Author Topic: Barker to promote book on TPIR?  (Read 37544 times)

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Barker to promote book on TPIR?
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
In all seriousness, that is the last thing I think the production staff and possibly CBS wants to happen, to have Bob come in and host and remind viewers that nobody can host the show better than him.

Exactly. Just look back to Let's Make a Deal 2003. Billy Bush was...OK...but, when Monty Hall came in and did a deal, he put Billy Bush to shame. They actually cut to a shot of Bush sitting on one of the steps with his head in his hands, IIRC, looking like he knew his reign on this show was over and that he was gonna go back to Access Hollywood the next day.

Offline X54321

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
You can't be serious.  As far as I know, those two aren't on speaking terms with him and I don't think they want to go back to the studio anyways after what they went through.  Heck, they are probably not even welcome at the studio anymore.  Bob likely isn't on speaking terms with a lot of the former models and he doesn't want to be confronted with his past.  As if appearing on Drew's show isn't controversial enough, having former models that aren't on good terms with him would only add fuel to the fire.  Furthermore, he's coming to promote his book, which is about him and him alone.

I was not being sarcastic and no one not even bob can escape his/er past.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:15:40 PM by X54321 »
Grocery Game fan 125356921

Offline PlinkoChip

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
I seriously doubt Bob would host, but if the planets align, it'd be cool to see him with Gas Money.
Insert signature here.

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »
Unlike Drew, Bob would know exactly how to play Gas Money.   

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »

Drew knows how to play Gas Money perfectly fine, thank you very much. Actually, Bob probably doesn't.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »

Yeah, I haven't seen Drew screw up Gas Money... And Bob probably hasn't watched the show enough to see Gas Money.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen Drew screw up Gas Money... And Bob probably hasn't watched the show enough to see Gas Money.

He could certainly learn it real quick.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »

It'd help if they'd play it once in a while!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
It'd help if they'd play it once in a while!

Well, there are a few possible reasons we don't see it too often (last played Jan. 12th):
1. As I've mentioned before, it's a big prize game. A contestant can easily win more than the value of an average showcase in a matter of minutes - a mid-level car ($20-$30K) plus $10,000. You can easily walk away with $40,000 worth of prizes in one playing.
2. The powers that be want all of Roger's influence completely removed from the show. It's possible, but probable? Eh...
3. They've already decided to retire it for reasons unknown.

I'm willing to bet it's #1. I'm going to bed, it's been a long day.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »

What I meant by that statement is that Bob would know how to build excitement up for the game, during both the gameplay and the resolution. 

When Drew plays the game, he seems like he just goes thru the motions.  And he plays it the same way each time.

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about Bob coming on the show. I'd love to see Bob again, but I can't help but think that when he appears, there will be a sense of being reminded of what there used to be and what we're not getting anymore. I'm sure they won't ask Bob to host any of the games, as that would make it too evident which areas Drew still needs work in.

The other question is the length of the show. It seems like they'd want to spend at least a full minute with Bob, especially since the ovation will last at least 30 seconds, but if the show already feels rushed lately, how are they going to fit in this extra time with Bob? Play Money Game, Double Prices, Switch, Pick-a-Number, 1 Right Price, and then Double Prices again? Because if they race through Bob's appearance, it feels disrespectful to him, to just have him come in and out to hawk his book.

Although overall, I feel the same way as those who are surprised that Bob's making a live appearance at all. Maybe he really wants to sell his book, but I'd think he would be very displeased with some of the events that have recently happened.

Offline gr8daynegb

• In the Audience
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:42 AM »

The other question is the length of the show. It seems like they'd want to spend at least a full minute with Bob, especially since the ovation will last at least 30 seconds, but if the show already feels rushed lately, how are they going to fit in this extra time with Bob? Play Money Game, Double Prices, Switch, Pick-a-Number, 1 Right Price, and then Double Prices again? Because if they race through Bob's appearance, it feels disrespectful to him, to just have him come in and out to hawk his book.

If and when Bob shows you know they are going to but going nuts for more than 30 seconds.  Just wonder how much they'll have to edit here.  If Bob did play host on any of the games I'd hope it would be one for where there were classic Barkerisms, like the El Cheapo in money game, Range Game "we can't start it again for 37 hours", Hole in one(Don't we wanna see Bob redeem his last official putt?)

Offline whewfan

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:26 AM »
I would predict that when Bob appears, it'll likely be during the showcase showdown. If Drew is going to let Bob have the reins, the Showcase Showdown is a good spot, as Bob is unlikely to steal Drew's thunder, as IMO they both handle the Showcase Showdown in the same manner.

Offline X54321

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 06:03:45 AM »
If and when Bob shows you know they are going to but going nuts for more than 30 seconds.  Just wonder how much they'll have to edit here.  If Bob did play host on any of the games I'd hope it would be one for where there were classic Barkerisms, like the El Cheapo in money game, Range Game "we can't start it again for 37 hours", Hole in one(Don't we wanna see Bob redeem his last official putt?)

Don't forget about the old Front in Back trick
Grocery Game fan 125356921

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
Or maybe play It's in the Bag--that way, Drew realizes the name of the game is It's in the Bag and not In the Bag.