Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2012  (Read 14496 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 10/10/2012
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:06:38 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap 10/10/2012
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
Another good 4 for 6 show today. Half off shouldn't have been wiped out and clock game could've been won. And both car games were won. Range game, Dice Game, Double prices, and any number were won.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
1/2 Off: As Jim Ross might say, "Bowling shoe ugly".

Range Game: I thought it was going to be very close on the low side, but it was close in the opposite direction & in a good way!

Dice: Scott rolled those dice well enough for this PG's first win of '12!

Double Prices: Pretty easy.

Clock: This just wasn't Mary's game, though I had a feeling she might've pulled off the miracle when I saw the $999 price for the fridge.

AN: I was worried that Allison wouldn't get the other 2 at the end when she picked the 1 to leave only that last car digit remaining. She then scared us twice more even w/ the reverse run of numbers trick for the other two gifts, but she finally wised up & won the prius c!

Showcases: I had a feeling Scott would become the new top winner of the season to date after he made his bid; both cars were behind Door #2 this time around!

Best show of the season so far, IMO!

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
And remember, this is the second episode in a row where a PG car winner ended up winning a second car in their Showcase- I think that's the first time we've had such a streak since Bob's final two shows as host!

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
Range Game:  Exciting win! :biggrin:
Dice Game:  Well played! :biggrin:
Double Prices, Any Number:  Nice wins! :-)
Clock Game:  Better than nothing.
1/2 Off:  Poorly played, although I thought the first set of prizes was evil.

Great show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
Although this lineup was pretty mediocre, we're starting to get on a roll despite the SP games having a very bad week. Let's keep it up. Most importantly, no 1s OR 6s in Dice today.

One of these days, Clock is going to get played for a car and it will be ugly...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
Another good show. This one was also setup to do extremely well in (although Range Game is almost always tossup at this point).

1/2 Off was ugly. I hate that Belgian Waffle maker.

What a wonderfully close Range Game. Excellent. But when Drew said it moves up slowly, I didn't think the operator would take him seriously. He started the range finder super-slow before getting it on pace.

Finally, Dice breaks out of its rut. Good rolling and a luckily high 3rd number saved us from a disaster.

That DP win was unbeweaveable! Not really, but it was nice to finally see someone not overprice the wave runner in this game. Glad she could here this time. She stood there for a long time when she got called down. I'm surprised they didn't edit that.

Clock was blown. I thought Mary was going to be a good contestant, but alas she overpriced the appliances. That's disappointing because that was really not supposed to be hard. They were GE appliances for pete's sake.

Good win in Any Number. Also very exciting.

Nice show overall. Pretty good week thus far.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »
It may be a new season, but Mike hasn't forgotten to drag out that evil $280 waffle iron.

Did Shirley seriously think that an ice cream scoop would cost $30?  Wow... I'm speechless.

Range Game was won by $3.  Those kinds of Range Game wins never cease to excite me.

There were a few ways to get in trouble with a Dice Game price of $22,423, but Scott had Lady Luck on his side.

Mary was a bad Clock Game player... but we've seen far worse.

A full count on Any Number.  At that point, 2 was kinda the obvious choice for the last number in the TARDIS car.  That lever laptop wasn't gonna be only $239, and there hasn't been less than $3.00 in Chuck Gibson the piggy bank since... oh crap, it was under $3.00 twice last season.  Well, there's another one of my arguments shot to hell.

My showcase bids:
Cycles--$23,107
Car--$33,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »
The Indianapolis Star had an interview this week with Shirley that also promoted TPIR Live at Butler University that took place last night. (It's ironic that they asked Shirley, who performed poorly in her pricing game, to give advice to attendees of TPIR Live).
I'm going to try and include a link here, but this is my first try doing this, so if I don't get it right, please don't flame me!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012121005034

The part I found interesting was this:

"They wore coordinated red-and-white shirts, and Tipton said she must have fared well during a pre-show interview process. An usher directed her to sit in a seat marked with tape."

I know they are being particular about how they are seating audience members these days, but this almost makes it sound like Shirley (or the article author) believed that she was seated in a particular location because she was selected to be called on down.  Maybe they misinterpreted the situation, because I hadn't understood this to be the case.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Another good show today? We're on a roll now!

THE BAD NEWS:

1/2 Off: Not only Shirley wiped out, she also went over on the big wheel, too............Not a good day for her.

THE NOT-SO-BAD NEWS:

Clock Game: Mary wasn't bad of a player. Better to leave here with a microwave than nothing.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Range Game: Daniel cut it a little too close with the trip. Thank God he got it!

Double Prices: All-in-all, another easy set-up on the jet ski!

Any Number: Allison's a real cutie, and good for her to ask for another 2 for that car. A bit of nail-biter, but she did a great job!

Dice Game: Scott has finally end the game's futility! I was afraid that the middle number would do him in. Good thing that it was higher than 3. Also, he also won another car (a Mustang) when he won his showcase!

Bad luck on 1/2 Off, but 2 car games were won.........Great day today!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:06:14 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline BenclankTPIR

• Outside in Line
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2012
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Hooray! A trip to Sydney, Australia! You know, I live from Australia and I love Australian trips, I love it!
There were 4 out of 6 wins today, so I'm giving it 9/10 for brilliant wins! I think Clock Game was really close for the win, thank you!
@ Ben Roderick

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
If Bob were hosting or if this was Season 36, I think the contestant would have had to re-roll the first die, as it did not come to rest over the line.  But because the roll was a one, Drew was all too eager to credit the contestant with it.  This discrepancy ended up not mattering because the contestant won, but I wonder if we'll see a playing where a technical win will be warranted because a contestant lost due to a roll being improperly accepted, as it did not come to rest over the line and Drew was too eager to continue the game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:15:52 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
You know, there are times when I wish Drew was just better. Like, there was a really great reveal hidden in that intro to Dice Game today, but Drew dwelled way too long on the not getting to play Plinko aspect, and dragged it on too long, and it just became awkward. I felt pretty bad there - that's one of those sort of things that just takes practice, but you wold think he would be better at it by now. Then Drew was pretty gunshy during the playing of Dice Game itself, but he seems to have a personal vendetta against the game. Still need to keep the bipolarity in check though.

Apart from that though, he was fine, and this show was pretty solid! While the setups weren't QUITE as nice overall as yesterday, they were still clearly in early season mode. Any Number was a really tough one though with a nasty car for that game and I'm very pleased that a win was able to happen there. A 4/6 show doesn't feel quite as good when the 2 losses both were as epic fails as today's were, but at least those were entertaining. The amount of people that know how to play Clock Game is decreasing unfortunately. Still, it's always enjoyable when things feel a little bit "lighter" overall. And Dice finally got a win! That feels practically as impressive as a Golden Road win at this point...

Timings:
1/2 Off (5.5) - 5:20
Range Game (4) - 3:28
Dice Game (4.5) - 5:20
Double Prices (3) - 3:21
Clock Game (4.5) - 4:50
Any Number (5) - 4:51
Total (26.5): 26:10

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
This show was an exercise in contrasts.  There were four wins, including some really exciting ones and both of the car games...but holy man, 1/2 Off was brutual, and Clock Game was completely bungled.

Maybe I'm being too picky here, but wouldn't it look a little more professional if the recap had "winners" instead of "winnahs?"

I think Clock Game was really close for the win, thank you!

Close or not, Mary was easily one of the worst Clock Game players in the show's history.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
but I wonder if we'll see a playing where a technical win will be warranted because a contestant lost due to a roll being improperly accepted, as it did not come to rest over the line and Drew was too eager to continue the game.

Would this really happen?

I don't see the big deal.  I always thought the intent of having the dice cross the line was to avoid contestants barely rolling them and trying to manipulate what it lands on more easily.

The Clock Game player wasn't close even if she did end up $20 away from the second prize.  She did well just to win the first prize though given how high she started. 

Good show.