Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 242155 times)

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
What - am I the oldest person in this forum?  (47 in February)
Was everyone else too young to remember the first perfect showcase bid?
I can't believe I am the only one who remembers seeing it - and it was definitely a Barker daytime episode.
(I also remember (a) the winning bid was $2200, (b) the podium did say "00000" after the price was announced, and (c) it was before the Double Showcase Winner rule was introduced.)

I think I know why some people think it happened on the nighttime version; the only showcase tie I remember seeing in the show's history happened on a Dennis James nighttime show.

-- Don

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
What - am I the oldest person in this forum?

No, apparently you're the newest. :)

Was everyone else too young to remember the first perfect showcase bid?

I've been watching the show as long as you have (I was home from school on Labor Day 1972), but I didn't see the show with the original PB. It makes sense that it would have been on a price ending in 00, and in the days of four-digit Showcases (narrower range of possible bids). But I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that Bob told the player who was $2 away, several years later, that it was the closest bid ever. That may be why some of us think it was on a nighttime show - since $2 away was the closest bid Bob ever saw. Just a hunch.

John

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »
No, apparently you're the newest. :)

Actually, his account was only created two months after yours.  :)

But I would also like to mention that, for reasons unknown to me, when I went to my 3rd ever taping on August 3rd, I too was moved from my cozy seat in the second row to a seat probably in the 8th row in the middle.  For the life of me, I have no idea why I was moved. 

Um...holy ****.  So much for my ever wanting to go to the studio again.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
He didn't say 72 or 73. The thing is, the show was in a time crunch because of the Every Trip in the House showcase (there's a reason why they don't do that one often). He was in a hurry...period. Again, I do wonder if anyone here will realize that time is the defining factor for much of his behavior. More enthusiasm would've been nice. But on the other hand, he has about 20 seconds to get off of the air, if that. Would Bob have been more enthusiastic? Probably but he didn't have time to put much more into it.

I have one word...BULLS**T!!! That's a horrible excuse, and you know it. Just take a look at all the other DSWs he's presided over, especially the other one this season, and you'll see...GASP!...EMOTION!!! This was inexcusable, and if you think a time crunch has anything to do with it, you are really mistaken.

Offline EaglesWings2008

• In the Audience
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »
I did  not see the show b/c I was studying for an test I had to take tomorrow... May be they can re air it

Anywho if there is another perfect bid in the SC they should have ballons and stuff ready in case something likes this happens... 

Oj well Guess I have towatch it on Not a valid %s URL or something

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2008, 10:23:42 PM »
Actually, his account was only created two months after yours.  :)

My comment was based on the fact that it was his first post. Of course, as soon as he says something else, his post count will go up and what I said will seem completely nonsensical. :)

John

EDIT to add the following: I just rewatched Terry's bid. Earlier, I speculated that maybe it was simply that a contestant had paid enough close attention to the show to memorize the right combination of prices and bid accordingly. On the basis of my rewatching him, I'd say that if he didn't get that bid from Ted or someone else, it's more likely that he simply blurted out a random number between 1 and 25,000 and happened to be right...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:26:05 PM by JohnHolder »

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
the only thing i have to say about todays show is the reveal. IMO, it was horrible and i wasnt really excited about it at all. If Drew could be excited and all for a Lucky $even win, why cant he beexcited about a major event? That could have been an amazing finish to the show, if Drew showed a little more excitement. actual retail price...twentythreethousandsevenfortyth ree. He did great with the previous DSW reveal and it was only $129. This was on the nose. ok i think im done my rant now. Im just really starting to get tired of this unenthusiasm in the showcase reveals.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
OK...Now I'm watching the show in its entirety on CBS.com, and after Any Number, Drew exclaims, "The audience wins you a car!!!" Then to react the way he did for the showcase reveal is hypocritical. Either you like the audience help, or you don't. make up your mind.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
Axl (along with Ted in this forum) brought up something in the Talk forum that I would like to bring up here: Drew was obviously briefed on what was happening, and knew (somewhat) when the last time it happened; he knew what was up.

Although Drew should've acted like he was excited, I think knowing the result ahead of time really took away the possibility for an exciting reveal.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
OK...Now I'm watching the show in its entirety on CBS.com, and after Any Number, Drew exclaims, "The audience wins you a car!!!" Then to react the way he did for the showcase reveal is hypocritical. Either you like the audience help, or you don't. make up your mind.

QFT.

Someone needs to write this up, print it out, and put it on the door of every single Power That May or May Not Be over at Television City tomorrow.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »
Today's episode was the best this season imo. Lots of great wins. Drew was pretty good though I didn't like how he went in Sharon's face when she came to contestant's row. It reminded me of an sketch from a comedy show. Also his entrance was "complete fail". You can clearly see him push the garbage can out.  Anyways, this was sooo meant to be a 6 for 6 day. The guy should have went on with it's in the bag. Also "Switch?" was set up to be won. No excuse for him to lose. I find it interesting that he lost on the switch gimme and yet he had the showcase right on the nose. I honestly think something fishy happened since he got that on the nose and he also got his IUFB on the nose too. It makes me wonder if he lost Switch on purpose. Another reason I say this is because of Drew's reaction to him getting his showcase right on the nose. Drew seemed like he knew something we didn't know. I heard that this episode was pushed back... I can see why. Hopefully we don't have another "21" on our hands. It would be sad to see TPiR go down like that. But anyways, I thought today's showcases were pretty good.

*Any Number: What a win! Down to the wire!

*It's in the Bag: Shoulda kept going! Forget the audience!

*Switch: Like I said... this was such a gimme.

*Swap Meet: Another gimme.

*One Away: GREAT WIN!! Sharon was hilarious. Looks like the "sound effect lady" bit isn't done for...

*Pick A Number: This was really close to being a loss if it wasn't for her split second decision to change the number.

*Showcases:
#1- I loved this showcase! Nice audience participation.
#2- I laughed at this one. Might offend some though....

**BRAD'S BREAKDOWN**

Drew's Hosting: 8.0

Pricing Game lineup: 8.0

Pricing Game Wins: 8.0 (5/6 minus .5/10 for the contestant not going on in "It's in the Bag")

Writing (showcase/IUFB): 8.5

Tilt: 10 [Pretty good lineup. All of the contestants that came up on stage won something. A memorable One away win and also the showcase win at the end of the show (which I think there's something fishy going on). Best show of the season in my opinion and this wasn't purple wheel week!]

Final Score for Today's Episode: 8.5 out of 10
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:04:11 PM by Bgamer90 »

Offline Otm Shank

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »
I think knowing the result ahead of time really took away the possibility for an exciting reveal.

Drew was hired on the fact that he has a mastery of performance and showmanship. He's fast becoming the Joe Buck of game shows.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
It's been a while, why not now?

Any #: Nice comeback, help or no help. Drew, your feet may only touch the base of the prop.

IT'S: It is $2,000 more than you came to CBS with.

Switch?: Simple division. All it is is simple division.

Swap: Bart, is this intertship you're on last until the show ends? Just curious.

1A: That is how you do it. The car win as well as the sweet cartwheel.

PA#: Just break the prop already Drew.

Showcases: One last time Drew. Under $500 is dang good for the first reveal. If you know she did that without help, acknowledge it either to Sharon ("That's an excellent bid") or to Terry ("You better be lucky or good to come closer than $494 without going over on the trailer, etc.). You may have been "shocked" that someone did hit it on the nose, but give the moment its spotlight. You will be there tomorrow Drew; that opportunity to let everyone (emcee included) shine is gone.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks something fishy happened on today's show?

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:54 PM »
Bgamer, you really should read everyone else's posts in this thread.

On a related note, "8.0" for Drew's hosting?  May I ask why Drew deserves such a high score in the hosting category for today?