Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 242053 times)

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »
I don't care how suspicious Drew was. This is a TV show. Drew is supposed to at least make it exciting for us viewers at home. When he read that price, I had no idea whether the contestant had won or lost, because of his monotone voice. My sister, watching it as well, was even more disgusted with Drew's performance than I was. To ruin one of the greatest moments in the history of The Price Is Right, Drew Carey is not just a terrible host, he not only deserves to be fired, but he is the worst host of a major game show - ever, and this was the worst hosting performance ever done. I may never watch The Price Is Right again after today, because I can be sure that Drew can ruin anything, absolutely anything, even an exact bid on a showcase. Maybe he'd ruin a legit $50,000 Plinko win, it's possible. I have given this guy every chance possible, and I'm through. I mean, I haven't liked it for a while, but at least I'd still watch the show, even for unintentional humor. That's it. The Price Is Right, to me, is dead as a currently-running show. Instead, it will live on to me in old videos with Bob Barker hosting, as well as board games and electronic games where Drew can't ruin anything. This is the last straw. The white flag Willy held up? That's what I'm holding up now, as it is over. Drew Carey has ruined The Price Is Right, and I'm through with watching his dreadful performances.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2008, 05:23:30 PM »
If that was me today hosting...i`d have held back a second...said...we don`t normally do this...but,take a look at this card here...tell,us the price on it...you have a perfect showcase bid...on the money...you have got both showcases...
Usual plugs and sign off..

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Reading everything that actually went down at the studio that day, I am not as angry with Drew as I was earlier.

Sooooooooo those LFAT who know their prices are the ones to be angry at, they're the ones to blame for Drew's tone?

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
Sooooooooo those LFAT who know their prices are the ones to be angry at, they're the ones to blame for Drew's tone?
Being a loyal friend and true is one thing. Being obsessive is quite another. I consider myself a decent fan of the show, maybe even an "LFAT". I can tell you how much a can of salsa costs and how much that mini-pack of Chips Ahoy! is worth or whether or not that Ford is going to end in a "0" or a "3", but I can't combine the value of three different Showcase values.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:45:40 PM by chad1m »

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
Being a loyal friend and true is one thing. Being obsessive is quite another.
Exactly.

Offline whewfan

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »
Aside from Drew's lackluster reveal, I actually thought this was one of THE best shows of Season 37! The trashcan thing... okay that was dumb and silly. However, Drew's reaction to the One Away player as she came on down, and later played her pricing game, were also great moments for the show. Also, the Any Number player that PICKED UP DREW. If Bob was in that spot, we'd probably see the end of Bob.

The contestants modeling... great! The trip showcase didn't bother me at all.

I do think that Drew's reveal was possibly one of "well, I think you had some help, but here we go." It's also possible that Drew was just tired after the long stopdown.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
Here's another thought.  If they don't want the potential contestants memorizing prices and using that to their advantage, then STOP USING THE SAME PRIZES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again!!

Use a prize once, or twice, or even three times, but they've offered that trailer so many times now, even Joe Plinko knows its exact price!!

I always thought this was a perfect marketing ploy for the show.  You reward your loyal viewers for watching.  Duh!  Sure, it might feel redundant (to us) at times, but rarely do we see the exact same prizes several days in the same week.

Bob used to say "You see, if you watch our show as often as [contestant], it pays off!  Enjoy your new car!"  Some of the best contestants on the show were loyal viewers who memorized prices.  Buy or Sell Michael was such a treat. 

How often does it really happen that someone memorizes the prices?  Not often enough to be worried about it.

I congratulate Ted for his excellent pricing abilities!
John

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
I saw the reveal...Drew's hosting was incredibly HORRID. I don't care if it was "tainted", Drew should've hosted this reveal like a PRO, not some twit who has all but convinced me that this show will not see Season 38.

If that was me today hosting...I'd have held back a second...said..."We don't normally do this...but take a look at this card here...tell us the price on it...you have a perfect Showcase bid...on the money...you have got both Showcases..." ...Usual plugs and sign-off...

Here's my take.
 "Alright, Sharon, you bid $30,525 on your Showcase. Actual retail PRICE - thirty-one thousand and nineteen, a difference of... (ding) $494! That was a very good bid, my dear!"

*moves over to Terry's podium* "Now, if you're closer, you'll win, Terry. Your bid - you remember your bid?"

"$23,743."

"That's exactly it. Actual retail price - ...the audience will remain quiet, please. Thank you.

Twenty-three thousand...SEVEN-FORTY-THREE! (clangs/whoops/etc.) HOLY CRAP! You got it exact - you got the EXACT price, man! You won $56,437 worth of prizes today, and I can;t think of a better way to close the show. You know, the last time this happened the host was Dennis James? Again, congratulations - and... (grabs price tag and envelope) Here. THIS is a souvenir, my friend!"

*walks to Sharon* "Sharon, my dear, thanks for being here. I hope you enjoyed yourself. You made a rather good bid, so don't feel bad for yourself. Hey, FOLKS, I'm Daniel Benfield saying don't miss the show tomorrow 'cause if you do then we'll miss you - and you might miss a moment like this. Make it a good day, my friends. GOODBYE, EVERYONE!"

(standard credits)
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline childd82

• Outside in Line
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2008, 06:08:38 PM »
There is something that I don't think anyone has considered. If everyone was having 45 minutes of conversation and they thought the bid was iffy, maybe they told Drew to not get excited about it incase they later decided for some reason that he cheated so they weren't going to give him the prizes.

Offline greg

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
You really think he was privy to that information?  I figured he went to his dressing room & ate doughnuts or something while they had the meeting.  When he came back they told him who to start with.  It just seems like he wouldn't even want to be included in a producers meeting.  Why would he care?  He likes to see people win, but most of the other stuff , he acts like it doesn't concern him.....

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »
You really think he was privy to that information?  I figured he went to his dressing room & ate doughnuts or something while they had the meeting.

Umm... Drew sticks around during the stop downs, just like Bob did, though most of the time, the host is just entertaining the audience during those stop downs. So unless Fingers called him over to the table, he probably wasn't privy to what was going on. Maybe Ted could provide us with some insight as to what Drew was doing during this stop down...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Drew was in complete shock and total disbelief that the bid was exactly right, especially with that odd amount. Does it excuse the way he revealed it? No.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:26:53 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
At least he was more excited with the first-ever million-dollar win last year. If they showed him a clip of Adam's win, maybe this will inspire him to get back to the level of Season 36. It will take some time, but it can be done. Again, I'm glad that I lived to finally see the Showcase's first-ever perfect bid in daytime.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
There is something that I don't think anyone has considered. If everyone was having 45 minutes of conversation and they thought the bid was iffy, maybe they told Drew to not get excited about it incase they later decided for some reason that he cheated so they weren't going to give him the prizes.
Since this episode is out of order by 3 weeks late, that's quite a possibility...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I wonder about what was said in the 45-minute stop-tape.  

Could it be that the decision was made to continue with the reveals, but that the general feeling was that this show was never going to see the light of day, pending review?  This could account for much of Drew's general apathy here.  

I'm not saying that this excuses Drew's weak ending today, but I wonder what the mind-set of the producers was as tape began rolling again.

EDIT - the previous post contains the same concept, but I'll just piggy-back on it
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
Everything was going good for this show---except for Pick-A-Number being played---until Drew hosted that history-making moment in a way that would make Barry Gray cry. Disgraceful.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.