Author Topic: Time for GSN to get those re-runs back!  (Read 10327 times)

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
Time for GSN to get those re-runs back!
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »
With Bob retiring, shouldn't Game Show Network work really hard over the next 8 months to get back the rights to re-run classic TPIR episodes?

That's quite a library -- 35 seasons' worth of shows!  And GSN should be running them morning, noon and night.

"Classic TPIR starring Bob Barker!"  Get with it, GSN!

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: Time for GSN to get those re-runs back!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:17:58 AM »
I think I read in an older thread that GSN can only get rights when TPiR stops running altogether.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:24:29 AM »
I want these shows back on. If not GSN, then CBS themselves need to air them. Even if it's once a week, it'll still keep me from suffering from total Bob withdrawals.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »
Most certainly.  Maybe during summer reruns.

Offline Turbo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »
I was under the impression that Fremantle and CBS were afraid that reruns would hurt the ratings of the regular daytime show.  It seems like that would go double with a new host.
PriceFanArmadillo: "When Voltron's in the audience, there are 1,153,908 reasons to listen."

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:58:05 AM »
That's the story I've heard, which is why they won't give GSN the rights to air them. But still, even 1 episode a week on a weekend evening time slot wouldn't hurt. I'd still watch the daytime show regardless.

Offline TVFavorites

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Game Show Favorites
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:16:30 AM »
I think now it would be harder than ever for GSN to get the reruns to classic TPIR.  Just think, if CBS was afraid GSN reruns would hurt first run ratings with Bob, think about how bad they COULD be without Bob being on the show first run.  I really believe we won't see the classic TPIR reruns on GSN until the first run show goes off the air.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:22 AM »
I can't imagine any circumstances under which CBS would allow reruns on GSN immediately after Bob retires.  That would only invite people to make comparisons (most likely negative) between Barker and the new host.

It's kind of the inverse of what NBC did with David Letterman.  During the interim between him and Conan, they ran a bunch of first-season episodes of Late Night, back before the show was really in its groove.  It was almost as if to say, "Don't be upset if the new guy isn't very good... Dave wasn't at first, either!"

Offline Hades1981

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »

TV Favorites wrote:
I think now it would be harder than ever for GSN to get the reruns to classic TPIR.  Just think, if CBS was afraid GSN reruns would hurt first run ratings with Bob, think about how bad they COULD be without Bob being on the show first run.  I really believe we won't see the classic TPIR reruns on GSN until the first run show goes off the air.

Even more reason that CBS should end the show in June when Bob leaves rather than running the risk of having a new host cause a ratings dive.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:33:33 AM »
Do you think CBS might continue running episodes of the show after it officially goes off the air--obviously not in the same time slot, but still sometime earlier in the morning--under a "Classic Price" banner, similar in nature to PBS's continual airings of Mr. Rogers episodes (at least from 1979 on) today?

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »
In some of Tuesday's articles they explain why exactly GSN is not allowed to air the repeats. Of course it's because of the furs that used to be offered. But I think Bob had either signed some sort of contract or threatened them with lawsuits if they showed the episodes. I think that's what some of the articles said.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 10:38:33 PM »
catdogwheel wrote:

In some of Tuesday's articles they explain why exactly GSN is not allowed to air the repeats. Of course it's because of the furs that used to be offered. But I think Bob had either signed some sort of contract or threatened them with lawsuits if they showed the episodes. I think that's what some of the articles said.

I would stake money that you misread that.  The furs are the reason that episodes with furs in them can't be aired.  They haven nothing to do with the rest of the run.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 11:05:33 AM »
This does raise an interesting question... MGP/Fremantle obviously wasn't going to air fur episodes against Bob's will because they didn't want Bob to quit.  Presumably, it was also a condition he put into his contract.  When Bob retires (and Fremantle no longer has a contractual relationship with him), are they still required in some way to abide by his wishes?

Offline TVFavorites

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Game Show Favorites
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »
I think they would still have to abide by his wishes.  Remember that if GSN/Fremantle/etc. refused to honor his wishes not to have fur episodes be shown, then Bob could refuse to clear any of his TPiR appearances to air.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

TV Favorites wrote:
Remember that if GSN/Fremantle/etc. refused to honor his wishes not to have fur episodes be shown, then Bob could refuse to clear any of his TPiR appearances to air.

Not necessarily... it depends on what's in his contract.  That's why I'm asking the question.  :-)