him at least somewhat most times last season during gameplay...but what other reason could there be??? :'(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:09:03 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
...that makes no sense.  Honestly, it's got to have something to do with the name being "Barker's Bargain Bar" -- there's seriously no other reason to get rid of the thing.

That's exactly the reason I thought too. Now we can only hope that these other games don't get retired, though I'm sure their case is probably pretty helpless at this point as well.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »
I hate to think it's because it refers to Bob Barker...Drew respected him at least somewhat most times last season during gameplay...but what other reason could there be??? :'(

With the amount of control Drew has reportedly had on the show, I find it hard to believe that they would have retired a game he wanted kept around.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:13:44 PM »
With the amount of control Drew has reportedly had on the show, I find it hard to believe that they would have retired a game he wanted kept around.
I agree completely...but why the sudden change of heart? Or are the higher-ups asserting themselves and instead of using their heads for once to create another alliteration combo (someone said "Drew's Discounts" - liked that), are being lazy and saying just take it away?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
I genuinely don't think it's because of the title. Otherwise, as said, they would have done with what they did to what's now Make Your Mark at the beginning of the season. There must have been some higher up that found something else within the game.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »
I haven't been responding to many of these threads, but this is just odd.  Is the goal now to whittle the show down to just the 12 or so games which Drew enjoys?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker