Author Topic: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right  (Read 24855 times)

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Re: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:00 PM »
I'll try $599.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »
$700

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »
I have a strong suspicion that this thing is at least $1,000, but I'm not taking any more of a risk of being over than necessary, so I'm gonna burn out LiteBulb88's light bulb and say $701

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:22 PM »
I have a strong suspicion that this thing is at least $1,000, but I'm not taking any more of a risk of being over than necessary, so I'm gonna burn out LiteBulb88's light bulb and say $701

*gives laugh from his third row seat*
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2021, 09:46:46 PM »
Oh come on Nate, you’re not supposed to be giving guidance about the IUFBs! At least wait for the buzzing sounds to come out  :P

I bet Dwayne wishes there were a rule that if everyone overbid, the PG is skipped.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2021, 09:55:06 PM »
Oh come on Nate, you’re not supposed to be giving guidance about the IUFBs! At least wait for the buzzing sounds to come out  :P

I bet Dwayne wishes there were a rule that if everyone overbid, the PG is skipped.

I know, I was just laughing about GSF's joke.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2021, 05:17:34 AM »
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*

Four bids all playing it relatively safe... let's see if you were right. The Actual Retail Pr---

*BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!*

Uh oh, that sound means that all four of you have overbid. We still want you to win that blender, so we'll give the four of you a second chance.

*Dwayne rests his palm on his forehead; now they're going to have to pay for an extra two minutes of studio time, too!*

The lowest bid is $500. Erase the bids, please! tpiradam, bid lower than $500.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
I didn't realize we had taken a trip back to the 90s. I'll go with $449 this time.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2021, 05:52:41 PM »
I didn't realize we had taken a trip back to the 90s. I'll go with $449 this time.

*laughs from seat at Adam's joke* Again, I'm just laughing at the joke, I'm not giving guidance for bids.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2021, 06:29:00 PM »
On the real show, by this point, the prize would already be long out of sight and I'd have to remember what it looked like. But not here! I'm going back to the previous page to look at the blender again and no one can stop me!

...That didn't help. I'll just bid the $399 I was going to bid anyway.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2021, 08:59:20 PM »
It seems we've gone to a parallel universe where blenders are reasonably priced. In honor of the time travel, I'll bid $88.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2021, 02:47:26 AM »
Uhhhhhhh, $310 for me please...

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2021, 06:55:29 AM »
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*

And the Actual Retail Price--

*beat*

*a moment of silence*

Well, I guess we know that it's more than $88!

And the Actual Retail Price of that blender is...

GameShowFan9001, you're our winner!

Come up here on stage and follow me, GameShowFan! Right here, to the big doors!

Now, GameShowFan, we've offered blenders on the show today. We've offered trips. We've offered wonderful applicances and furniture. We've even offered a car. But GameShowFan, for YOU I have something very special. Open those doors and show GameShowFan what can be won!

It's a chance to win TE...

...uh... FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH!

*Dwayne discreetly tosses a spray-paint can to a stagehand offstage*

Uh, are we gonna get that... *glances off stage* ...no? Er... right! Five thousand dollars! And you can win it playing Half Off!

The te-- er, five thousand is hidden inside one of these sixteen boxes. The other fifteen are empty. Pick out the box with the money in it, and it's yours!

Now, you might think that 1-in-16 odds at winning the big money aren't terribly great odds. But never fear--you'll have a chance to improve your chances of finding that cash exponentially! We'll eliminate some of those empty boxes for you if you know a little something about the prices of these prizes. And won't you tell us about them, AnnouncerTron?

This stylish lime green hand mixer offers five speeds and 250 watts of power!

Pop six quarts of popcorn in three minutes with this stovetop popcorn maker!

This adorable 17" wall clock can have names and dates personalized as a one-of-a-kind memento for the loving couple!

Charge your devices and hold your accessories in style with this QI wireless charging tray, made from Italian leather and featuring three wireless coils to reduce deadzones!

This portable translator and two-way voice interpreter can translate 82 languages and includes a global SIM card and a two-year data plan!

And finally, this 3-in-1 breakfast maker can toast, griddle, and brew coffee all at once!

GameShowFan, you'll notice that each of those items are arranged in pairs. You'll also notice that each item has a price tag on it. Each pair has one item whose price is correct. The other is priced at half off! I will ask you to identify the product in each pair that is half off; each time you successfully do that, we'll remove half of the boxes!

We have the hand mixer at $15 and the popcorn maker at $25; which is half off?
We have the clock at $48 and the charging station at $175; which is half off?
And we have the portable translator at $130 and the breakfast maker at $50; which is half off?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2021, 08:41:36 AM »
LOL

*peanut gallery*

Mixer, clock, breakfast maker. A popcorn popper is literally just a glorified pan, apparently we are so out of budget, we stole a custom clock from someone’s wedding (I think the trap here is it’s customizable, which might increase its value), the last one is more of a gut feeling that it literally just has to be a microphone connected to the internet, so you’re practically paying for only the data plan.

If we’re leaving things to chance, let’s at least guarantee we take $1,000 away from him (unless that bonus is halved also for some arbitrary reason)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
apparently we are so out of budget, we stole a custom clock from someone’s wedding (I think the trap here is it’s customizable, which might increase its value)

Or maybe it was cheaper to obtain - perhaps no longer correct as the wedding may have had to be moved out of 2020? ;)