Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/10/2008  (Read 21932 times)

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/10/2008
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
I admit, when I started watching the second showcase I thought I was going to hate it. But it was different, and there was some suspense to it as I wondered if Rich would make it through. Although the little Hag in the back of my mind said No, he's gonna get wet.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »
I don't think there was any suspense at all. There was no way they weren't gonna dunk him one way or the other.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:39 PM »
In my opinion, I thought it was funny when Rich got wet.

Offline Todd97

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I was more uncomfortable with the edited and rushed feel of the show than Showcase 2.

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »
Rich doesn't look like an oppressed man to me when he's doing these showcases. I think he's been waiting to get screen time for a while now and doesn't mind doing the silly stuff at all. Yeah, they're overdoing the "let's do lots of unpleasant stuff to Rich" showcases, but I don't see what all the horror is about. At least it was better than one of those "let's base this showcase around some repeated phrase that isn't particularly funny to begin with" showcases.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
If you wish, I could find out.  But don't condemn the guy or the rest of the staff, the show is still in a transition period.  I'm a fan like everyone else, but I don't take things so seriously or nitpick every little detail

A transition period to what? A show I can barely recognize as the Price is Right anymore, A show that is more and more becoming the Drew Carey hour rather than the Price is Right?

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
There was no way they weren't gonna dunk (Rich) one way or the other.

Amen. You just knew ol' Rachel was going to hit that button and soak Fieldsy no matter what. She had horns growing out of the side of her head. But, what would really have been funny is if a trap door opened under Rachel instead.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »
Tamiko acted that out really well... I honestly thought she dropped that laptop on accident. :lol:

I loved the second showcase... it was exactly the humor they're trying to pull off with this "new direction", but this time, it was actually well-executed.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Troy and Brittania share it today
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
The last time Grand Game was played first was February 8, 1993.
What site did you find that fact?

MOD NOTE: CLICK HERE and scroll down. - JC

I saw the first half of the show, then had to go to school to write one of my exams.

Grand Game: tough setup. You don't see grand game played first a lot. GLAD Garbage bags and vitamin water seemed obvious. I would've never guessed the pain reliever. I would've taken the money if I hit $1000.

Pathy: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING STEPPIN ON THE 3 FOR THE SECOND NUMBER?!! BIG GARF OF 2008!
I didn't think Ford Rangers were in the $19000 range. I'm used to seeing them as $15000 or $16000

MYM: I would've guessed $10 for the car but then I am thinkin "Gucci stuff is pretty expensive". Only bright spot of the show (besides Rich getting dunked, which sounds humorous. even though i missed it).

SCSD 1: Never saw a tie in a bonus spin before. I thought when the guy landed on the 15 cents space in the second spinoff, he won $10,000.

I missed the rest of the show, but I will grade the show 7/10
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:21:15 PM by Joe_Capitano »
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Fukuoka304

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »
I don't know if it bears repeating, but the last three shows on TPIR have been terrible. I think the contestants are making a lot of mistakes, because they're trying too hard to win a big prize right away. The contestants have got to do a much better job executing, and focusing on what they need to do to win a big prize on a pricing game. The showcases and the showdowns are very entertaining to watch, but it's been a bit of a pain the last two of three days watching contestants make so many mistakes on pricing games. I need to see contestants challenge themselves to do whatever it will take for them to win the big prizes, and not make so many mistakes on the pricing games they're trying to play. We'll see what happens Thursday and Friday.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
I have this proposal for you, attend a taping and, if you get called on down, show contestants how games should be played (in your opinion), without making mistakes.  If you lose when playing yours, then you will realize how much pressure the contestants feel on stage and from the peanut gallery.

I believe we had one of our members win his way on stage in Season 35 and he played Cover Up.  In his taping report here, he said that he knew Cover Up strategy, but his mind went blank when he was playing the game because he was excited that he was on the stage, with Bob next to him, and he had the chance to win a new car right there.  I'd say that is enough to make someone tense and susceptible to losing his game.

Also, once you have spoken what's on your mind, I think you can forever hold your peace on it.  In my opinion, there's no need for things to "bear repeating" once you already said it in the same thread.  It comes off, to me, at least, that you're trying to shove your opinion down our throats.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:34:52 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »
Grand: It was kind of a treat to see it played first. Too bad about the outcome.  :-(

Pathfinder: A Ford Ranger on STEROIDS or a win far within reach? You be the judge.

MYM: Brittania was a BLAST!!! Her reactions was just amazing to see and I'm glad she won her game as well.  :-)

One Away: Without the line or Drew turning the digits himself (If it continues), it just didn't feel like "One Away".

1RP: AWWWWWWW!!!!!! :headbang:

Squeeze: Just not right at all.

Showcases: The continuing saga of "Let's torture poor 'ol Rich Fields" has no end in sight.  :-(  The results of the showcase were very close, too.

A 2-star show.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »
Well, Drew, ya did it.  Ya took One Away, the only part of the show where you'd arguably improved upon Bob's method of hosting, and totally destroyed it.  I hope you're proud.

Grand Game is not a bad first game at all.  Drew's hosting of it, however, was lackluster.  It felt even more than usual like he was going through the motions for the entire first two acts.

It did look for a minute, though, like Troy had a helluva comeback underway in Pathfinder...and I've gotta say, I'd have won if I'd gotten as far as he did.

1 Right Price and Squeeze Play is not a good way to end a lineup.

The plug for the laptop in the first showcase needed to be done differently.  Dropping it could have worked, but the second time it happened felt way too scripted (and yes, I realize that it was -- but a script isn't supposed to make you aware of its own existence unless it intentionally breaks the fourth wall, which isn't even close to what was happening).

The second showcase was goofy, but funny.  It probably wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much as it did if they weren't trying to do this kind of thing almost every other day and usually meeting with far less success.

I'm still willing to bet that it has something to do with his foot. In the other episode where it was revealed like this, Drew was still wearing the "boot" (though, he no longer had the cane).

I don't know...I can understand having Tamiko there, and even dispensing with "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?" made sense on the soap opera episode...but there was no reason for it to happen on this episode.  I hope I'm wrong, though.

the show is still in a transition period.

To what?!

I don't know if it bears repeating, but the last three shows on TPIR have been terrible. I think the contestants are making a lot of mistakes, because they're trying too hard to win a big prize right away...

No, it didn't bear repeating.  In fact, it didn't bear saying it the first time.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
I'm willing to give One Away one more chance. As I recall, weren't this case and the last one both in hurry up mode(If that's not true, let me know)? In that case I don't know how much influence Drew would have had in this case. Can't say for sure, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt if that's true. But if that wasn't true or he does this one more time, then I think it's gone for good.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline FlipFlopper7769

• 4/10/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:18 PM »
Did anyone else feel that today's show was extremely rushed? Granted I know there were a lot of edits because of Drew's foot, but it seemed like it was moving as quick as possible to get to a showcase that wasn't all that spectacular.

On the plus side, there were a lot of very good contestants today and I'd have liked to have seen them more since the show is about the contestants and all. (My try at a bit of sarcasm concerning the current status of the show)
You can go ahead and call me "Mr. Money Game"!
I was on TPiR: Jan 8, 2007!  AIR DATE: Apr. 10, 2007!