Author Topic: A day backstage at TPIR  (Read 7549 times)

Offline dabosss

• In the Audience
A day backstage at TPIR
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:47:03 PM »
I don't mean to gloat, but having recently returned from LA I had the experience of a life time. After some back and forth correspondance with the man himself, Mr Roger Dobkowitz I was able to arrange a visit for the day.

I can't thank him enough for providing me an experience of a life time. Seeing the show in production and allowing me the back stage access, the chance to view the technical rehersal from the stage and to sit in the control room, was truly generous on his part.

I didn't get the same kind of access that Clock Game John and Marc have recieved but they've worked hard for that! I did get some great pictures and memories to last a life time.

I've come to the conclusion the Stage 33 is the happiest place on earth. Even the loosers are happy!

I've also come to the conclusion that Roger is the nicest man in show business, and it's obvious that he leads by example as all the staff we re so kind and accomodating, from Rich, Doug and Jeff to Matt and Jen the pages. The models, Gabby, Rachel and Gwendolyn are much prettier in person especially with out the stage make up and were all very friendly.

Everyone made me feel like a vip guest. It was truly a thrill to meet Roger, frankly I'm embarassed that I could not come up with questions of substance for him while I had a few momments with him, but frankly the whole experience was overwellming. I've worked in television for the last 25 years and don't generaly get starstruck or awestruck but I was that day!

Being seated behind contestants row was an added bonus and certainly gave me a whole new perspective on the show. Quite frankly it went by so quick it was all a blur! Next thing I new it was over!

Another Added thrill was that Aaron,the showcase winner for that taping was seated in my row and he was envious of my seat, I joked with him and said your seat is fine, it's just temporary, they're sure to call your name, and sure enough they did. He was a great kid.

To anyone wavering on weather to attend a tapping or not, just go ahead and do it, I've been wanting this experience for 34 years and finaly to be there in the audience was bliss.

Thanks for letting me boast and share my experience with you all.

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: A day backstage at TPIR
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:53:22 PM »
You didn't waste any time putting up that shot of you in your avatar, did you?  woo hoo haa ha

I'm really glad to hear you had a good time.  You *did* have a good seat.  I'm noticing (yes i'm that naive) that row 2 is the best spot for the most face time on the show.  Dumb question: did you go ahead and wait since the wee hours of the morning, just for kicks?

...and did you get a chance to meet Bob?

Offline dabosss

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »
While I didn't have to wait in line like everyone else, I got very little sleep the night before. I was a like a little kid getting ready to go to disneyland for the first time!

The kids beside me had been up for two days in a row waiting to get in, they didn't make the cut the first day and came back the second day to get in, this after a couple of days driving from Minesota. My experience with Bob was a quick hello in passing, but more than enough.

As for the seats, as others can tell you the row behind contestants row is generally reserved for guests of the show. The people on the other side of me were guests of Rich's. In the golden gallery I believe there are some shots of the masking tape X applied to the guest seats with our names on it.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »
Wow, sounds like a blast, dabosss.. Thank you for sharing this with us! :)

I am not sure which would be more fun - actually getting a chance to play, or your experience.. Tough call. Both seem like a blast, though.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline dabosss

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »
Having pre arranged a visit meant some what a guarantee of sorts, I knew I'd be standing on that stage I new I could spin the wheel, just not with the same fan fare of being on the show. I live pretty well so i'm not in need of a new car or a bedroom set but who am I kidding 10-50 k never hurt anyone! We'll actually it would hurt me, coming from Canada means a whole ball of troubles with taxes and shipping. An employee of mine won the showcase a few years back and a couple of grand from PL!NKO in the end he walked away from a number of prizes just because of the hassel and the tax issues, he kept the cash and so did uncle sam!

That being said no matter how reserved I am I would jump at the opportunity and most likely freak out if i were to have my name called to Come on Down and I'd loose control if I won my way up on stage!

I plan to go back in the fall or later next year to experience the wait in line and the true audience experience.

Again if you are reading this and haven't gone to a tapping yet, drop what you're doing, book a flight, rent a car, just get there and do it, it's an experience of a life time and you won't regret it !

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:54:53 PM »
I finally got off my butt and attended my first taping last November because I wanted to experience the show live - the excitement, the history, and of course, watch Bob Barker in person. And while I sure wouldn't mind hearing my name called, it's never been a requirement to enjoy the experience - not the first time, not the second time, not this last time, and not the upcoming trip in August...

And, honestly, the biggest reason I'd ever want to be picked is just the experience of actually PLAYING. Outside of cash, what would I really need? I don't drive, so it's not like I'm going there with the hopes of winning a car. A computer? I build my own, and am quite pleased with that arrangement. Lovely furniture, but where would I put it in this rather small apartment?

Well, okay, one of those TV's would be nice, yes... Couldn't go wrong there, I suppose.

And a karaoke system? Between the two Madonnas (me, and that slightly more famous one from Michigan), I think we combine for -3.5 octaves - and she has 1.5 of them.  :lol: For those of you out there who think Madonna Ciccone can't sing, be very grateful you haven't heard me. :-P

Sometimes, I fear I'd freak out Bob and Roger and everyone else if I ever got up on stage. I'd be one of the very few contestants in recent history flipping out because I get to PLAY a pricing game, not because "Holy cow, I can win that!" I'd be more amped up over the idea (if I got luck enough to ever play one of these particular games) of playing Hole In One, or Punchboard, or Clock Game (you know, to show viewers how it's done), or Check Game (ditto) than the prizes actually being offered.

But, then, I'm weird that way...

But, you're right. Just being in that audience, watching the show live, watching the WGMC in action in person? It's a blast.. That alone has been so much fun that I've lost my voice three times in the last six months, and will lose it again in August.

...That is, if I don't permanently lose it on June 3 first.  :lol:
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.