Author Topic: The Price is Right, Production #193-N Recap  (Read 19367 times)

Offline whirlwood74

• In Contestant's Row
The Price is Right, Production #193-N Recap
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »
Tape Date: March 1, 1977
Air Date: TBA (Possibly late May 1977)

Host: Dennis James
Announcer: Johnny Olson
Models: Janice, Dian, and Holly
Set: The Rainbow Colored Set

Music:  Walking (1976 version, with bells)
Tagline:  "A fortune in fabulous prizes may go to these people tonight...if they know when...The Price is Right!"

Karen Gross...Come on Down!
Catherine McGee...Come on Down!
Mary Moss...Come on Down!
and Pamela Powell...Come on Down!

1st IUFB:   A Pair of Canoes! (Behind Door #2...Dian in left canoe...Holly in right) (Playing Cue 41)

Two Grumman 17 ft. Canoes...With oars & car top rack...
For whitewater thrills or just cruising the lakes...Fun for the whole family...Furnished by Grumman Boats

Karen (First)   Catherine    Mary     Pamela (Last)
$325                   $600             * $700   $326

ARP:  $968

Mary & Dennis approach the Giant Price Tag for...
A NEW CAR!!! (Edited Family Feud theme, Camera panned behind the two, facing Door #3)

A Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau Coupe...Options include...Body side moldings...Door-edge guards...Twin remote sport mirrors...
Steel-belted radial white-striped tires...AM/FM Stereo radio...Rubber bumper strips & bumper guards

And if you win this car, you'll also receive...
33 quarts of Castrol GTX motor oil...and a car care assortment featuring Turtle Wax

Mary plays Money Game, with these 9 pairs of numbers:

29    53    32
70    97    58
84    61    45

Mary picks:
53 ($)...
61 (front 1/2)...
63 (I don't see a 63!)...
32 ($)......(Dennis reminds Mary that daytime show is an hour)
97 ($)...
45 ($)...
Mary wins $227

LOSS

Dennis pulls...
84 ($)...
61 (Put that back, Dennis!)...
70 ($)...
29 (back 1/2)

ARP:  $6129

(Dennis plugs 3rd edition Price is Right game for all contestants)

Barry Eaton...Come on Down!

IUFB #2:  It's a set of luggage! (Inside Clamshell...Janice modeling) (Playing 'Brioche' organ segment)
The Ventura collection...With digital locks and scrubbable, dura-vinyl coverings

Karen   Catherine (Last)   Barry (First)   Pamela
$325      * $461                      $450                  $460

ARP:  $488

Catherine & Dennis head to the turntable to play Grocery Game with...
Nibs Chewy Candy
Blammo Sugarless Bubble Gum
Pine-Sol Disinfectant
Old El Paso Refried Beans
Creamette Macaroni

For...A new living room!  (Behind Door #2...Modeled by Holly) (Big Banana cue)
"Roommates" Collection from Broyhill...Crafted from chrome/melamine laminates & Dapple Down design

With 50 sq. yds. of Aldon Carpet Connisseur broadloom carpeting...Protected from soiling...
Plus, a Blue Lustre Shampooer & Shampoo...worth $2579

Catherine shops for...
1)   4 Pine-Sols         @ $0.84 each x 4 = Subtotal of $3.36...$3.64 away from $7
2)   5 Refried Beans @ $0.39 each x 5 = $1.95...Subtotal of $5.31...$1.69 away from $7
3)   3 Creamettes     @ $0.23 each x 3 = $0.69...Subtotal of $6.00...$1.00 away from $7
4)   1 Blammo          @ $0.59 each x 1 = $0.59...Subtotal of $6.59...$0.41 away from $7
5)   1 Nibs                  @ $0.15 each x 1 = $0.15...Subtotal of $6.74  PAINFUL LOSS

If Catherine had just bought one more Nibs candy...

Stella Briannas...Come on Down!

IUFB #3:  It's a sofa bed! (Behind Door #2...Dian lying on top) (Playing Cue 85)
The Bristol House sofa...Converts from sofa to super Queen-size sleeper with crushed comfort...Furnished by Bristol House.

Karen (Last)   Stella (First)   Barry   Pamela
$901                  $900                 $750      $751  ALL OVERBID
$700                  * $500               $495      $650

ARP:  $599

Stella & Dennis head back to the turntable to play Clock Game for...
A Projection TV and a Range/Microwave Combination!

First, Litton introduces combination microwave cooking...A better way to cook...The Litton Model 650...
Lets you cook conventional, microwave, or a combination of both...Furnished by Litton.

And second...a Projection TV...A giant projection television set...With new lifetime screen...Five times the size of a 25-inch set...
Self-contained in a butcher-block cabinet...Furnished by Madman Electronics.

First, the range...ARP $959...Stella bids frantically...
600, '7', '8', '9', '10', 1099, 899, 950, 975, -76, -74, -73, -2, -1, 800, 885, 886, -87, -88, -89, 900, 967, -8, -9, '10'... WIPEOUT

The TV's price will never be known...

Showcase Time!
Top Winner:  Mary, with $1195
Runner-Up:  Stella, with $599

Showcase #1 is a trip down Main Street (Darkened set, with Doors #2 & #3 opening) (Big Banana cue, again)

The Music Shop features...a Hammond 9700 Spinet Organ (Janice)
The Chair Shop features...a Pair of La-Z-Boy Recliners (Janice)
The Furniture Shop features...a Welsh Dresser from 'Arts of Spain' (Dian)
The Travel Agency features...a trip for two to Paris...round-trip jet coach on Air Canada...accommodations by PLM Hotel Saint Jacques (Dian)
Finally...a Chevy Camaro Type LT Coupe...options include body-side molding, door-edge guards, front & rear spoilers, custom-size wheels,
steel-belted radial white-striped tires, bumper guards, style trim group (Holly)

Mary bids $7500

Showcase #2 begins with (Starcrossed cue)...

A trip to Miami...Flying for two round-trip jet coach to...Diplomat Resort & Country Club, one week (Holly)
A Caribbean Cruise aboard...Chandris Cruises S.S. Britanis, Greek Registry (Dian)
A Yashica 20XL low-light sound movie camera (Janice)
$1000 in Republic Travelers Checks (Dian)
An exquisite beaver fur coat from the DiFino Custom Collection of Zinman Furs (Holly)
Finally...a new Horizon bow rider ski boat from Holmes Fiberglass Boat Co...Includes Trail-Rite trailer (Janice)

Stella bids $10,000...ARP is $15,960...Difference of $5960
Mary bids $7,500...ARP is $10,612...Difference of $3112...Mary wins $11,807

Dennis James Wardrobe by Botany '500'

Some prizes won on TPiR are delivered by Global Van Lines
Contestants not appearing on stage receive...A selection of Jovan fragrances

Results:  0 for 3
Winnings:  $12,894

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:57:49 AM by whirlwood74 »

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
Re: The Price is Right, Production #193-N Recap
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
Very good recap! Airdate was the week of May 15-21, 1977 (some markets aired it on Saturday, others on Sunday).
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Very good recap! Airdate was the week of May 15-21, 1977 (some markets aired it on Saturday, others on Sunday).

Airdate was whatever day any given station aired it during whatever week any given station happened to receive the episode.  The show was bicycled and could be scheduled any night of the week.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
I realize that, however I was going by information I had projected based on the aspect that a 39-week season was followed by 13 weeks of repeats. I also assumed that the run was aired in production order.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
Not every station even got the shows in the same order, I don't believe.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:14:56 AM »
There IS a reason the slate says "TBA", as in TO BE ANNOUNCED.

There are no consistent airdates on the 70s nighttime show. Period.

For example: Not even the syndicated run of Match Game played the weeks in the order produced.  That's why there's no "here's who we're having next week" stuff on the 5th show of that week.  The weeks were swapped around between stations in a random order.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
First up, I completely understand both of your statements. I apologize for any brashness I may have shown toward either one of you. :-?

Not every station even got the shows in the same order, I don't believe.
There are no consistent airdates on the 70s nighttime show. Period.

Not even the (daily) syndicated run of Match Game played the weeks in the order produced ... The weeks were swapped around between stations in a random order.

1. Does that also hold true for the Tom Kennedy version, then? By 1985, shows were pretty much airing sequentially - such as Jeopardy!

2. GSN has, to the best of my knowledge and barring episodes not cleared by certain celebrities (Jimmie Walker being one of the more prominent), aired the 1975-1982 syndicated runs in production order. I surmise, then, that an "original airdate" can be crafted through the usage of a hypothetical affiliate that did get the runs in their production order.

3. I'm surprised that Match Game PM managed to last until 1981, considering that it was competing with itself as of September 1979...although the daily run was technically an extension of the CBS daytime show and may have been designed to air in daytime.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:57:44 AM by WarioBarker »

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
2. GSN has, to the best of my knowledge and barring episodes not cleared by certain celebrities (Jimmie Walker being one of the more prominent), aired the 1975-1982 syndicated runs in production order. I surmise, then, that an "original airdate" can be crafted through the usage of a hypothetical affiliate that did get the runs in their production order.

3. I'm surprised that Match Game PM managed to last until 1981, considering that it was competing with itself as of September 1979...although the daily run was technically an extension of the CBS daytime show and may have been designed to air in daytime.

Dude.  Drop it.  There are no airdates because the same show played in different markets different weeks.   Different stations had different tapes.  That kept cost down for not having to make so many tapes, which was expensive at the time.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
Dude. Drop it. There are no airdates because the same show played in different markets different weeks.

You got it, Nick.

But back to the recap itself...Dennis was in his element by this point - making reference to the Daytime show being an hour, the whole thing with the "Put that back, Dennis!", just...his whole attitude during the episode. it's just too bad that he was on his way out.

Due to the era's syndication practices, Dennis didn't give a real goodbye as far as I can tell (and before I get yelled at, I bring up the "side-swipe" references on the last show of To Tell The Truth in 1978). Had the network of record not changed to CBS (or changed to ABC) in 1977, I think Dennis would have improved moreso.

I would have LOVED to see him host an hour-long Daytime episode, but the nighttime episodes that circulate - although hardly any winners are present - show that the series was just as fun with Dennis James at the helm.

And J-Shea's audio episodes magnify these aspects even more - a somewhat-restricted imagination runs wild at tall contestants, colorful shirts, a contestant giving "10" in Any Number, Janice and Anitra playing Puppy Pong, the Showcase known as "Jenny The Artist", and so on.

Is it any wonder, then, that I report on newly-discovered footage, collect print advertisements, and smile in delight when something new shows up? Why I clamor for Barker to remove the fur ban, so Dennis can be freed from his undeserved prison sentence (now in its 32nd year)? Why I wanted BCI to put some James episodes on the "Best Of Price" DVD set last year?

...Is it any wonder why I am upset that while his run on The Name's The Same is intact and airs on GSN, his equally-intact run on The Price is Right has been kept locked in a tape-storage vault somewhere and has been reduced to fleeting clips, the six episodes held by collectors, and the audio recordings on J-Shea? The only other show I watch that has had a part of its history reduced to such things is Doctor Who, but that was because the BBC destroyed 108 episodes from its 1960s stories!

......I'm so, so sorry for rambling - I felt like I needed to get that off my chest as to why I care so much about Dennis James' run and how I feel like I do...he gets very little respect outside of the dedicated fanbase. :-(

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »
$11,000+ in winnings is quite a haul for 1976.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
$11,000+ in winnings is quite a haul for 1976.

Tape Date: March 1, 1977.

:-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 04:31:18 PM by WarioBarker »

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
Whoops. I meant to type 1977, but I hit the wrong key by mistake, and it's too late to change it now. Oh well.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
<snip>
Why I clamor for Barker to remove the fur ban, so Dennis can be freed from his undeserved prison sentence (now in its 32nd year)?
<snip>
Is there any reason why the Dennis James episodes are banned from airing other than Barker doesn't want episodes with fur to air?  If that's it, why does that matter? I don't think Barker can control what happens with episodes hosted by another emcee. Something doesn't make sense here (to me)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
I don't think Barker can control what happens with episodes hosted by another emcee. Something doesn't make sense here (to me).

For the record, as Barker was Executive Producer he had right to dictate what aired and what didn't. The nighttime James/Barker episodes had a tendency to offer a fur coat in more than half the episodes recorded, so there you are.

Is there any reason why the Dennis James episodes are banned from airing other than Barker doesn't want episodes with fur to air? If that's it, why does that matter?

GSN's own Laura Chambers once stated on-the-air that since there was such a low number of episodes from the run that could be aired (I think it was < 50), it was best not to air any at all...which of course is just plain idiotic and rather unlike GSN, especially during the Dark Period.

I've always thought that it was actually jealousy on Barker's part - Bob and Dennis acted rather differently, and Dennis was simply a warmer, friendlier emcee than Bob was at the time. Since the nighttime run offered a LOT of fur coats, Barker used that as an excuse and pressured GSN to state the reason I quoted above.

If this is true, then it just proves moreso that Barker's a complete douchebag when not on-camera.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
I'm going to try and get this back on track. Tough luck in the pricing games, there, but Mary made a good bid in the showcase.