Author Topic: It’s Time for Pricing Game Retirements  (Read 8679 times)

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
It’s Time for Pricing Game Retirements
« on: January 15, 2023, 08:01:07 PM »
On the first show of 2023, Drew announced that Back to ‘7X would be returning to the pricing game rotation going forward with the title being updated to ensure that the reference point was always 50 years ago. The claim was that Back to ’72 was going to be for Season 50 only…but gotcha, that doesn’t stop them from changing the name and bringing it forward each year! I believe that not only should this game be retired but the pricing game rotation overall would do well to have some of the other games removed.

I understand that “every game is somebody’s favorite”, but there was an all time high in Season 50 where there were 79 pricing games in the active rotation. There are still only 1,140 pricing game slots each season, so a higher number of games means less playings for all and the continued pressure towards reducing run time means the shorter games need to get priority.

Here is a list of 5 games, in order, that I would retire and think the show would be better off without.

1. Back to ‘7X
While there are many games that take bits and pieces from others, Back to ‘7X is just easier Cliff Hangers with old prizes (which it took from Now or Then). It’s also hurting the other SP games to fit it into lineups – here’s the list of games that either tied or had their lowest number of appearances in Season 50 compared to Seasons 46 or 47 (Seasons 48 and 49 are unfair comparisons as due to COVID there were less episodes):
  • Cliff Hangers
  • Hot Seat
  • Pathfinder
  • Plinko
  • Secret "X"
  • Switcheroo
2. Magic #
Last played November 17, 2021, I’m just looking for an official word that this is no longer active. I hope we get the story eventually about what happened and can clear up the silly computer rumor, but it’s been set up inexplicably crazy for so long it’s just better to put it on the shelf and move on.

3. Time i$ Money
There are only 3 or 4 cash games played per week and Plinko is quite likely to take one spot, so there is no need to have 9 in the active rotation. With To The Penny being introduced there is now an excess of GP cash games. Time i$ Money remains difficult to fit with other games since it takes so long to play. While I would like to see Hot Seat in this spot instead, it seems like retiring Time would be the better choice (Hot Seat should have 1 of its SP’s removed to lower the run time too).

4. Shopping Spree
The longer multiprizers are under pressure based on time constraints and not giving away cash or cars. One of them needs to go to help the others, and this one is the most disposable to me based on being the least memorable and the gameplay being derivative of Most Expensive.

5. Check Game
The one on this list I would personally hate to lose the most. While it’s still fun to see contestants not know how to play the game, the show is quickly reaching the point where an explanation of checks themselves will also be required. Already removing the requirement to write out the rest of the check and fighting inflation, the game is just not the same as what it once was. Do The Math also now gives away money along with prizes in a similar way (Prize +/- Cash = Prize instead of Prize + Cash = Total). I might be interested in repurposing the mechanic in the future, but I think this game has unfortunately run its course.

Do you agree that some retirements are in order? Thoughts on different games besides the ones I suggested?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: It’s Time for Pricing Game Retirements
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
Gridlock is a chromed derivative of Money Game and really adds nothing to me.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline amazzola910

• Outside in Line
  • What a bonehead
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 10:40:05 PM »
If we have to retire a cash game, then it should be to the penny. Its rules are contrived and feel like they’re being made up on the spot, plus there’s too many fail-safes for a win to feel “right”. $25k also feels very high for a game that gives you all the answers. By far the weakest game introduced in the Drew era.

Back is one I like a lot. It’s not going to set the world on fire by any means, but it’s a fun little homage to the show’s past and is quite winnable and generous all around.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 10:42:46 PM »
I don’t think any games need to be retired - seeing every game at least once every three weeks is good enough, and there are going to be some games like Golden Road that simply would lose some of their charm if they got played even more than once a month. You mention 9 active cash games, but if one of them takes two weeks off on occasion, I don’t think that hurts anything.

Keep in mind too that even as late as season 22, games were still being played occasionally twice in a week, and that’s something I hope we don’t ever return to.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 11:09:59 PM »
I do agree with you about Back to 7x, Back to 72 was fun as a nod to 1972 for the show's 50th season, but it's not really necessary to play anymore. Even if they remade it with the same format using modern small prizes, it would just be Cliff Hangers with more room for error.

I'd rather see Magic # with a new set then just retired, and I was surprised they brought back Check Game with a new set a few years ago rather than retiring it since checks are becoming more and more a thing of the past. It does have its charm though. I disagree about Time is Money and Shopping Spree though.

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:59 PM »
Flebert,

This is actually a very interesting take on a topic that gets mentioned quite often here.

1) With Back to '7x, I know some people say that the game should stay retired, I think that it is a very interesting game to keep.  As long as you use SPs from exactly 50 years ago, I don't mind seeing this game back.  Now, you would have thought that Cliff Hangers would have taken a hit from plays, but that was not the case last season.

2) Magic # should not be retired. It was a very unique game on the show.  While I think that its plays got decreased due to Do the Math being in the rotation, I still think that the game is worth saving.  You could easily retool the game and it could have quicker gameplay and maybe help with decrease the plays of games like 1 Right Price, Bargain Game, Do the Math, and Switch.

3) I am going to put Hot Seat in Time Is Money's position here.  Hot Seat is nothing more than using Shell Game and Bonus Games higher or lower pricing game played for cash.  The game takes too long to play, Drew's explanation of the money distribution each and every play is so unnecessary (It's not done with It's In the Bag) and because of that your lineups with Hot Seat are not very good most of the time.

4) Shopping Spree is one of my least favorite 4P games on the show.  It's nothing more than Danger Price with the danger price being the lowest priced item.  I understand that it was created to have a quicker 4p, but I can see why they would want to keep this game around at the same time.  Notice that the total of the 4ps prizes is Shopping Spree is higher than Danger Price.  I wouldn't necessarily want to get rid of Shopping Spree, but I would not be sad if they retired that game to play Race, Danger, or Take Two more. 

5) Instead of Check Game, I would put Gridlock! on my list of games that could be considered.  Like mentioned earlier, it is nothing more than a variation of Money Game.  Of course, you want a game like Gridlock! to have more variety, but the powers that be do not know how to time this game.  They over time this particular game and that causes likes that are that good most of the time. 
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 01:32:46 PM »
Gridlock is a chromed derivative of Money Game and really adds nothing to me.

Gridlock is decent enough at its real job: prevent That's Too Much from getting played 30 times a year. It fills a void that needed to be filled. It's not close to one of my favorite games but you need a better quick car game waiting in the wings before killing this one.

If there's a multiprizer that needs to go away, I'd look at Swap Meet first.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »
Swap Meet isn't too dissimilar to Pick-a-Pair involving larger prizes with one chance, but there's a unique element where you don't get to see the price of one prize before you know the price of the other, so I'd keep that game. It could really use a set update, however. With that explained, I'll now provide my three games that I feel not only benefit the show's precious fee slots, but allow for some of my less than enthusiastic games to disappear with them.

Many fans have Stack to Deck as their least favorite active game, and I'm among them, mostly due to the brutal difficulty to win. It takes a GP spot too, and I'd much rather have Gridlock! instead. Sure, its quick for a car game, but its not exactly a pure quickie where it takes one decision to win or lose, and the freeway theme is a halfway decent given what you're playing for. Those extra Stack slots could go towards those cash/GP games  or other car/GP games like Hole In One, Pass The Buck, or even occasional regular grocery GP games with a NCFC. That's by far my #1 game I'd like to get the heave-ho the most.

A dark horse candidate would be to eliminate Triple Play. Sure, the concept of winning multiple cars isn't unique to this game, thanks to It's Optional. But if you were to win multiple cars on the show, just go with a car for winning your game and maybe another car for winning your Showcase. This would add slots for Golden Road and 3 Strikes, as rarely as they get played nowadays, or even provide a few more appearances of  More or Less, which ends with a car but allows you to keep everything you win along the way.

It was nice to see Card Game's return, and the theme still remains cool compared to TTM, but the pricing concept and inflation is what's killing this game's concept, and there are far too many losses recently. It usually takes considerably longer to explain and play as well, and if the game wasn't unretired, I wouldn't have been too upset. I'd much rather play the late Hit Me for a car since there is a unique set of skills that can usually result in a win.

That said, as you can see on the graph, there hasn't been a noticeable purge in games since Drew's earliest seasons. But effectively, I feel that the show would work best at around 60-70 games, enough where it doesn't feel too repetitive like in the early hourlong era, but not so many that it allows for many games to be reduced to monthly, bimonthly, or even quarterly appearances. The best way to balance would be by eliminating fee games or other games that take long to play like 10 Chances and by introducing quicker play games, and is why I would like to see an improved Magic #, the continuation of Shopping Spree (it's basically a reverse of the retired Credit Card), and Check Game since those would make all of the common non-fee games like ME, 1WP, 1RP, or Double Cross have even more appearances.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 03:24:48 PM »
Why would they retire any game if they don't absolutely have to

Offline StacksOfCash

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 04:40:36 PM »
I don't think they're in need of retiring anything. Pricing games get old when you see them too often. But if there's a need to trim some fat...

Gridlock: the worst themed game on the roster. It's money game where you pick 2 sets of 2 numbers out of two pools of 3, rather than 2 sets of 2 numbers out of one pool of 9. Has the least exciting reveal as its just "is that right?".

2 for the price of 1: This is basically safe crackers with a free number and the same lame "is that right?" reveal. The only time it ever gets exciting is if the large price is a car, but safe crackers has also done that before. At least Shopping Spree has the models revealing prices.

Triple Play: nothing says manufactured excitement more than this game. This game is only ever exciting because a contestant could win 3 cars, or nothing at all. And the worst part about it is... the 3rd, most expensive car, isn't even very flashy when compared to the cars you see on Golden Road or 3 strikes.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 04:04:59 AM »
Yeah, y'all would hate me as EP of Price.

I'd do an entire 4-show Farewell Week, play 24 different games one last time, then kill every last single one

Whether due to mechanical complexity, the "time commitment vs. prize quality vs. audience interest" 3d graph, "Wait, which game is that?" from focus groups, "you can do everything right and still lose because of dumb luck", or "specifically, to hell with Pick-a-Number" (ie: personal dislike): this show has entirely too many games (and is a big reason why your average person knows older games on sight but couldn't tell you Gridlock or Hot Seat to save their life).  In watching the Barker Era Pluto channel, it's struck me how well the show runs on a rotation of around 50 games +/- 5.

Back to 73
Balance Game
Bonus Game
Check-Out
Danger Price
Do the Math
Double Cross
Easy as 123
Freeze Frame
Gridlock
Hi Lo
Hot Seat
Line 'Em Up
Make Your Move
Pick-a-Number
Pocket Change
Secret X
Shopping Spree
Stack the Deck
Swap Meet
Switcheroo
Time is Money
2 for the Price of 1
Vend-O-Price

Several other games would get retools. Magic # gets a new prop AND the winner gets the amount on the display if they're right.  Check Game would no longer have a static range, it would change playing to playing (if you understand the game's mechanic it doesn't matter, if you don't you're probably screwed anyway). Bonus prizes people actually want for the "dining room" games ala Take Two.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:30:51 AM by Chelsea »

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 05:23:24 AM »
You do realize that Gridlock is what is stopping Lucky Seven from being played 30 or more times a year. The game serves it purpose. Thank god chelsea is not the executive producer the show would get stale fast when you start seeing the same games once or twice every single week.

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 05:24:43 AM »
The show is the best when there is between 70 to 80 active games IMO

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 06:37:19 AM »
Check Game would no longer have a fixed range (if you understand the game's mechanic it doesn't matter, if you don't you're probably screwed anyway).

With your retool, how would someone playing that game know what to do (in other words, what would you have the player doing if they no longer had to have their check total and the price of the prize to add up to between two numbers in a range [this is how I'm reading you here])?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 06:53:53 AM »
You do realize that Gridlock is what is stopping Lucky Seven from being played 30 or more times a year. The game serves it purpose. Thank god chelsea is not the executive producer the show would get stale fast when you start seeing the same games once or twice every single week.

Having grown up with the show in the classic era, I wouldn't have a problem with fewer pricing games within the rotation.  While it's nice for 79-80 games, the show did well for years when there were 4-5 dozen pricing games.  Plus, several games still get played (almost) every week while several others show up once in awhile (with several weeks to over a month between playings)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck