Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 242069 times)

Offline ABBA

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:59 AM »
Yeah I just watched that moment. He must have been having a bad day.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
You know what?  Ted did nothing wrong.

He didn't do anything wrong, but I'm going to have to go with the explanation Roger gave to Voltaire last season... it provides the contestant with an unfair advantage and it might raise suspicions amongst the viewing public (incidentally, it has... just about everybody outside this forum and game show-oriented forums is calling foul).

Ted might have not been bragging to others about his knowledge, as Voltaire did last season, but it's the same concept.

(still doesn't excuse the piss poor reveal by Drew)
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »
^ Would you still be upset at him if news came out somehow that the contestant cheated?

Since when did looking out to the audience for advice become cheating? Again--let it be reemphasized that Ted did nothing wrong.

(throws hands up in air in exasperation)

I guess according to the logic of some, Loyal fans and true who know their prices should never ever be welcomed on or to the show ever again.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:25:40 AM by rob79 »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:41 AM »
You still haven't read the thread, have you?

I have now....

I honestly was doing a lot for the past few hours and this was just making it worse lol. Since the show didn't air here in Buffalo I'm not "in-the-know" as much as you guys about everything. It's still brand new to me.

Sorry to get on your "anger side" (at least it seems like I did). But anyways I guess in the end I would have been indifferent if Drew acted excited or not.

Since when did looking out to the audience for advice become cheating?

Again I'm sorry...

MOD NOTE: Consecutive posts merged. - JC

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:42:31 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
He didn't do anything wrong, but I'm going to have to go with the explanation Roger gave to Voltaire last season... it provides the contestant with an unfair advantage and it might raise suspicions amongst the viewing public (incidentally, it has... just about everybody outside this forum and game show-oriented forums is calling foul).

Ted might have not been bragging to others about his knowledge, as Voltaire did last season, but it's the same concept.

I'm not aware of any such lecture having been given to Ted.

Sorry to get on your "anger side" (at least it seems like I did).

It wasn't anger -- it's just, we'd already told you we already knew more about this, and you were just kind of digging yourself into a hole by continuing to post without reading about it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2008, 12:28:47 AM »
Any Number-Wow, nice comeback from David.  I thought he was a goner.  LOL at David picking Drew up after he won.

One-Bid #2-I watched this round again, and I wonder if Sharon wanted to bid something other than $600.  Right after Drew said "600", it sounded like she said "ei--".  It certainly could've changed the results of the one-bid.

It's in the Bag-Shame on you, audience!  Zachary had it, but you cost him $14,000!

One Away-It just sounds so much better when the contestant begs to the "O Mighty Sound Effects Lady" for correct numbers instead of the new reveal.  Sharon was perfect for this game, and it looks like she won't have to use her old car anymore.

Pick-a-Number-Nice change of mind by Julie.  I figured the first number was a 5.

SC (Presentation)-I'm starting to notice a pattern here: 1 good showcase and 1 bad showcase.  The 1st SC was really great, and I thought it was a nice treat for regular people to model the prizes.  Didn't realize it was the Contestants Not Appearing on Stage, so that made it cooler.  The second showcase was bad, though.  Drew, WHY did you have to butcher the Every Trip in the House showcase??  Chicago, known for wind?? :headbang:  It looked horrible with the green screens, too.  And that house looked weird.

SC (Reveal)-NO. FREAKIN. WAY.  An exacta!  I guess we can finally put to rest what would happen if someone EXACTAs.  But man, that reveal was the worst reveal EVER.  Drew showed absolutely no enthusiasm (in fact, he showed more for Sharon's reveal), and killed a ton of excitement.  He can be ecstatic in a pricing game win, yet we have the most historic moment happen, and he shows no enthusiasm whatsoever.  UGH.

And I feel that Ted did absolutely nothing wrong with helping Teddy out.  So he helped someone out?  That was Teddy's decision if he wanted to listen to him or not.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline ThereseW

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2008, 12:30:44 AM »
I don't have too many bones to pick with the show this year except on how they are using Rich, however, Drew's showcase reveal really ticked me off.

I realized that Drew is not as good as he was last year (but I have still enjoyed him), but I had no idea how bad he has gotten until this show.  I feel I was cheated out of my full hour of enjoyment.  I give Drew 60 minutes of my life for him to give me enjoyment and then BOOM! he ruins this most exciting bid because he thinks the contestant might have cheated.

Drew has got to get better...he has had 15 months of on-air training and he should know how to do a reveal---even if his heart is not in it!

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »
I have been talking with a good friend of mine from the game show community...I will leave his name out of it for now, but suffice it to say, he compared this to the coughing incident on the UK Millionaire. Do the two actually have similarities? Do we know if the Ted and Terry knew each other from the line, or if Terry got prior word of Ted's knowledge of prices and specifically seeked out his help? If so, I wouldn't call fowl, but I'd at least compare him to Michael Larsen in the sense that he beat the show at its own game. (Surprisingly, another CBS game show beaten out by technology.) But, I can see how someone, who is not the biggest fan of the show, but is more of a Drew Carey fan, could see the similarities.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »

It wasn't anger -- it's just, we'd already told you we already knew more about this, and you were just kind of digging yourself into a hole by continuing to post without reading about it.

Yeah... I'm on break from college now and the last thing I want to do is read a bunch of stuff lol.

But yeah wish someone would have told me sooner lol.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »
I'm not aware of any such lecture having been given to Ted.

Oh I'm not saying there was, but I can see why a lot of people are bashing him, here, on Buzzerblog, and on the Invision forums.
I'm a gif.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:51 AM »
He didn't do anything wrong, but I'm going to have to go with the explanation Roger gave to Voltaire last season... it provides the contestant with an unfair advantage and it might raise suspicions amongst the viewing public

If you all are going to continue to associate Voltron with Ted, you are going to have to get your stories straight.

Ted helped one person he was next to.  He was never asked by the production staff NOT to help.  He got that message loud and clear when he was moved for show #2. 

Voltron the day in question walked up and down the campout line, which ended up being about 50 people and flat out told them, "Look to me, I know the prices and I will get you the win".  He repeated these statements once on the benches in full view and earshot of the page staff.  The next day he was pulled out of the bench line and specifically TOLD what you stated above.  He chose to ignore that request and flagrantly disobeyed the instructions he was given.

When I was "called out" and was asked not to help, I did as asked.  Upon every return, I asked non-chalantly "is the show in budget"?  And then and only then would I turn it on.

And all of this really doesn't matter anyway.  Who CARES about whether Terry got lucky that day because he found Ted sitting next to him.  Who cares if it took 15 or 150 minutes for the PPD to resovle the matter.  Get the reveal done.  Do it correctly.  Then after the show is taped do your thing and THEN if you think something was truly amiss, do the end of show "A contestant was found to be a cheating fool and his prizes now belong to us once again".

Please please stop comparing Ted to Voltron.  They are two totally separate and independent situations that have no basis for comparison.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:45:36 AM by FPGWillyT »

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
I saw the You Tube Exacto Showcase,

The WOST, I mean the WORST display of professionalism and lack of enthusiasm by Drew that I have ever seen!  I am hurt and really outraged by Drew's antics here and I think that some reprimand by a higher up to him is in order.  What Drew did was absolutely appalling.  There are no other words to describe it.  He just took a dump, (and I am using PC language here) on what should have been the greatest moment ever seen in the show's history.  If Drew is not reprimanded for his antics here, there should at least be a hearing to determine what was going through his mind to be so nonchalant.  His antics today were just disgusting in how he treated that Showcase.  I don't know what else to say.  I am hurt and angry now that I have seen the evidence first hand.

I really feel sorry for Bob and Roger if they had to see Drew's conduct.  This was revolting to our once great show!

Joe

Offline macnbc

• Outside in Line
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2008, 12:43:32 AM »
Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I think the Michael Larsen analogy is pretty accurate here.

Ted didn't break any rules, but whether he did anything wrong is open to debate. The point is that from here on, people are going to be wondering whenever a contestant scores a big win whether they did it by themselves from guessing or if they relied on help from someone who memorized everything and anything.

I've been a lifelong TPiR fan, but I don't know if I'll be watching the show much any more. This whole flap has taken the fun out of watching it for me, and while Drew's reveal was pretty bad, that had far less to do with my dissatisfaction than Ted's involvement.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:45:03 AM by macnbc »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »
I honestly would love to know Bob's reaction to this...

Reading more up on this, this is the first I've heard of people from here getting banned from coming to see the show. I honestly never known that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:52:12 AM by Bgamer90 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2008, 12:49:54 AM »
Please please stop comparing Ted to Voltron.  They are two totally separate and independent situations that have no basis for comparison.

Did we just totally miss the preface about how Ted might have not been bragging to people in line as Voltaire did?

It's the same concept - fan knows the prices to just about everything featured on the show, provides contestant with exact bids, gives contestant an advantage other contestants might not have. It's a valid comparison, though it's not on the same scale as Voltaire's bragging to everybody in line within an earshot of the pages & staff.
I'm a gif.