Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/03/2008  (Read 11635 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/03/2008
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
The Price is Right - Dec. 3, 2008
Production #4444K - Taped July 21, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Tamiko

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Wish

1   4 Daisy Rock Girl Guitars (R)
ARDYCE 2400 GERALD *1800 FLORENCE 1525 ANTHONY 1 ($2176)

Gerald from New Orleans, LA plays 5 PRICETAGS for a Dodge Charger (Std., AT)(T)

$21,899Drink Mixer$25FALSE$40*
(2)$24,485NO(Caron) Bluetooth Speaker130FALSE130
$23,572Toiletry Bag25FALSE25
(1)$25,191NO(PNY) 8GB Flash Drive74FALSE108*
$22,605LOSS

2   The World Book Encyclopedia (B&T)
+Ardyce *1 LISA 1500 +Florence 1200 +Anthony 1000 ($999)

Ardyce plays ONE WRONG PRICE

Corsican Signey Cradle (B)$4625
Morris Scuba Equipment (T)2250
2 Lance Charming 50 Motorscooters (R)PICK1990$2598WIN!

3   Flexsteel Jackson Sofa (B)
PASCUAL *1300 Lisa 900 +Florence 695 +Anthony 920 ($1875)

Pascual plays BONKERS for a Cal Spas A875L Hot Tub (R&T)($7102)

4 5 7 8Time
1.L H L L:25
2.L L H L:18
3.H L L H:12
4.L H H L:04
5.H H L L:00LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1 (still with that Purple Wheel)
$1,875Pascual10 + 15.25
2,324Gerald  5 + 45.50
9,473Ardyce75 stay.75Through to Showcase Round

4   (JVC) 47" LCD HDTV (T)
KRISTINA *2500 Lisa 3500 +Florence 1200 +Anthony 1400 ($2999)

Kristina plays STACK THE DECK for a Dodge Caliber SE (Std., AT, Chill, Stereo, Lamps)(B)

Setup:   6 5 4 0 8 9 1

(Glad Forceflex) Trash Bags (24 18 Gal)
(Walgreen's) Pain Reliever$8.99$8.99*(1) 1
(Cinnergen) Supplement15.9915.99*(3) 8
(NasoClear) Nasal Spray (60)
(Hall's Naturals) Cough Drops (bag)1.492.15X
(Totino's) Pizza Rolls (15)
PICKS:$16,859
PRICE:$16,845LOSS

5   Broyhill Attic Heirloom Dining Group (B)
ANGELA 800 Lisa 3200 +Florence *1299 +Anthony 900 ($2099)

Florence from Franswood, TX plays 5-number SQUEEZE PLAY for a Ford Ranger XL (Std., Wheels, Cruise, Tilt, Stereo)(R)

Setup:1 5 2 8 3 5
Pick:$ 1 5 8 3 5
Price:$ 1 5 2 3 5   LOSS

Anthony, don't look now, but your mystery date is making eyes at you. It's Mimi. I know. Real fetching creature, she is. Only, if she fetches you it won't be a pleasurable experience. It'll mean banishment to the "First Four" Breakfast Club. You don't want to experience that, do you?

6   (Bose) Media Center (T)
Angela 2232 Lisa 2400 TIM 2000 +Anthony *600 ($1499)

Anthony escapes! He plays MAGIC #

Danby Silhouette 166-bottle Wine Cooler (B)$1599
Anthony's MAGIC #  892  
Inspire M3 Home Gym (R)$2995LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,499Anthony15 + 60.75
2,099Florence35 + 35.70
2,999Kristina40 + 55.95Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Ardyce has the honor.

SC1-Kristina SUN, SAND & SURF (R)
Assorted Swimwear
Trip to Mau'i (NWA Vacations; 6n @ Hyatt)
West Wight Potter 19' Sailboat
BID$18,000
PRICE26,046
DIFF–8,046
SC2-Ardyce BRANDI DIGS FOR OIL (Then about $145 a barrel; now under $50)
Corona Gardening Equipment
Evolution Rotary Saws
4 1 oz Gold Bars (open price)
Jeep Compass (Std., 2.4l, 5 Spd., #25D)(T)
BID$28,000
PRICE22,482
DIFFOVER
TOTAL$29,045

Today's Pricing Games: 1 for 6
Total Winnings: $39,841

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:22:49 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/03/2008
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:17 PM »
Very good lineup today if I do say so myself. You can never go wrong starting things with 5 Price Tags and ending with Magic #. It's sad though we only have two more shows to enjoy in which Roger's fingerprints are on. I'll relish them.

Drew's buildup for the car in Five Price Tags would have been great if he'd have put a little more oomph and enthusiasm into it.

Speaking of Tags, how was this lost? There was only two plausible looking prices for the Charger. Roger had this set up to be won.

Despite not looking at the audience Pascual played Bonkers pretty badly. Going lower 3 times for the first digit really killed him in this game.

Are people really that ignorant of car prices that they can't figure out the first digit?!? I groaned when Kristina chose the 1st digit as her pick in STD. That 1 should have been obvious as the 1st digit. She really wasted that.

Whoo hoo 3 car day!!!! $15,835 looked a lot better to me than $15,235 in Squeeze Play.

Magic # was just pitiful. Anthony's playing was one of the worst i've seen in this game in a while and we've seen some pretty awful playings.

Hey, two quality showcases today, of course what really helped is that the prizes matched the themes fairly well. But overall these were two good showcases. Now if only we could see this on a regular basis.

Offline Fukuoka304

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »
Very tough games today expect for one, and the most damaging thing about today's show was Drew's failure to give away a car on three separate occasions. It's too premature to say that Drew's in a minor slump, trying to give away a car. He's only given away one car during the last two days. How sad! I thought the first contestant set the wrong tone when he couldn't find the right price of the car. He really brought the contestants a bunch of bad luck.

I think I know what Drew's top priority come Thursday will be:

GIVE AWAY A NEW CAR.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
I dont think drew actually explained to kristina that the 5 numbers she needed were the price of the car.. while obvious, i dont think she quite figured that out, i think she was just trying to pick random numbers.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
Very tough games today expect for one, and the most damaging thing about today's show was Drew's failure to give away a car on three separate occasions...

Drew really has nothing to do with a car being won or not, if a contestant loses the game, it's not Drew's fault.  If your enjoyment of the show is completely reliant on cars won, I don't know what to say to you.  Having all the cars offered lost doesn't "damage" the show in any way at all, there are other moments to look for to make the show have a happy tone.  Drew's last priority is to make sure prizes are won, and he should concentrate on making the contestants feel comfortable on stage and happy to be there.

Now on to the show...

I do have to say, it was a nice change of pace in Squeeze Play for Drew not to say "alakazam!"  

Stack the Deck has really had some contestants who played it badly this season, asking for the first number is one of the worst moves to do in the game.

Drew bashes the Purple Wheel yet again, I wonder how many days it took for Syd or whomever to be convinced the wheel had to be painted again.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
Today's episode I felt was the worst out of this week's episodes so far but it was still good.

*5 Price Tags: I knew that the price of the car was either 21, 22, or 24. The other ones ended with strange numbers (which is why I don't get him picking the price tag that ended with a 1).

*Bonkers: Sort of a tough loss. Had only one wrong.

*Stack the Deck: WHY ARE YOU GOING TO PICK THE FIRST DIGIT!?!?!?! GRRRR! lol. I literally yelled at the TV when she said she wanted the first digit.

*Squeeze Play: Nice seeing this played for a car. Too bad she lost.

*Magic #: He set the price waaaay too low.

*Showcases: #1- Pretty Straightforward
                      #2- Good showcase and it had a great theme. I really like how the oil shot out and then they tied it in to the car.

**BRAD'S BREAKDOWN**

Drew's Hosting: 8.0

Pricing Game lineup: 8.5

Pricing Game Wins: 1.5

Writing (showcase/IUFB): 9.5

Tilt: 9.5 [Good lineup. Nice seeing squeeze play for a car.  This is mostly for the lack of wins in today's show though.]

Final Score for Today's Episode: 7.5 out of 10
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:51:17 PM by Bgamer90 »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
Let's break down today's losses:

-5PT: All the prices sometimes look so similar if you don't buy cars often, although -5 should have stuck out, but not -05. Charger was also overpriced by him, it was slightly stripped.
(-OWP: That cradle was begging to be picked - we could have easily had a skunk day. Nice!)
-Bonkers: >4 and <8 should have been obvious, making it an easy win, even with the weirdest price I've seen in awhile.
-Stacky: This game's in a rut, there's no way to explain it. Will someone play it properly please? Even 16895 would have been a respectable loss, or 16840 if she'd picked the 4th digit like she should have. That -59 was a bad combo too, -29 or -79 works with -9.
-Squeezy: 15235, 15835, and 15285 all looked good, so no fault here.
-Magic #: Adding to my case we need to start it at $1000 - contestants don't realize they REALLY need to move it up now.

B-
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:54:12 PM »
Opening:  Different announcement from Rich.  He didn't draw out Drew's name today.  Not "Drewwwwwwwwww Carey!"  Just a simple "Drew Carey!"

Taggy:  Yay!  5 Pirce Tags! :P Well, Roger definitely left his mark on today's show.  That was one stripped Dodge Charger.  The base price of a Charger is $22,575.  Automatic transmission as an option usually goes for about $1,000.  So how that car came to only $22,605 is a mystery to me.

1WP:  Yay!  Half-Off cue! :P Speaking of questionable prices, $4,600 for a friggin' cradle?!

Bonky:  Well, I'm glad Pascual never looked at the audience... but seriously, there was no excuse for this game to be lost with that setup.  The last two digits were obviously not gonna be higher than 7 and 8.

Rig the Cards:  Oh, for the love of all that is sacred, NOT THE FIRST NUMBER!  :headbang:

*Stack the Deck: WHY ARE YOU GOING TO PICK THE FIRST DIGIT!?!?!?! GRRRR!

LAWSUIT!

Expect a private message from Bully or Fieldsy very soon. :P

Squeezy Plus:  WHOO 3-car day!

Magic:  Not another sub-$1,000 magic number.  :headbang:

My showcase bids:
Boat of Doom--$23,007
Jeep--$21,007
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
What a great show today. Great lineup and I was having so much fun playing along in chat (and was excited by the 3-car day) that I didn't even notice the 1-for-6er until the end. Great hosting by Drew too - a great explanation of Bonkers (and a player that knew how to play it!) made that game better plus a very well hosted 5PT and Magic # - great show all around. Drew should watch this show and build on it for future shows. I liked the joke about asking the woman what she weighed before 1WP, haha.

Savor this week, folks. I'm going to try to be optimistic and hope that last week's shows are the positive direction that this show is going in. In the meantime, though, this week has been AWESOME so far. I mean, Roger's really going out in style, is he not? No Switch?, Pushover, Lucky $even, Plinko, One Away, Money Game, Pass the Suck, or Cover Up yet this week. Just curveballs like Balance Game for a car. Even if all of these games are played in the next couple days (and they're all good games except for one, just overplayed), it will still be a pretty cool week for lineups. Personally, I'm holding out hope for a nice playing of either Pathfinder or 10C on Thursday or Friday. We've only seen those once each this season, right? Also, I would like to see a nice last hurrah for BBB on either Thursday or Friday.

Stack The Deck is a tough, tough game. Even though the GP portion is usually pretty easy, once you finish that you have a car portion that is among the toughest of any game on the show. If you blow a GP (and a free number), you practically erase your chance of winning. And if you fall victim to the 2 for the price of 1 syndrome (i.e. asking for the first number as your free number), while in that game you can still win, here you practically erase your chance of winning. Someone should tell these contestants that. I'm surprised this game isn't lost more than it is and that it's taken this long to get on a frustrating losing streak. In my opinion also, this game should often be played for more expensive cars (TTM/Card Game tier expensive at least) to reflect its difficulty.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:57:48 PM »
It was amusing to see the showcase about high gas prices, considering that they're now the lowest they've been in years. :lol:

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Gerald
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:19 PM »
Today's lineup was awesome.  Five Price Tags...Bonkers for the second time in two weeks...Stack the Deck fourth...Squeeze Play for a car...

...you know, this week is really making me miss Roger.  These were some of the last shows he had a substantial amount of influence over, and it really shows.

1 Wrong Price was hard.  Even for someone who knows about their prices, $4,625 for that cradle looked ridiculously expensive.  It's kind of hard to believe this ended up being the only game all day that wasn't lost.

Bonkers was played really, really badly.  It's kind of hard to win when you can't even make up your mind what the first number is.

I can't believe how many people in Stack the Deck have picked the first number lately.  You can't really fault Drew for it, either -- his explanation was kind of...well, bumbling, but seriously, there's only so many things the phrase "free numbers" can mean.

It never ceases to amaze me how little thought some people put into Magic #.

Outside of the Halloween showcases, #2 today was probably the best one we've seen all season.

Speaking of the second showcase, that was the least Jeep-like Jeep I've ever seen.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:25 PM »
Speaking of the second showcase, that was the least Jeep-like Jeep I've ever seen.

I don't blame you for saying that, the Compass is basically a duded-up Dodge Caliber.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
5 Price Tags:  Too bad! :-(
One Wrong Price:  Nice job, and thanks for keeping us from being skunked, Ardyce! :-D  I thought for sure the cradle was the one with the wrong price because $4,625 seemed a little too high for a cradle to me.
Bonkers:  Missed it by one number - ouch! :cry:  I figured the first number would be higher than 4.
Stack The Deck:  I can't believe Kristina:  a) Chose the first number for one of her free numbers, and b) Chose 5 for the 4th number in the price!  :evil: :headbang:
Squeeze Play:  Too bad! :-(  With that setup, it could've been any of the three prices.
Magic #:  Another ID10T! :evil: (Okay, maybe that's too harsh.)  I can't remember the last time I saw a prize on Magic # that was less than $1,000.
Showcases:  Great showcases today! :-D  Did they have the right price for Showcase 2?  I thought for sure the Jeep Compass would be over $20,000!

Not too good overall, IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:06:47 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »
Did I miss something during the break? Why did Drew ask a contestant how much she weighed, out of the blue?

Hey, Drew actually asked something interesting when he asked Anthony about his sleeping arrangements as he traveled across the country. And Anthony responded with something interesting. That's the kind of thing Drew needs to work on to do more consistently.

It was so refreshing to see that second showcase. It wasn't trying to overshadow the prizes, it was just a nice, simple little narrative that helped to introduce the four things. I don't understand why they chose to move away from that.

Offline Mark77

• Outside in Line
  • Long live 60-013!
    • Mad Mark's Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:17:10 AM »
What a horrible show. Too much failure, and some of those contestants were total idiots. I'm sorry, there's no better way to say it. Drew did a good job, though. Some of his explanations were great.

Grade: F.
Words of Wisdom:
If you're going to be a fan of the show, that's one thing. But constantly memorizing prices is another. If you do this, please stop immediately and get a life. Thank you.
-----------------------
Long live 60-013!