Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/19/2011  (Read 19291 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/19/2011
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
"People win [Grand Game] all the time."  The damn thing hasn't been won this calendar year, Drew...which is not good for the easiest cash game on the show.

Well, what do you expect Drew to say? "This game hasn't been won in so long!" That would sure give the contestant confidence now, wouldn't it?

Brian

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
Pretty average show, though this one had a few quirks to it. That was one of the more interesting Clock Game playings I've seen in awhile in particular - a great example of a contestant who took awhile to catch on but "figured it out" just in time to win!

5 Price Tags was played particularly badly. They made a conscious effort to set it up a bit easier after it was wiped out last time, but it led to the same result. Also, just letting George butt in and start the intros whenever he wants makes for awkward television.

I am REALLY tired of Grand Game setups like today's.

The end of the showcase was the worst hosting I have ever seen from Drew (even though the rest of the show wasn't that bad). Seriously, nothing screams "I don't care" like holding the ARP card up in complete plain view (even in SD) while revealing a showcase. He then didn't even pretend to act excited about the close $404 difference.

Timings:
Range Game (4) - 3:11
Clock Game (4.5) - 5:36
5 Price Tags (5.5) - 5:19
One Wrong Price (3.5) - 4:10
That's Too Much! (5) - 3:32
Grand Game (5)- 4:08
Timings (27.5): 24:56

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:41 PM »
Well, what do you expect Drew to say?

Something else altogether would be a good start.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »
Well, what do you expect Drew to say? "This game hasn't been won in so long!" That would sure give the contestant confidence now, wouldn't it?

Brian

Something else altogether would be a good start.

The frequency of wins, especially if its not true, really doesn't have to be brought up.  With that logic, Drew should introduce "Pick-a-Number" with, "This game is basically a crapshoot.  You probably won't win.  So which number would you like?"

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
The frequency of wins, especially if its not true, really doesn't have to be brought up.  With that logic, Drew should introduce "Pick-a-Number" with, "This game is basically a crapshoot.  You probably won't win.  So which number would you like?"

"Yep, Pay the Rent.  Now, this is a very winnable game, Robert.  People win this game aaaaaaaaaaall the time."

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
"Yep, Pay the Rent.  Now, this is a very winnable game, Robert.  People win this game aaaaaaaaaaall the time."

YEEEEAHHH!  So should I put the least expensive item in the mailbox?

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
Yeah, that was the other thing that stuck out today. I don't think Drew meant to; perhaps he didn't realize for a moment that Julienne was the third to spin the wheel and had the leading total in this Showcase.

That does lead to a question: Regardless of the faux pas, what if a contestant who's third and spinning the wheel achieves a winning total in his/her first spin, Drew correctly explains that he/she automatically wins ... and the dumb, stupid contestant decides he/she is greedy and wants to go for $1 and spins again?

As astronomically unlikely that it will ever happen, I don't think it could or would be counted as a legal spin ... or would it (i.e., would Standards and Practices see it differently and declare a legal spin had occurred)?

Brian

Actually, you can spin again if you're the third spinner and you've already beatten the leader.

It's downright stupid, but you can do it. Same with continuing on in Card Game when you've already used an ace. Stupid, but allowed.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
Actually, you can spin again if you're the third spinner and you've already beatten the leader.

This is false if you are the only one not to go over in the Showcase Showdown.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
This is false if you are the only one not to go over in the Showcase Showdown.

There is no situation in which the statements "you've already beaten the leader" and "you are the only one not to go over" can both be true.