Author Topic: Illusions you had watching price.  (Read 7963 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Illusions you had watching price.
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
What illusions did you have watching price? For me, I always thought the turntable was center stage right behind bob. I always thought 5 price tags was behind door 1. I also always thought that in Hole in One (before it became hole in one or two), when a player missed the putt and it hit the back of the green, it would automatically trigger the losing horns.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Illusions you had watching price.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »
I think most will agree with this one: I always thought the stage was much larger than it actually is.  Especially when Golden Road was played because of how they set up the stage and the camera shots.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:51:39 PM »
It was a long time before I realized that only one turntable panel actually spun around, and that there were only two pentagonal panels, for that matter.  I think Give or Keep is at least partly responsible for that confusion, in spite of obviously never actually seeing Give or Keep coming around the turntable.  I guess my young mind figured it must've spun around regardless, and wasn't able to figure out why we didn't actually get to see it come around.

I thought Pick a Pair was a new game in 1990.  While I remembered a game with a ferris wheel that had (as far as I knew) been retired, I didn't actually remember that game being Pick a Pair, so it just seemed like a brand new game to me!

I thought Squeeze Play was just like Double Prices in changing stage positions sometimes.  Young me didn't consider reruns.

And of course, the dials in Safe Crackers being magic.  Even as I got older, I still couldn't figure out how simple the color-changing illusion actually was.  Not until I was an adult did I figure that one out.

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »
When I was a kid, I thought the one bid and showcase displays had a voice recognition system. Whatever price contestants would say it would magically appear on the display. When I think about it, everything worked electronically, and when I grew older I realized there were many people working behind the props.

I thought there were more than 3 doors.

I thought the area behind Bob was a different area than home base (turntable). I also thought that the showcase round was played in a totally different place than the turntable area too. Staging and camera angles, I guess. :) I was also scared that everytime someone, wheter be the contestant or Bob, would step on the turntable itself (inside the circled area), the turntable would spin accidentally.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38:45 AM »
I thought Tags and Safe were behind Door #1 as well.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
I thought contestants were chosen at random.

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
For some reason, I thought contestants bid in the order they came in, not the new person then going right.

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
I thought Tags and Safe were behind Door #1 as well.
I thought so, too. I also thought that 2 for the price of 1 was played behind Door #1 (I thought I saw Bob & the contestants stand in between Door #1 & Door #2 with their backs towards the audience the first several playings of that PG back then).     

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
I think most will agree with this one: I always thought the stage was much larger than it actually is.  Especially when Golden Road was played because of how they set up the stage and the camera shots.

Definitely.
I was convinced that the big doors were motorized.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »
Are there any games that have been played behind Door #1 (aside from games that use all three doors to show their prizes, like Super Ball or Triple Play)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
I used to think the show had a live band to perform cues.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Somehow I never realized that the showcase round was held on the turntable.  Also, I remember watching a showcase with Rod in it with him announcing it at the same time, so I was convinced that there were two Rods.  :oldlol:

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
I was actually convinced that Janice and Dian were sisters considering their last names were a bit similar. At least that's what I think. Pennington, Parkinson. I think they're (last names) pretty close. I was a kid then.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
I remember thinking that the Top Winner and Runner-Up were placed according to their Showcase Showdown score (the Big Wheel amounts, not any bonus cash).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:38:23 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Michael

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
I too thought that Safe Crackers and 5 Price Tags were behind Door #1.  As a kid I thought there was a live band playing in the studio.  I also wondered what happened if someone's named was called and he/she wasn't there.