Author Topic: 10/7/76 (aired 9/9/76) Painful losses, great banter, and interesting prizes  (Read 5189 times)

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
Johnny: Here it comes! The first big hour-long game show in television! The fabulous, new 60-minute Price is Right!

Maxine Haranski, COME ON DOWN! (Early 20s blonde in a light pink cap-sleeved T-shirt and tan pants)
Donita DiVerna, COME ON DOWN! (Early to mid-20s brunette in a burgundy and white striped top and pink pants)
Janet Everett, COME ON DOWN! (Early 20s blonde in a long-sleeved magenta shirt that says "JANET HAS IT" and bell-bottom jeans) and...
Wanda Trammel, COME ON DOWN! (Early 20s black woman in a pink blouse and jeans)

You are the first four contestants on TPIR! And now, here's the star of TPIR, Bob Barker!

Bob is wearing a whitish-blue suit and the Beauties are wearing those sleeveless multicolored dresses from the 3/11/76 show.

Bob does a very quick monologue today as he tells us the CBS is "where the action is" before calling for the first item.

1. Haversham Furniture foxfire love seat (Dian; this is the earliest episode I've ever seen where the Brioche cue is used. I didn't think it debuted until after Anitra left.)

Maxine: $325
Donita: $400
Janet: $475
Wanda: $300

ARP: $428. Donita is the first winner! It's back to the Range Game board (Bob's suit matches the lighter shade of blue on the board exactly) where she can kick things off by winning...

A NEW CAR! (Janice)

Johnny: The new 1976 Chevrolet Vega coupe with an improved durable engine, rugged chassis, and extensive protection against body corrosion. The 1976 Vega. It's equipped with automatic transmission, white striped tires, body side moulding, door edge guards, wheel trim rings, and deluxe bumpers.

And if you win this car, you'll also receive a supply of Kendall superb high-viscosity motor oil! (Anitra)

Today's scale goes from $3400 to $4000. Not surprising since we're playing for a Vega, which was basically the show's go-to cheap car in the mid-70s. Start it up the scale, please.

Donita appears anxious as the rangefinder begins climbing. She keeps reaching her hand out to hit the button, but stops short of doing It gets to about $3655-$3805 when one of her two female friends in the audience emphatically gestures for her to stop, which she does.

Bob: Wouldn't this be a marvelous way to start today's show, with Donita winning that beautiful automobile? Wouldn't that be a great start? (Donita is laughing and saying yes.)

Price of car: $3645 That hurts!

Bob: Oh, my! It's $3645. You let it go only about five, ten,  about eleven dollars too much! (Donita kisses him) Donita, I'm sorry, but thank you for playing the Range Game. (to us) Gee, eleven dollars away from that car! We'll be back after watching this.

(Camera pans audience as bump to commercial)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: Johnny Olson, let's have another contestant out of this studio audience please!
Johnny: Coming up, Bob Barker! Meet Frank Edwards! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on TPIR! (Middle-age bald black man in a blue windbreaker-type jacket over a white collared shirt and white pants. Kind of looks like George Foreman.)

Bob notes the logo on Frank's jacket, which reads "Business agent for local 196" along with his name. When asked to what that refers, Frank says it's the Teamsters, which gets some applause. Frank is EXTREMELY chill throughout the show and has a very deadpan sense of humor.

Bob: If you're with the Teamsters, how do you explain the fact that you run so long in one place when you started down that aisle?
Frank: Well, I'm a little tired!
Bob:  Well, you picked up speed as you started down the aisle though, Frank. And you're here in time to bid on this next item up for bids on TPIR.

2. Amana Touchmatic Radar-Range (Anitra)

Frank: $400
Janet: $410
Wanda: $375
Maxine: $475

ARP: $595. Maxine goes up to the turntable where she can win...

A set of three George B. Bent occasional tables and a Conover Chair Co. sofa, both modeled by Dian.

Maxine, who it turns out is a student at the University of Maryland and on vacation in California, will play Clock Game. She says she's not "too familiar" with the game, so Bob explains it.

Price of tables: $462

"600." LOWER
"400." HIGHER
"500." LOWER
"475." LOWER
"450." HIGHER
"460." HIGHER
"470." LOWER
"469." LOWER
"468." LOWER
"465." LOWER
"464." LOWER
"461." HIGHER
"462." WIN with 12 seconds left. She didn't play that badly at all for not being too familiar with the game.

Bob: Have you never seen this game before?
Maxine: I saw it very fast, but I was as nervous for the contestants as they were. Now I know what it's like. I never thought I would. (laughs)

She may attend college in Maryland, but her accent is 100% New York.

Price of sofa: $761

"700." HIGHER
"900." LOWER
"750." HIGHER
"775." LOWER
"760." HIGHER
"765." LOWER
"764." LOWER
"763." TIME'S UP! Another painful loss!

Bob: Two seconds more! It was 761. But now, for not knowing the game any better than you did, you were just a spectacular success in the Clock Game. Thank you, Maxine.

We'll be back after we see this!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: But for eleven dollars and two seconds, we would have had two winners already. Johnny, who is our next contestant?
Johnny: Bob, it's Susan Suchel! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on TPIR! (Late 20s brunette in a white sleeveless blouse with dark blue stripes and black pants. She was one of Donita's two friends seen earlier.)

3. Camp Trails his and her backpacking equipment (Janice)

Susan: $325
Frank: $275
Janet: $400
Wanda: $330

ARP: $494. Janet, like her shirt says, has it! What else can she have?

The Dolphin sailboat by Silverline! And for a special treat, a supply of Kentucky Fried Chicken! A prize package worth $2620! (Anitra)

It's time for an early playing of Bullseye with the original $9-10 target. The products are:

* Chunky family-size bar (CANDY)
* Wash n' Dri moist towelettes (WIPES)
* Banquet Man-Pleaser TV dinner (DINNER)
* Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (SAUCE)
* Woody's cold pack cheddar cheese (it's basically a tub of that spreadable cheese from a cheese log minus the nuts) (CHEESE)

Janet first wants 7 Chunkies, but sensing that she doesn't understand the rules, Bob asks "Now do you think that will total $9-10?". Getting the hint but still seeming confused, she changes to 12 Chunkies.

One is 69¢, 12 are $8.28. Not quite, but she at least gets a marker.

Her second attempt is 8 dinners. One is $1.11, 8 are $8.88. She's getting so close, but not close enough. One more shot.

You can tell Janet's getting a little overwhelmed. A shot of the audience shows that they are dead silent and a few people can even be seen shrugging. They soon start giving a few more suggestions. Janet chooses 16 of the sauce, but then changes to 14.

One is 77¢, 14 is $10.78. Missed the target completely.

Now, since this is old school Bullseye, only the product that came closest to the target is eligible for a win via the hidden bullseye. In this case, the dinner. Is it there?

SORRY

No sailboat for Janet. It was behind the Chunky, which was her first choice. Yet another frustrating loss in the first half!

We'll be back with our first showcase showdown after this!

(After seeing these early playings of Bullseye, it's not too hard to see why the changed the target and the hidden bullseye rules. These rules were often very confusing for the contestant and difficult to win. They also took a while; this third segment took about 7 minutes start to finish.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Bob notes before the first spin of the wheel by how little each of these three contestants lost their respective games. However, he at first mixes up Maxine and Donita's outcomes and keeps mistakenly saying that Janet lost Bullseye by 22¢ when it was really on 12¢.)

Donita: 50¢ + 15¢ = 65¢
Janet: 40¢ + 65¢ = $1.05 OVER
Maxine: 90¢ WIN!

Maxine is in the showcase! By this time, the bell sequence is no longer present. It was still there on 9/22/76.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: Johnny, who is our next contestant?
Johnny: Bob, it's Elispo [sic] Gonzalez! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on TPIR! (Mid to late 30s Hispanic man with dark hair in a white shirt with a gray square print and white pants. Johnny mispronounced his first name, which is actually Eliseo. The error is never mentioned)

Eliseo happily tells Bob in his noticeable Spanish accent "I feel good! I'm gonna win!".

4. A divan  (Janice)

Eliseo: $195
Wanda: $475
Susan: $300
Frank: $375

ARP: $375! Frank got it exactly right, but we're still a good six months or so from a cash bonus.

As they arrive at the right side of door number two, Frank quips "You want that little kiss?"

Bob: No kisses, Frank! During one of the messages, we were talking about little kisses from the girls, Frank. But not from you! Now, Frank, look what we have behind these doors.

(cue Pink Panther)

It's Safe Crackers! Anitra opens the safe to reveal...

A floor clock with a bar! It's basically one of those enameled grandfather clocks, but where the pendulum would be, it opens to reveal shelves containing bar glassware and for storing drinks. Kinda cool.

Also, a desk and chair whose price acts as the combination today. No brand names given on either prize. It's a prize package worth $2872!

The numbers in the price today are 9, 4, and 7. With no zero or five, this could be tricky.

Frank carefully considers each number and makes a price of $974. He turns that wheel and pulls the handle...

OPEN

Frank wins! After Bob says "There's more Price is Right coming up", Frank kisses him!

Stay tuned for more pricing games and the fabulous showcases, which are coming up on the second half of TPIR!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: Hey, Johnny! Who's headed our way now?
Johnny: Hey, Bob! It's Karen Grafton! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on TPIR! (Early 30s brunette in a weird-looking blue and gray striped sleeveless top with a sailor collar and blue pants)

5. Universal Rundle vanity sink (Anitra)

Karen: $360
Eliseo: $290
Wanda: $425
Susan: $200

ARP: $280. Susan meets Bob at the top of the winner's stairs and immediately touches his hair.

Susan: I gotta touch your hair. It looks so perfect. It can't be real! (Johnny laughs)
Bob: You what? You don't think it's real? (Susan say no and touches it.)
Susan: It's real. It's really real.
Bob: Did you think it was not real?
Susan: Well, somebody said you had a toupee like Howard Cosell. (giggles)

Johnny, Bob and the audience crack up.

Bob: I've been accused of a lot of things, but never having toupee like Howard Cosell!

Susan says he doesn't need one and because turnabout is fair play, he tugs on her hair to make sure it's real before showing her that she can win....

(doors open)

A Eureka vacuum and a Hammond Sounder One organ, both modeled by Dian. Then those are whisked away to reveal...

A NEW CAR! (Janice)

Johnny: A new 1976 Buick Skylark with high-energy ignition powered by an economical V-6 engine for efficient and optimum fuel economy. The Buick Skylark for '76 is equipped with turbo hydromatic transmission, bumper guards, dual horns, and power windows. Bob?

Susan has Ten Chances to win all three of those prizes. Starting with the vacuum.

7-0-5

1. 70. No.
2. 57. No.
3. 75. No. There's only one other combination that makes sense...
4. 50. $50 Finally! Onto the organ.

6-2-3-5

5. 623. No. She actually at first wrote down 6235, literally just copying the numbers from the list before Bob corrected her!
6. 652. No!
7. 563. No! Susan grunts in frustration.
8. 635. No.
9. 653. No!
10. 325. No. It was $625. I'll give Susan credit; she was fairly quick with her guesses even if they weren't always good ones.

And we'll be back with another contestant from our studio audience after this!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: Johnny, who is gonna be contestant number four down here?
Johnny: Gonna be Howard Lesser! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on TPIR! (Early 30s dark-haired man with receding hairline in a tan shirt and pants that look like a patrolman uniform)

Bob asks him what he does and he responds almost bashfully "I work with the drunk drivers for the L.A.P.D.".

Bob: (taking a second to process that) You work with drunk drivers?
Howard: I work in the drunk tank. I wash them down.
Bob: That why...where these folks [the audience] came from, huh? (audience applauds) I thought this was an exciting audience! You brought them to us, Howard!

6. Mahogany storage chest (Janice)

Howard: $375
Karen: $420
Eliseo: $290
Wanda: $300

BZZZ! BZZZ! BZZZ! BZZZ! All overbid. Go lower than $290.

Howard: $250
Karen: $220
Eliseo: $195
Wanda: $251

ARP: $250. Newcomer Howard got it exactly right and sends long-time struggler Wanda off the FFBC.

Bonus Game is coming around on the turntable. In addition to the four small prizes, Howard can win the Aeolian Sting player piano! A bonus worth $2615! (Anitra) The third $2000-plus prize offered today. Pretty impressive for 1976.

Prize #1: Wicks 'N Sticks owl-shaped candle ($168)

Howard says lower, but he's wrong! It's $185.

Prize #2: Wellstronic ignition system ($45)

Howard says higher and is right! It's $50.

Prize #3: Westclox AM/FM clock radio ($71)

Howard says lower. Right! It's $68.

Prize #4: St. Mary's bath towels and rugs ($40)

Howard says higher and makes it three out of four! It's $46.

The only thing that could go wrong is for the bonus to be in the first window. Light it up!

X
* BONUS

It's in window number two and Howard has the piano!

We're ready for showcase showdown number two after this message!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Susan: 55¢ STAYS
Howard: 80¢ STAYS
Frank: 90¢ WIN!

Frank will be in the showcase after this!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top winner: Frank
Runner-up: Maxine

Bob: Frank, you have ended up as the top winner in the showcase. Is there anything that you would like to say to America?
Frank: (deadpan) God bless America. (everyone applauds)

Bob also talks briefly to Maxine, who is majoring in advertising design with a minor in business. He explains the rules of the showcase and asks Frank what happens if either he or Maxine is less than $100 away.

Frank: (smiling, deadpan) You tell me.
Bob: I will! You win both showcases! That's what happens.
Frank: (calmly) You're jivin'.
Bob: That's what happens!

Showcase #1: Every room
* First, for the bedroom, a round bed from Oklahoma Furniture. (Dian)
* For the dining room, a Kalp-son rattan dinette set. (Janice)
* For the kitchen, an Admiral refrigerator-freezer. (Anitra)
* Finally, for the living room, a Zenith Avanti home entertainment center (25" TV with built-in AM/FM stereo and 8-track player and two speakers; Janice)

And this showcase can be yours if the price is right!

Frank passes to Maxine. She bids $5000, much to the audience's disapproval.

Showcase #2

"Your showcase contains all the prizes you'll need to help you become a connoisseur of wine. And first, you can become an expert on the joys of wine with this lavishly-illustrated volume." (Book entitled "The Joys of Wine" wheeled out on a stand by Anitra)

"And after you've chosen that special wine, you can serve it to your guests in this beautiful crystal decanter set!" (Waterford Crystal decanter and four goblets and wine cart imported from Italy, wheeled out by Janice)

"Now, undoubtedly, you'll find many wines that you'll enjoy. And you can store these different wines in your new wine storage cabinet!" (Viking Sauna Wine Vault, modeled by Dian)

"And finally, truly a wine lover's dream. A trip to the center of the wine world, France!" (trip for two to Paris with a seven-day wine tasting tour of Bordeaux which includes a rental car; Anitra)

"And this showcase for the wine connoisseur can be yours if the price is right!"

Frank bids $3200. Because of the audience's negative reaction to Maxine's bid, Bob decides to start with her.

Maxine bid $5000 and the actual retail price of her showcase is...$3849. OVER! (The every room showcases back then tended to be on the cheaper side, and I think the audience kind of knew that. Not to mention there wasn't much in Maxine's showcase to begin with.)

As long as Frank doesn't go over, he wins. He bid $3200 and the actual retail price is...$5393! He wins with a difference of $2193!

Frank wins $8640 in prizes! Bob Barker saying goodbye everybody!