Author Topic: TPiR's Season 35 Kickoff Contest -- Round Three  (Read 11744 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR's Season 35 Kickoff Contest -- Round Three
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »
I just have to go on record for thanking marc for a serious kick-butt contest.  These pictures have been real tests, and it has been a ball racking my brain to figure them out.

And, these posts seem to be a good sign, so nice job to the gang of 6 who have made it through...

...and if I am wrong about this picture, then I still had a blast here.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
The lights look weak.  And rather strange... seems like lights for games like Three Strikes and Two for the Price of One would be more likely directly behind the number panels, instead of off to the side like that.  Seems like it could be part of It's in the Bag, though.  Sepcifically, inside one of the bags.  I mean, the bags are obviously lit on the inside, and the lights seem to come from the sides, so yeah.

It's in the Bag's bags is my guess.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:19 PM »
Well, I also guessed the inside of a 3 strikes box.  I'd say that's looking even better.  There's also a pic in the Golden Gallery that shows the back of the game with hinges in the same area as the hinges in the photo.

Also, re: 2 for 1, I thought it looked too big to be one of them...although it's kind of hard to tell the size.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
Well, I feel better after reading jnasty's post.  I was up until 200am this morning, and spent most of this evening scouring the galleries for any ideas.  I submitted my answer at 9:55pm tonight!

I was SO CLOSE to saying that it was the box for the price numbers in Bonkers.  Then I found a picture in the galleries that proved me wrong, so back to the drawing board. My final guess was that it was the back view of one of the number boxes from 3 Strikes, as well.  

I was trying to be logical about it.  The two lights inside the box would provide the backlight for the number.  There appears to be a white protective cover over the "front" of the box, and two hinges on the right that make it possible to easily change the numbers, according to the price of the car.   The cover appears to be well-worn, and the lights are an older technology, which is consistent with the fact that 3 Strikes has been around for a long time.

With all that logic and thought, I'm probably wrong!!  But seeing as how there are several of us who guessed 3 Strikes, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances!!

Kudos, Marc!  Nice brain-scrambler!
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 10:58:02 PM »
I was going to say a Bonkers box as well, but those boxes look to be perfectly square boxes and I knew that this pic was not a perfect square box so it ruled that out for me.  Another one I thought of was The Race Game prop that tells how many prizes you have right.  It had to be some box that was somewhat deep, thats why I didn't pick 2 for 1.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 11:10:16 PM »
In one of the galleries, there is a picture of John peeking through a hole where the Bonkers number should be.  That ruled out Bonkers for me.  I also thought Race Game, but the box in the picture didn't seem large enough.  I also thought seriously that it might be Pathfinder or even the "Slate" board.

You know, now that I look at it, what I thought was the front of the box I think is the back!  Now it looks like the picture was taken from the front of the box, not the back like I thought.  Great.  If it IS 3 Strikes, I hope Marc isn't TOO strict!

You know Marc's reading these and laughing his head off!  The picture is really of The Dob's mini-refrigerator under his desk!!

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 11:17:08 PM »
Yeah I figure there is just no number put on the front, making it open, plus it looks like the lights are pointed right towards the photographer, so i'd definately say its the front.. Pathfinder was another one I had considered also. Any game that had big boxes.. lol.

I feel pretty optimistic, but Marc sure is keeping us in suspence..  :lol:

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 11:26:02 PM »
Sheesh! I csn't figure that out. I'm kind of glad I'm out. Otherwise, I'd be racking my brain, and, assuming that's right, would never have gotten it.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 11:38:38 PM »
Oops!  An embarrassing miscalculation on my part.  We have 7 out of 9 entries submitted as correct, not 6 out of 9.  A misread on my part, and I'm sorry.

With that said, you guys are too good...

Congratulations go out to:  Ton80, PimpinJC, sideshowPA, Denials, jaydlewis, jnasty, and BuddyTom.

Axl & gauchodirk...lots of props for making it this far...thanks for playing and best of luck in next year's contest!

For the rest of you, the final Round Four email will be out in moments.  Good luck, and may the Plinko Chip be with you!

Marc

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 12:27:28 AM »
For anybody wondering what I guessed, I spent all day looking at pictures, had no idea, and said that it was the back of Side By Side, and the two lights lit up the two displays.  Horrible guess in retrospect, but even though I saw the hinges, I never thought that it would be the front of 3 Strikes, though I had thought about it being the back.  Oh well.  Good luck to all who are still in it.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 03:35:08 AM »
For me, it was between Three Strikes and 2 for the Price of 1, and I obviously made the wrong choice.   :-(   The hinged metal borders threw me.

Offline AndyL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Andy's MovieZone
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »
And now I'm kicking myself for getting eliminated in Round 2-I had guessed a Lucky 7 sliding door, no points for being right about the prop being from a car game.  I'd have had this one-I know it's tough to prove after the fact, but I did look at the photo before reading the responses.  Still, though, this contest was a lot of fun. Thanks, Marc and John!
"Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Don't you step on its skin
  Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Womble up de rubbish and put it in de bin!"

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 12:02:56 PM »
Well, I missed the Round 4 challenge badly!  At least I can still look at the picture of the script!   :-(

Hey, Marc!! What do I get for finishing last??

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »
This is where I kick yourself for not going with my first instinct.  Mr original guess was 57300, which would have been off by 109.  Instead, I wussed out when I sent the e-mail and changed my guess a bit.  We'll see what happens.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
Can I ask what the Round Four question was?