Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/20/2010 Early Show (Season 39 Premiere)  (Read 47354 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 9/20/2010 Early Show (Season 39 Premiere)
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - 9/20/2010 (Early)

Episode #5231K (Season 39 Premiere)
Aired: 9/20/2010 (Early); Tape Date 8/9/2010
Models: Rachel Reynolds, Manuela Arbelaez, Lanisha Cole (Shoes by Carlos)
Announcer: J.D. Roberto
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

First IUFB: iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and MacBook (Apple; 16GB, 32GB, 1-year 2GB/month plan respectively; ARP: $2,776) (Manuela and Lanisha)

NORA MONIQUE BRADLEY REBECCA WINNER
$5500
YIKES!!
$5000 $3501 $2550 REBECCA

Rebecca is playing the brand new pricing game Pay the Rent for $100,000! (Rachel and Lanisha)

Here are the directions. There are six grocery items, but it is not simple pricing order! There are four levels: The ground floor (the mailbox), the first floor (the sofa and the stove), the second floor (the TV and the bathtub), and the attic (the safe). You put one grocery item in each spot, which means one in the mailbox, two in the first floor, two in the second floor, and one in the attic.

The first item goes in the mailbox. You automatically bank $1,000 on the first item.

The items on the first floor, in the sofa and stove, must add up to be more than the item in the mailbox. If right, you win $5,000.

The items on the second floor, in the TV and the bathtub, must add up to be more than the total of the items on the first floor only. If right, you win $10,000.

The item in the safe must be more than the total of the two items on the second floor only. If right, you win $100,000.

You can choose where you want to stop. If you are wrong at any level, you lose everything.

FLOOR ITEM ITEM
ARP
LEVEL
TOTAL
DECISION
ATTIC 9 Lives dry cat food $7.30 $7.30 LOSS
SECOND Pantene 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner $5.99 $11.48 GO ON
Wink Cook-Top Cleaner $5.49
FIRST Red Baron Pizza-by-the-Slice $3.49 $6.47 GO ON
McCormick cinnamon $2.98
GROUND Del Monte corn $1.49 $1.49 GO ON

Second IUFB: Car audio package (Kenwood; 7" DVD touch-screen, 170W amp, built-in Bluetooth; ARP: $1,890) (Lanisha and Manuela)

Nora Monique Bradley ESTHER WINNER
$1500 $1300 $1000 $1749 ESTHER

Esther, whose son stole her old car stereo, is playing Lucky $even for a Toyota Prius II. (Hybrid Synergy Drive, Bluetooth) (Rachel)

CHOICE -- 4 6 8    
ARP 2 4 2 3 --  
LEFT 7 7 3 0   LOSS

ARP: unknown (last number not revealed)

Third IUFB: Price Look of the Week for Fall (jacket, boots, earrings and bag; ARP: $2,467) (Lanisha)

Nora Monique Bradley CHERYL WINNER
$1200 $700 $1 $450 NORA

Nora is playing Push Over for a trip to Paris. (RT coach LA to Paris, 6n w/dinner The Westin Paris, personalized city tour) (Manuela)

DISPLAY 1 3 2 1 8 3 9 5 2          
CHOICE 1 3 2 1 8
ARP $13,218
*WIN*

Easiest. Game. Ever.

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Esther $1,890 75 STAY 75
Rebecca $2,776 5 85 *SHOWCASE*
Nora $15,685 80 75 OVER

Fourth IUFB: Refrigerator/Freezer (20.8 cu. ft., bottom freezer; ARP: $2,499) (Lanisha)

BYRON Monique Bradley Cheryl WINNER
$2400 $1500 $2350 $2401 CHERYL

Cheryl is playing Most Expen$ive.

9-burner steel grill (Manuela) $2,420  
Kawasaki KX100 motorcycle (Rachel) $3,499  
17-jet whirlpool bath tub w/LCD TV (Lanisha) $3,060 LOSS

Total ARP: $8,979

Fifth IUFB: Snowboarding equipment (2 sets each snowboards, skis, boots, bindings; ARP: $3,378) (Rachel)

Byron Monique Bradley AIMEE WINNER
$2600 $3001 $2700 $3000 MONIQUE

Monique is playing for a Ram 1500 SE regular cab (3.7-litre V6 engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, rear sliding window) (Manuela)

54 39 42
60 85 10
23 22 24

Middle number: 6

PICK NUMBER DISPLAY
1 24 $
2 23 FRONT
3 39 $
4 85 $
5 10 BACK
*WIN*

ARP: $23,610
Money won: $148

The First Four Wall of Shame looks serious. A big polished granite wall with the photos of all the First Four failures previous. Being serious is the same whether the notation is good or bad. It's not what Bradley, who has been stuck on the orange podium from the start, wants to take from this experience.

Sixth IUFB: Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (Rock Band and Guitar Hero sets, total 12 games; ARP: $2,082) (model)

Byron TERESA Bradley Aimee WINNER
$1201 $1100 $1500 $1200 BRADLEY

Bradley escapes! He is playing Squeeze Play for a West Wight Potter 15' sailboat (Select Package, screen-opening ports) (Rachel)

DISPLAY 9 7 4 7 0
CHOICE
(removed 1st 7)
$ 9 4 7 0
ARP LOSS $9,770

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Bradley $2,082 45 85 OVER
Cheryl $2,499 60 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Monique $27,136 50 85 OVER

SHOWCASE ROUND
In the introductory set of Showcases for the 39th season, Rebecca has the honor...

SC1 - CHERYL PRIZES NEVER BEFORE SEEN ON TPiR (
Las Vegas (RT coach LA to Las Vegas, 3n Delta Vacations, Dinner in the Sky) (Rachel)
Ford Mustang pool table (made from 1965 Ford Mustang body, slate surface, working lights, accessory kit) (Manuela)
2011 Ford Mustang V6 coupe (exterior sports appearance package, 3.7-litre engine, security package) (Lanisha)
BID: $36,000
ARP: $40,923
DIFF: $4,923
*WIN* $43,422
SC2 - REBECCA TRULY AMAZING PRIZES
Custom Entertainment Wall (Architectural Interiors; built-in mini-fridge, wine rack, dry bar, microwave; two built-in 32" LCD HDTVs, built-in 46" 3D LCD HDTV on center door w/glasses, 3D Blu-ray entertainment center, two leather theater chairs) (Manuela)
2011 Porsche Boxster (2.9-litre engine, manual transmission, PCM system w/navigation, 18" wheels) (Rachel)
BID: $50,000
ARP: $79,663
DIFF: $29,663
LOSS $2,776

Show Results: 2 out of 6
Total Winnings: $92,991

THIS RECAP IS THE PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

YES! IT WORKS!!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:23:12 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/20/2010 Early Show (Season 39 Premiere)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
That was probably the easiest Push Over setup in the game's history. And nice win in Money Game, too.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »
Wasn't a bad show, overall. As a season premiere, a tad mild. The second aired show today was actually much more exciting, I thought.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
It seems to me like pay the rent is doomed to be lost many times. The average contestant will hear Drew read the rules and think they should go from Least Expensive --> Most Expensive like Rebecca did exactly. Once you put the least expensive in the mailbox, there is no mathematical way of winning the $100k. The producers sure have an evil big game on their hands lol :)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Wolfman2000

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
CBS doesn't seem to have the episode up yet (and their entry page for TPIR wants me to have Flash 9 when I already have Flash 10...um, what?), so I can't watch yet. I wonder who the announcer is at least.

If she wanted to win this game...all she had to do was switch the Pantene with the corn, and Greco would have been very upset.  :P

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I thought she'd won the $100,000 in Pay The Rent.  I was pretty sure that the strategy was to place the items in the house in order from least expensive to most expensive, just as Rebecca did.  Now I see that's not the way the game works.  She should've placed the corn on the second floor and the shampoo in the mailbox.  That would've made it $5.99 in the mailbox, $6.47 on the first floor, $6.98 on the second floor, and $7.30 in the safe.  I like Pay The Rent a lot better than Rat Race.  I would be fine with axing the rats and keeping Rent.

In the back of my mind, this felt like classic Price.  I enjoyed the show.  See, Mike?  You can put together a good show without a house band!

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
I don't want these types of showcases when the outcome, for all intensive purposes, is scripted.

Also, the lineup did suffer...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
The "Price Look of the Week" is just...well....odd, and even Drew seemed confused by it.  

Am I the only one who thought the tub in Most Expensive was a slam dunk?

The clamshell looks better, but could it have looked worse than last year's trippy pattern?

In the past, John and Marc alluded to the lack of space at Television City, and now the last two pricing games (Rat Race and Pay The Rent) are super-humongous.  

I do appreciate the details in many of the IUFB presentations (the snowboarding stuff and the fridge today).

Many Drew got the memo about yelling the contestant's name incessantly when they are called down, as he seemed to stop himself from doing it, and perhaps looking for other things to say today.

Always exciting to see the show back.  Nice work crew.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:32:45 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
And season 39 has officially begun! :)

I'm leaning toward not liking Pay the Rent. It seemed a bit too time-consuming to me, with the explanation, the product descriptions, and especially the placing of the products on the huge game board. I suppose it will go a bit faster as the season progresses. On the other hand, it will be fantastic to see a win.

I'm also not sure if I'll get used to hearing the brief comments from the announcer during the show ("Yeah!", "As we head toward season 40", even "good luck" at the end of prize descriptions). Was Rich replaced so we could hear such unnecessary, and perhaps unprofessional, remarks?

Let's see how the season goes.

Am I the only one who thought the tub in Most Expensive was a slam dunk?

Nope. I thought so too.

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
I don't understand "Pay The Rent" because they did not show the correct placement of the products.

Offline Roland

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »
Well, Drew DID warn us that Pay The Rent was a tricky game, and I saw how the $100K could have been won this time. I guess the rule of thumb is don't put the least expensive product on the bottom level. Also, I noticed the models have been handing "winner" license plates to somebody who has won a car. Do they keep those plates or not?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
I love the new light border.  It's a cool compromise between last year's and the classic one.

I'm a little disappointed that the new season started with Pay the Rent...it's the first time a season hasn't opened with a car game since at least 1982.

It looks like they're not putting the logo on the screen after the fourth game anymore. :(

Yay for El Cheapo in Money Game! :)

Squeeze Play should have been won.

I wonder if there's going to be a pattern this year for when the announcer does or doesn't appear onscreen during contestant calldowns.

The scripts for the showcases were better than usual today, but #1's really fell apart...they were offering stuff they had offered before, and partway through, the theme seemed to change from "Prizes We've Never Offered Before" to "Prizes Related to the Ford Mustang."  It came off as very strange.

So far, miking the Beauties and letting the announcers talk at any time is both pointless and borderline distracting.

I don't know how I feel about those license plate holders.  I suppose they're pretty harmless, but it seems awfully gimmicky...and it also makes it almost a requirement for the contestant to run over to the car, which used to be something that was amusing because it almost never happened.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
39th Season!

Much, much, much better than last season's premiere (though still a little weak for a season premiere). The new light border looked awesome, and is miles better than the blue square version from last season, but the new opening logo animation is way too busy. The small logo used before the closed-captioning plugs looks off, with the text being way too big. And no star wipe? Aww.

I didn't think J.D. was that bad, but the only time we should hear him is when he is reading copy (and I can do without the "good luck" tacked onto the end of prize descriptions).  I'm indifferent with hearing the models...it'll likely take a few more shows to have an opinion on that.

Pay the Rent's reveal was awesome. I loved the dimming of the lights, the giant "$100,000" sign dropping from the ceiling, and the doors opening to reveal the game.  As for the game itself, though...it's way too hard. The concept is great, and the rules are simple to comprehend...unfortunately, with the way the game is structured, it doesn't seem like it will be won all that often (if at all).

$10 says that the "Price Look of the Week" won't be seen again until December (with the "Price Look of the Week for Winter").  :lol:

Push Over was a pushover (pun intended). There was only one correct-looking choice.

I liked seeing the calldown box twice during the show, and I like how the distracting dollar signs shooting from it are gone. It looked much better this way.

I laughed at the "prizes never seen before on TPIR" showcase...I swear I've seen trips to Las Vegas and pool tables before.  I want the entertainment wall in the second showcase. :-D

OVERALL: 3.5/5.

CBS doesn't seem to have the episode up yet (and their entry page for TPIR wants me to have Flash 9 when I already have Flash 10...um, what?), so I can't watch yet.

CBS typically posts episodes after 6pm ET...which means it'll likely be up sometime between 6pm and eternity.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »
Season 39! Season 39! Season 39!

To me, the lack of decorations made me think of this as less of a season premiere than in the past. How much could balloons cost?

Despite that, the show was quite enjoyable, even with the oddball game line-up which was probably to accomodate Pay The Rent.

Push Over was very simple. There were only 2 real possibilites.

I really hope the Price Look of the Week is gone after a few more weeks. It's just dumb. Just show the outfit as an IUFB and have at it.

I enjoyed JD Roberto as an announcer. He's not as bad as some made him out to be. His voice isn't as sing-songy as Rich's was. He could have stressed the word CAR when announcing "A NEW CAR!" a little more, but he's not bad. I'm looking forward to seeing the other try-outs to compare but until then he's fine.

The one thing about JD was his comments during some moments of the show. I see they're trying to copy LMAD, but I couldn't understand him half the time. Lanisha saying "sorry" during Most Expensive was fine.

I love the light border as well, I can finally see it on a non-HD TV.

The showcases were pretty good today. It's glad to see they didn't need a guest to make them look better.

I love the opening for Pay The Rent. I like how they darkened the studio for the reveal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:58:25 PM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »
miking the Beauties
:-o

Anyway, I enjoyed it. The losses didn't matter to me because it was a lot of fun. Judging by this and the afternoon episode, it looks like the good work will keep on going successfully right into season forty.

(If they found a use for those spinning dollar signs somewhere on the set, I wouldn't mind. They're pretty neat.)