Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021  (Read 11971 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2021, 01:25:31 AM »
I'm also not necessarily sold on the idea of playing a pricing game which requires zero knowledge of current, present day prizes and the like (someone could likely counter that Now....or Then is also like this but that is incorrect; you can know the prices of everything "NOW" and know that the prices that don't match are "THEN"s).
I guess you aren't aware that Now...or Then requires literally no pricing knowledge at all and can be won 100% of the time by simply knowing that exactly 2 of the 6 products are "THEN".
http://slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/11/winning_the_price_is_right_strategies_for_contestants_row_plinko_and_the.html

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
I like Back to '72 a lot.  Great job on the retro look.  They could have made the TV look a little better. And the TNPIR logo at the bottom looked a little off to me.   This is basically Cliff Hangers with 50 steps instead of 25 which is fine.  (I don't think the scale is necessary and only reminds people of Cliff and Range Game.)   They could just use 3 prizes all each under $50 without providing a range and people will get the hang of it.  Too bad they didn't use the 1972 SP cues.  That definitely would add the the retro feel they are going for.  Nevertheless, good to see a new game, and as I have said previously, after this season is over, they can just call it Back to the '70s and show the year each of the 3 prizes appeared (e.g. first one from 72, then 73, then 74, etc.).    I would love to see this game played almost weekly this season for regular prizes, trips and even a retro car reproduction to keep w/ the theme!

And yes, this was intended to be Monday's show by the references made and it still should have been.  They could have opened the show with the debut of this brand new game that celebrates this historic milestone since the $50K win was very likely, and bury $1Million Plinko as game 6.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
I guess you aren't aware that Now...or Then requires literally no pricing knowledge at all and can be won 100% of the time by simply knowing that exactly 2 of the 6 products are "THEN".
http://slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/11/winning_the_price_is_right_strategies_for_contestants_row_plinko_and_the.html

Oh, don't worry, I was. I've read all of LiteBulb's stuff (which is excellent, by the way) and remember running into that exact article which he linked to. :)

I was arguing strictly from a pricing perspective, but if nothing else, you just further proved my point that knowledge of what items cost during the "THEN" date isn't necessary in that game.

Online BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »
Oh, don't worry, I was. I've read all of LiteBulb's stuff (which is excellent, by the way) and remember running into that exact article which he linked to. :)

I was arguing strictly from a pricing perspective, but if nothing else, you just further proved my point that knowledge of what items cost during the "THEN" date isn't necessary in that game.

And that thought isn't totally true.  Without knowing which 2 are the Then you may still make an error(s) that stop you from winning.

For instance, you pick 2 Now correctly.  Go to pick the 3rd for the win and say now and it is then.  Now to win you are forced to pick the one on the other side of the 2 correct - if you get that wrong you can no longer win, and you don't know for certain which one it is.

Theoretically, you could try the other ones first, but no one does that and would that even be permitted if someone tried?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
And that thought isn't totally true.  Without knowing which 2 are the Then you may still make an error(s) that stop you from winning.

For instance, you pick 2 Now correctly.  Go to pick the 3rd for the win and say now and it is then.  Now to win you are forced to pick the one on the other side of the 2 correct - if you get that wrong you can no longer win, and you don't know for certain which one it is.

Theoretically, you could try the other ones first, but no one does that and would that even be permitted if someone tried?

I never even knew that it was only 2 that were Then. Has that always been the case? Seems like it could easily be exploited...almost too much so.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
I never even knew that it was only 2 that were Then. Has that always been the case? Seems like it could easily be exploited...almost too much so.
Since the late 90s, at least.

Seems like it could easily be exploited...almost too much so.

If every contestant were the type to track the show’s stats and memorize counterintuitive-seeming strategies and flowcharts, the game would never, ever be lost again.

Fortunately for the show, that isn’t the case.

Drew would raise an eyebrow and the audience would boo, but no, no rule against bouncing around the board.

(although that could change if more than a few people tried the strategy)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2021, 02:58:29 PM »
Insanity: doing the same exact thing over and over expecting different results.

Million Dollar Plinko is insanity.
Once again, Million Dollar Plinko is insanity.
They'll never learn.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »
I guess they figure if they can get one center slot hit, someone can do it at least once again or even two times. But yes, million dollar Plinko is tiring.

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2021, 02:46:15 AM »
I love new logo and now the doors are cool.
I love Back to 72' too. It's a Small Prizes Game? The contestant wins the items?

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2021, 07:03:18 PM »
Congratulations to Drew Carey on making it to his 15th season! I've been one of his harshest critics, but he has really made this show his own. Some of his best hosting has come since the pandemic, having to host under the worst of circumstances. He deserves a ton of credit for becoming the Steve Young of game shows.

As for Back to 72, it's a great game. No problems with it whatsoever. $50,000 feels like too high a prize for a normal show, but reduce the prize size and you've got a great game for the next nine months or so.

I have no earthly idea why the contestant refused to drop any of her 4 Plinko chips down the middle. Hit just one of them, and she makes 20 times what she made by avoiding the middle. Hit two of them, and your life is completely changed. Fortune favors the bold.