Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/2/2015  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 1/2/2015
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6945K
Aired – 1/2/2015; Taped – 9/23/2014
Models: Gwendolyn Osborne-Smith, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Camcorder (12hr video camcorder with 10x HD video lens); ARP: $1,099 (Gwendolyn)

DAWN MICHAEL KENNETH SHASTER
850 899 900 851

The winner is...
KENNETH

Kenneth is playing LUCKY $EVEN for a 2015 Dodge Journey SE (2.4L engine, 4-speed AT, FWD, paint/fabric protection) (Rachel).

First number is...

$

Remaining: $7

Guess: 2

$

Remaining: $6

Guess: 5

$

Remaining: $5

Guess: 7

$

Remaining: $3

Guess: 4

$

Remaining: $1

WIN

Second IUFB: Pair of iPads (Apple: 16GB iPad Air and 16GB iPad Mini with retina displays, smartcovers); ARP: $976 (Overhead)

DAWN MICHAEL JULIA SHASTER
975 1126 1125 2000

The winner is...
DAWN

Dawn is playing SWITCH? for home gym (Inspire Fitness: M3 Multi-station home gym) (Rachel) and a sauna (Crystalsaunas: 3-person infared sauna) (Gwendolyn).

These prices are either correct or need to be switched:

HOME GYM
$2495
SWITCH?
SAUNA
$3695
SWITCH?

Dawn chooses to stay...

HOME GYM
$2495
$2495
SAUNA7
$3695
$3695

WIN

Third IUFB: Designer Jewelry (Julie Vos: 24ct gold plated and gemstone collection with pendant, cuffs, earrings, rings); ARP: $1,190 (Rachel)

SHIRLEY MICHAEL JULIA SHASTER
900 1200 1201 1500

The winner is...
SHIRLEY

Shirley is playing 1/2-Off for a chance to win $10,000!

Inside one of these boxes in $10,000! The rest have nothing. Shirley can eliminate some of the boxes by guessing which item is half-off it's ARP.

HAIR
DRYER
$18 $45

STEAM
IRON

She picks the hair dryer...

$18 $18 $45

STEAM
IRON

Wrong! None of the boxes are elminated...

SANDWICH
MAKER
$50 $14

TUMBLER

She picks the tumbler...

SANDWICH
MAKER
$50 $14 $28

HEATER $21 $94

SLOW
COOKER

She picks the slow cooker...

HEATER $21 $94 $94

Box picked:

Inside the box:

Money inside box:

LOSS (Total Winnings: $78)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Shirley $1,268 70 STAY .70
Dawn $7,166 50 90 1.40
OVER
Kenneth $22,595 35 50 .85 *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Cookware (Ameriware Professional: 11-piece commercial grade cookware set); ARP: $1,220 (Rachel)

KENNETH G. MICHAEL JULIA SHASTER
800 975 600 601

The winner is...
MICHAEL

Michael is playing Danger Price for

1. Designer Shoes (Christian Dior: pumps, sandals, platforms) (Gwendolyn)
  2. Pool Table (Golden West Billiards: Traditional style + deluxe accessory kit) (Gwendolyn)
  3. Chair and Ottoman (Carolinachair.com: Chair and ottoman) (Rachel)
  4. Pair of Bicycles (Pure Fix Cycles: pair of solar bicycles) (Rachel)

$1515
POOL TABLE
CHAIR SET
SHOES
BICYCLES
$1515
$3295
CHAIR SET
SHOES
BICYCLES
$1515
$3295
$1515
$2345
$798

LOSS

Fifth IUFB: Pair of Surfboards (Catch Surf: 5ft shortboards); ARP: $550 (Gwendolyn)

KENNETH G. STEFANIA JULIA SHASTER
459 525 526 420

The winner is...
JULIA

Julia is playing PICK A NUMBER for a trip to Costa Rica (RT Coach to Liberia, CR for a 7d surf camp at Witch's Rock Surf Camp + accommodations, daily breakfast, surf classes, rental car) (Rachel).

The price of the Costa Rica trip is $5,013, $5,413, or $5,613:

$ 5 Pick
-A-
Number
1 3
0 4 6

Julia picks 0

$ 5 6 1 3
  4 6

LOSS

Well, I almost forgot, we had a case for the limo to appear. Shaster, who bid $420 last time up is still here, and she may get carted off to Dune Acres, Indiana.

Sixth IUFB: Multimedia System (Touchscreen navigation system with bluetooth, satellite radio, 2yr subscription); ARP: $2,568 (Rachel)

KENNETH G. STEFANIA KELSEY SHASTER
601 1027 600 1026

The winner is...
STEFANIA

Shaster heads to Dune Acres while Stefania is playing HOLE IN ONE for a2015 Toyota Corolla L (1.8L engine, 4-speed AT, FWD; ARP: $18,325) (Gwendolyn).

Stefania has a chance to putt next to the hole if he/she can place the following items in order from lowest to highest:

• Tai Pei Egg Rolls
  • Elmer's School Glue
  • Star Balsamic Vinegar
  • Snack Pack Pudding Cups
  • Dr. Scholls Tri-Comfort
  • Ice Breakers Sugar Free Gum

Stefania puts the items in this order:

$500
GUM GLUE PUDDING EGG ROLLS VINEGAR ORTHOTICS

The ARPs are:

$500
$3.49 $2.59 PUDDING EGG ROLLS VINEGAR ORTHOTICS

Stefania will putt from the 1st line.

Drew attempts the insipration putt...*SUCCESS*

Stefania attempts his/her putt...*MISS*

Drew changes the game to "Hole In One or Two"!

Stefania attempts the second putt...*LOSS*

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Julia $550 75 STAY .75
Michael $1,220 90 STAY .90 *SHOWCASE*
Stefania $2,568 60 65 1.25
OVER

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Kenneth has the honors...

SC1 - Michael

FRESH STARTS
  • Washer and Dryer (EnergyStar Washer and gas dryer courtesy of Plessers.com) (Gwendolyn)
  • Snowmobile (Polaris: 600 Pro RMK 155 with 599cc liquid- cooled engine, gripper skis) (George)
  • 2015 Nissan Versa S+ Sedan (1.6L engine, CVT) (Gwendolyn)
Bid: $23,920

SC2 - Kenneth

SNUGGLE BEAR SHOWCASE
  • Bedroom (Michael Amini/Jane Seymour: 6-piece swank collection with headboard, night stand, Comfortaire queen mattress; 9- piece Michael Amini bedding collection; 50in LED Smart HDTV with Smart hub) (Rachel)
  • Laptop (13.3in touchscreen laptop with dual core processor, 8GB RAM) (Rachel)
  • Cruise of the Orient (RT Coach to Singapore for a 9n stay in oceanview suite in far East cruise with various Asian ports of call) (Rachel)
Bid: $21,760
Michael
$23,920
CAR
$29,695
$5,775
CAR
*WIN*
$30,915
Kenneth
$21,760
CRUISE
$30,915
$9,155
CRUISE

You read that right, Michael won the same amount of money in total to the actual retail price of the second showcase.

Results: 2 out of 6
Winnings: $65,062
Biggest Winner: Michael

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/2/2015
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
We got off to a good start with the first two games, but things kind of went downhill from there. Nice inspiration putt by Drew, though.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Cephas

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »
The stack o' cash really should have been in Box 15.

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Kenneth played L$ much better than I thought he would; those 2nd & 5th digits scared me, but being low most of the time paid off. Too bad his lowball Showcase bid didn't quite work out.

Offline Coupon Boy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
An OK show to start off the year.

Lucky Seven: To win this game with a 1 AND 9 in the price is quite some feat!

Switch: Without question the easiest game of the day. Saunas cost less than $3,000 on this show, plain and simple.

Half Off: Winning this game would've been an even larger feat than winning Lucky Seven today given the trick set-up with the first pair of prizes. The other two sets were fairly straight forward, and Shirley missing one of them made today's loss a deserved one.

Danger Price: A VERY tricky set-up today. I was convinced the shoes were the Danger Price,  so I would've lost as well.

Pick-a-Number: I was torn between the 4 and 6 and I probably would've won, but it's really a shot in the air when the number you're trying to pick isn't the first number in the price.

Hole-in-one: Terrible play of an easy game. Moving on!

Showcases: This was a rare occasion in which I'm glad the "smaller" showcase was won, as it meant that 2 people won a car today and that cruise is not the taxes you have to pay on it on my opinion.

My Overall Rating: 6

Won $79,525 on my first Host Your Own game.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
I don't see why it should. The $10K could have been hidden in any box.

My two cents:

Lucky Seven: Great play!
Switch: Piece of cake.
1/2-Off: Tough luck, regardless of the SPs. 'Nuff said.
Danger Price: Tough break.
Pick a Number: I had the 6. Too bad she didn't.
Hole in One: I almost thought she'd get as far as the 5th line. I never expected the gum to be more expensive. Well, nobody said this game was easy. Great inspiration putt by Drew, though. Tough luck on the putts, nonetheless.

Showcases: Because the Nissan Versa in the first Showcase was a subcompact car, the Showcase with the cruise of the Orient was far superior, price-wise AND prize-wise.

Not a bad show for the first new show of 2015.

BTW, Adam, in 1/2-Off, you stated that Shirley's 2nd guess was wrong, but it was actually correct.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
Lucky $even: Great to see the Dodge Journey won. It felt great to have the first game played in 2015 be a win. That camcorder was a nice contestants row prize to start off the year as well.

Switch?: Setup forced win. Even if you know nothing about home gyms no sauna will be under $3000 so it became stay by default if nothing else. The Apple iPads were a fantastic contestants row prize.

Half Off: Bummer. It would have been cool if the money had been in box 15 for the first show of 2015 win or lose. Start of year streak stopped at 2.

Danger Price: Difficult. Very difficult. It could have been any prize other than the pool table. The shoes aren't my thing but the other prizes were decent. Too bad it wasn't won.

Pick a Number: I had no clue here. It's unfortunate that the nice Costa Rica trip wasn't won.

Hole in One or Two: If any store charged me that much for gum I'd find somewhere else to shop. Drew nailing his putt was pretty neat. Too bad today's contestant couldn't hit hers. It's a shame that the Toyota Corolla wasn't won and it's a shame to end the first show of 2015 with a loss.

Showcases: The Nissan Versa showcase was the better showcase and I'm glad it was won.

Lineup: Good: Lucky $even is a great lead off hitter and Hole in One or Two is a favorite and an awesome closer. Danger Price is also a favorite. I hate Half Off because of how extremely luck based it is and Switch? is our dullest two prize game. Pick a Number is okay as long as it is not the lead off hitter or closer. But a quality game first and a quality game sixth always make a good lineup.

Overall: A 2 for 6 show with all car/cash games lost and a good lineup might make an average show. But having a car showcase won upgrades this show to an above average rating.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
As we'll see over the course of 2015, we'll experience ups and downs in quality, and today shows just that.

One Bids: With just a $50 difference between the first three bidders on the first IUFB, Shaster should have easily 1upped here. Unfortunately for him, the now-stupid stoner bid led him to the exit.

Lucky Seven: Always great to start a show off with a win in this game!

Switch: Fairly easy. I was a bit worried that the Inspire brand may have caused a trap, but it was not the largest gym set.

1/2 Off: Actually the Tumbler was correct, recapper. Unfortunately, the hair dryer/iron setup was brutal, and although the third item was easier, it was due for a loss quite frankly.

Danger Price: Actually what I'd call an average setup. The pool table was obvious, the bicycles weren't the DP because of the "even rule", and the trick was that the Christian Dior is $$ while the chair didn't look that expensive. At least Michael won his showcase, though!

Pick-a-Number: This was not a domestic trip nor Mexico, and it made sense that the 6 should have been picked. Oh well. 

Hole in One: The fact that was a 40-piece package of gum shows that missing the details can fool people, while that's an average bottle of glue you would find at the school store. And it's silly now that the bonus for arranging all the prices correctly is the same as the lowest dollar amount on Wheel of Fortune; when the game premiered, it was when it was Wheel's second highest dollar amound on the first round! At least Drew knows how the putt, although a miss on both sides of the hole is just painful to see.

Showcases: Felt like the almost like the old days again with a car in one showcase and furniture and a trip in the other. However, the quality of each has reversed course. That celebrity brand furniture/nine day cruise is still a garf-marker though.

Overall: Decent start to the week with a good start but a bit of a letdown, though the great lineup, nice prize mix and contestants made this enjoyable, and you can't go wrong when two cars are won.

Show Grade: B-
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
And it's silly now that the bonus for arranging all the prices correctly is the same as the lowest dollar amount on Wheel of Fortune; when the game premiered, it was when it was Wheel's second highest dollar amount on the first round!
Actually it was the same as Wheel's top dollar in Round 1; that didn't increase from $500 to $750 until sometime in summer or fall of 1979.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
THE BAD NEWS:

1/2 Off: There's no one to blame here but Shirley's husband..........He wanted her to pick #11. And the SPs didn't help much, either.

Danger Price: I really thought that the bikes should've been avoided. Even though Michael didn't win that game, he did win a Versa for his step-mom at the end.

PaN: I thought that it would've been $5413 for that Puerto Rico trip. Too bad Julia was too cheap for her own good.

Hole In One: That setup alone (mostly, the glue and the gum) was evidence enough that Mike didn't want that to be a win. Stefania should just return that multimedia stuff now.........Being on the show is rewarding enough, anyway, I guess. Despite that, Drew did make a good putt.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Lucky Seven: I was afraid that the Journey wasn't gonna be won, but Kenneth was a true player and he won it!

Switch?: Easy win for Dawn!

THE BOTTOM LINE:

After the L7 and Switch? wins, the rest of the lineup, which was good, pretty much went south. At least the Journey was won, though. A not too bad start of the new year.

Offline Joe

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
I don't see why it should. The $10K could have been hidden in any box.

It took me a minute to think about it, but I think what was being suggested here was that, since this is the first new episode aired in 2015, it would've been fitting to put the prize in Box #15.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
^ It probably would have been only #3 and #15 left if all three pairs of SPs were priced.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
It took me a minute to think about it, but I think what was being suggested here was that, since this is the first new episode aired in 2015, it would've been fitting to put the prize in Box #15.
^ It probably would have been only #3 and #15 left if all three pairs of SPs were priced.

I doubt any of this was considered back in September. Maybe if there was a first-run episode airing on 1/1 they would consider doing something like that.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Maybe if there was a first-run episode airing on 1/1 they would consider doing something like that.
If so, then probably the last two boxes would've been #1 and #15.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »

Reading the recap, I thought 11 was an inspired choice, since that was the shape formed by the remaining boxes.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.