Author Topic: 2022 NFL Season  (Read 26350 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2022 NFL Season
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2023, 09:33:31 AM »
If he passes away, call off the season and make the Super Bowl a memorial service instead.

No. Do some postponing if needed, but you do not wipe out the rest of the season and the playoffs. It's scary and sad, but you don't get that morbid.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
Indeed so; that would probably be unfair to the other teams who've worked hard to get where they are now.  If anything were to be cancelled, just the last week of the regular season would suffice (but only if a supermajority of at least 2/3rds of the teams agree to it, and, given the playoff teams under this scenario would likely enter the playoffs with their current seedings, that the teams that were in the hunt for a spot but fell short would be compensated, perhaps with extra draft picks come April). 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2023, 11:07:15 AM »
No chance that even happens.  A delay is the likely course here, and I don't even think that'll happen either.  They probably would only cancel games with teams that are already out.  It would have to be games where both teams have been eliminated.  You couldn't cancel Minnesota/Chicago since the Vikings need to win (and get some help) to move up.

Draft picks, while a nice thing, is not enough.  If you're a fan or part of Seattle or Pittsburgh, that would suck if something were to get cancelled.  Though to be fair, both teams probably aren't doing much anyway if they get in.

There is some discussion elsewhere that Buffalo might not be in the right mindset to play this weekend vs New England
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2023, 12:31:06 PM »
In good faith, I'm not sure if resuming the season as scheduled would be a good move. Depending on how you look at it, the Bills and the Bengals would have to make up the suspended game and a full one before the playoffs. And they'd both be playing with heavy hearts. The NFL may need to come to a consensus on how to handle things. If it results in a week getting delayed or even cancelled so the playoffs don't get affected, so be it.

Damar Hamlin is still in critical condition two days after his collapse. Even if we hear encouraging signs, there's still no guarantee since he's had to be resuscitated twice. It's still pretty much a wait and see regarding his condition.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2023, 01:16:03 AM »
I agree it's a wait & see scenario.  It'll take at least several days based on legit speculation before everyone learns of his status.  It would be awesome for a nice recovery as soon as possible, but I'm not sure about that.  The goal is for a full recovery for a young man with a ton of living to do.  It's going to take some time, and fortunately the right people were on the field at the right time on Monday in a situation that may have been the end had it occurred almost anywhere else.

The thing is that this already affects the postseason.  Maybe not directly, but the teams & venue.  Whatever happens is what occurs.  Many will not be okay with it, but at the end of the day, when the final decision plays out, it will be after going through all the scenarios and making a tough call.

I'm too busy to get too upset over it; someone else will be making the call, not me.  It doesn't affect me one bit.  There might be some effect toward the team I root for but it's minimal at most.  Even TPTB from the team I root for mentioned that on Tuesday.  They're too focused on their own team & their own game, and Hamlin's health.

I just don't think they're making big time changes.  I can't blame Cincinnati and Buffalo for whatever they decided to do, but I imagine they're going to want to do whatever it takes to stay strong and move forward in honor of Damar Hamlin.  I don't know how they're feeling or going to feel, but if I had to guess, they'll do whatever it takes to get back on the field, WHILE still focused & caring for Damar.  Both teams have already made steps toward that; all the best for everyone involved.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »
Damar's GoFundMe page for his charity has now reached $7 million. Out of potential tragedy comes the milk of human kindness.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2023, 11:10:05 AM »
The Bills report that Hamlin's lungs are on the mend, and while still in critical condition he's improving and is awake. Good reports.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2023, 11:32:14 AM »
Two key words from the recent statement.  "Neurologically intact"

Pretty much positive news as it relates to the well-being of this young man this morning.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2023, 02:30:30 PM »
The docs say he's communicating through writing on a notepad. His first comment: "Did we win?"
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:17 PM »
In what I think is the best decision (but not the best timing), the NFL will cancel the Week 17 MNF game.

Here are the scenarios in the aftermath of the decision to "declare" Bills/Bengals as no contest

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2023, 11:20:50 AM »
Former Cleveland RB Peyton Hillis is in hospital in critical  condition but is improving after rescuing his children from drowning at a beach in Pensacola. More deets on it here.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2023, 10:28:25 PM »
Kansas City has earned the Number One seed.  Barring a Buffalo AFC Title Game appearance, Patrick Mahomes' first non-home playoff game against an AFC foe will have to wain until next year.  Really, Kansas City's last road postseason was in the 2015 season.

Winner take all in the AFC title game; Jacksonville may be eliminated from playoff contention if they can't come back from their deficit, Tennessee is done outright if they blow their lead & lose

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2023, 11:26:58 PM »
Jacksonville wins, takes the title from the team they overcame in Tennessee, who's out.  Rather painful loss but not really.  Tough pick and might be a very good game with Jacksonville hosting LA (and I am assuming that a Chargers loss AND a Ravens win will NOT happen)

Offline GameShowsRule95

• Outside in Line
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2023, 11:40:34 PM »
I don't think it's a good idea to call the Chargers "LA" when there are people such as myself still very bitter over their depature from San Diego where they really belong.