Author Topic: CBS On The Air segment on Game Shows  (Read 2269 times)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
CBS On The Air segment on Game Shows
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
This is a segment from the last "CBS On The Air", in which Art Linkletter does a mini-tribute to game shows that aired on CBS and in the process appears on the Match Game and Price is Right sets. But the reason I posted this is because at 6:00 there's a clip montage of Bob hosting the nighttime show!

...Yes, I said nighttime.

Okay, now for speculation as to date -
* This was filmed before Fall 1978, as the Match Game set is the original.

* The Dice Game board is sitting near the Turntable for some reason. The "price" is $5,279,  and I thought this meant it was from May 2, 1979 (5/2/79) but the above detail confirms this isn't the case.

* Since the board is using "7" and "9" it might be before they changed the rule to force the numbers as only 1-6 (which happened by June 29, 1977).

So I would wager that this is from Spring/Summer 1977, shortly after Dennis James taped his last episode but after Bob taped a few nighttime shows (which proves that the opening "sparkles" present on #300N were introduced when Bob took over).

Finally, for the curious, the 5/2/79 show was #3273D :-D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:31:47 PM by WarioBarker »
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: CBS On The Air segment on Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »
I also noticed that there are no Pricedown dollar signs on the Big Wheel's walls, the spinning part of the Turntable is stopped at its halfway point, and the Showcase podiums have already been set up. The scoreboard on the Wheel is flashing "40", and the three "bids" on the One Bid displays are "650", "435" and "298" with the camera stopping short of the fourth display.

I would say that the original airdate occurred sometime in late 1977/early 1978, as the two cars shown (a Buick Electra 225 from the Five Price Tags clip and a Chevrolet Caprice Classic) were obviously '78 models. They didn't add the dollar signs to the walls of the Wheel until March '79.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
I also noticed that there are no Pricedown dollar signs on the Wheel's walls, the spinning part of the Turntable is stopped at its halfway point, and the Showcase podiums have already been set up. The scoreboard on the Wheel is flashing "40" and the three "bids" on the One Bid displays are "650", "435", and "298" with the camera stopping short of the fourth display.

I would say the original airdate occurred sometime in late 1977/early 1978 as the two cars shown (a Buick Electra 225 from the Five Price Tags clip and a Chevrolet Caprice Classic) were obviously '78 models.

Looking in the Timeline, by December 14, 1977 (2603D) the Dice Game board got a gray cover for its opening and the walls of the Big Wheel became the red seen there. Both of these have happened by the point this segment was taped.

Also, the yellow tiles were removed from in front of the One-Bid displays by June 5, 1978 (2581D) - at the time of this segment they were still present.

So late 1977/early 1978 makes perfect sense. The videos state that they aired in 1978 as CBS' 50th Anniversary, but I can't find specific airdates.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline tpir72

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
Looking in the Timeline, by December 14, 1977 (2603D) the Dice Game board got a gray cover for its opening and the walls of the Big Wheel became the red seen there. Both of these have happened by the point this segment was taped.

Also, the yellow tiles were removed from in front of the One-Bid displays by June 5, 1978 (2581D) - at the time of this segment they were still present.

So late 1977/early 1978 makes perfect sense. The videos state that they aired in 1978 as CBS' 50th Anniversary, but I can't find specific airdates.

The exact airdates are March 26-April 1, 1978.  It was a 7 day miniseries.  The info. can be found here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334836/

Imad