Author Topic: One year anniversary  (Read 2615 times)

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
One year anniversary
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
This is the one year Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the costliest and deadliest hurricane to hit New Orleans.  To date, only half of the residents returned and the recovery efforts will take years, even decades.

Speaking of the tropics, we have Tropical Storm Ernesto which slamed into Cuba, and will hit Florida late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: One year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
Shellgame,u beat me to it.  I was just going to start a topic about it.  It is just horrendous about what happened to New Orleans one year ago today and the effect it had on everyone from lives lost to outrageous gas prices. God bless the city of New Orleans and everyone who lost property and loved ones.  Katrina will never be forgotten.

Offline Jordan7

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:57:28 PM »
I can't believe that it has been one year already. It seems like just yesterday when the storm hit. I was in Delaware at that time, and I remember waking up and turning on the news in the morning. This storm will never be forgotten.

Last season was just shocking overall. 28 named storms, and 15 of them became hurricanes. A record-tying five reached category 4 status (Dennis, Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma), and a record four reached category 5 status (Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma). There's more on this at Wikipedia, but it's just jaw-dropping. Things like Zeta forming December 30, and having to use the greek alphabet.

Also, the current season status is bizarre this season. It's weird how we're only on "E", and the pacific is already on "J". I think forecasters believe that the stronger storms will come for us in September and October.

Anyway, my prayers are with everyone in New Orleans, and god bless.

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
Yep, It was the season we will never forget for decades.  Arlene showed up on June 8th and Zeta was dead on Janurary 6.  Also of note, this was the first time in 72 years the hurricane center was forced to do greek alphabet, and it was the first time in 51 years a storm carried over into the next year. Unbelievable!