Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 242063 times)

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »
I have not heard anything from anybody related to the show.  Nobody asked me any questions after the taping.  When I was interviewed for the second show, Stan just asked me what I do for fun.  I think he started interviews before the showcase reveal on the first taping, so he may not have known anything at that point.  The only thing that happened was that I was reassigned to a different seat for the second taping.  From my original seat (back row of the center section of the audience on the stage left side), I was moved to the stage right section of the audience.  It was a while before I realized the move was to keep me from being able to see the contestants during the showcase. 

Also, as I mentioned (I think in chat), I tried to rescind my bid and get Terry to bid $23,500, however, it was too late.  Even at that point, I kind of knew an exact bid with that showcase price was going to raise eyebrows.  Funny thing is that had I acted more quickly, this whole thing would have been just another double showcase win and nobody would be talking about it.  Hindsight, you know...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
I've been a lifelong TPiR fan, but I don't know if I'll be watching the show much any more. This whole flap has taken the fun out of watching it for me, and while Drew's reveal was pretty bad, that had far less to do with my dissatisfaction than Ted's involvement.

Oh, get over it.  There is no freakin' "flap."  The only controversy was created by a few people here who, for some bizarre reason, cannot seem to accept that nothing about this was wrong.

(And yes, I know that was rude.  I don't care.)

Ditto here. Ted didn't cheat. The contestant didn't cheat. The contestant, did, however, have an unfair advantage over his opponent.

An opponent who'd have have exactly the same advantage if she hadn't passed the first showcase.

I've read everything in this thread and understand what happened was perfectly fine, but I've read three posts on cbs.com where they are questioning the integrity like my buddies and one on Buzzerblog who was overly rude but made a good point.  What if the people who watch don't ever hear about Ted and they just continue to think mistakely that the show was rigged and people start tuning off the show.

Then it's their own fault they don't trust the show anymore.  Anyone who actually bothers to think about this for a second would realize CBS would never have let this air if there was any question as to its legitimacy.

Hey, have you guys read the two articles about this fiasco over at Buzzerblog ? If not, I think you all should, because their contributors make some great points about all this, and they are exactly right. They've basically written everything I've ever wanted to say about something like this.

With all due respect, both of those articles seemed to me like incoherent babbling which were written for the sake of yelling at people.  (I do agree with the first one -- but not for the reasons listed in it.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »
Of course, there's a possibility that we're all overlooking:

Ted's contribution notwithstanding, it's entirely possible that the contestant is one of those who watches the show regularly and carefully enough to make reliable mental notes of prizes and prices. ...

The mind boggles at that statement, sir.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:22:49 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
Something I was thinking about a lunch today when I heard the "powerball calulator" commercial on the radio.

Now the odds of hitting the Lottery are 1 : Many Many Many Millions

Assuming your SC doesn't have a Sportscar or a Luxury car, I think it is safe to say the average SC has a range of about $10000 (probably about 15,000 - 25,000).   So based on that range, getting a SC Exacta is what about 1:10,000.  Probably a bit less if you have any clue on prices where you can narrow the range.    

There has been 6,000+ shows now, 2 SC"s per show.  So there have been more than 12,000 SC bids.  

Just by random guess hitting it would be possible.  In fact, it was probably due to happen.

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
Let me take a 12-gauge and blow that one into smithereenies.

Most people bid in round thousand dollar numbers. Occasionally, people get into the hundreds. Extremely rarely, you'll find somebody that goes to the last digit, and that's usually made to make a statement like one's zip code.

Combine that with the fact that over 99.9% of showcases have not ended in 000 prices, and your statistical analysis based on random numbers matching up has been destroyed.

Offline Johnny

• In the Audience
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
Okay here's my take on the whole fiasco. Terry didn't cheat, Ted didn't cheat. CBS frigged up. How many game shows do YOU know (BESIDES TPiR) that allow audience participation in bonus rounds let alone the main game. How about...zero? So why is TPiR any different? the Clock game rule reallyt should be in effect for the whole show. Sure in gambling situations, the audience can tell you to stop or go, but they have no control over the ultoimate conclusion. Good job Terry and Teddy, and a poor job by CBS, imo..the play along factor is for the viewers at home, NOT the studio audience. Even with Ten Chances, Bob even asked the audirnce for help. And frankly, it isn't the audience's job to get the price right, it's the contestant's. So I will give Drew a slight pass

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
That's not what the poster said...

Then if you can tell me what "aspies" are other than a typo, get back to me.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
"Aspies" is a derogatory term for people with Asperger's Syndrome. It is not a compliment.

Let me take a 12-gauge and blow that one into smithereenies.

Most people bid in round thousand dollar numbers. Occasionally, people get into the hundreds. ...

If you read my later post, you would see that I acknowledged that Terry clearly didn't make his bid based on pricing expertise. I said that it was more likely that he blurted out a random number between 1 and 25,000, and happened to be right, than that he was the best Showcase player in 36 years.

MOD NOTE: Consecutive posts merged and quoting truncated to two lines. - JC
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:26:00 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2008, 10:21:27 PM »
John (sorry for the consecutive posts, but I don't know how to draw in quotes from different posts, mods, and both of these needed responding to...)

I've never found a way, either, John -- I just write my replies in a separate window and do a lot of copy/pasting!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline EaglesWings2008

• In the Audience
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »
Wonder what would have happen of they were both on the nose??????

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »
Then both contestants would win both showcases.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline barkerbox

• In the Audience
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
How do you do it Ted?  Do you just have an amazing memory in general or do you have to cram to remember these numbers?  How many prices do you figure you can memorize at any one time?

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
Did anyone speak to Terry about all of this?  AFAIK, we have two innocents who were given a bad rap by a lot of the media.

Joe

Offline xSmootx

• Outside in Line
    • My website about an online RPG
« Reply #193 on: December 18, 2008, 05:24:28 AM »
I haven't sat down and watched price is right in a couple of years cause of Drew Carey, after I stumbled upon some videos on YouTube and saw the on the nose showcase, Drew gave another reason for me to not watch.

With that aside, I think it's remarkable that someone got it on the nose even with someone's help and I think that Ted is the Price is Right version of Michael Larson.
newbielink:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/xSmootx/Photoshop%20Sigs%20Nonanimated/DrewCarey.gif [nonactive]

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2008, 07:33:32 AM »
I've never found a way, either, John -- I just write my replies in a separate window and do a lot of copy/pasting!
I do know how...I'll put a small note down in the Tech Support forum.

Here it is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:43:42 AM by tpirfan28 »
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP