Author Topic: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
Drew carey likely has 5 years left at most before he retires as he's getting up there in age.

Who would you like to see replace him?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 08:41:48 PM »
70 years old won't be that old by game show host standards.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:42:39 PM »
Drew has like 20 years before he'll be as old as Bob when he retired, and currently isn't showing signs of slowing down.

Let's discuss this when the announcement comes, thanks. Preferably not for a lot longer than 5 years from now.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 08:49:15 PM »
It's going to be Victoria Justice in 2042.  You heard it from me first!

All "joking" aside, I'd be surprised, probably shocked if Drew called it quits within 5 years.  It's still too soon to bet that he'll host another 20 years, but I feel like another 10 years is reasonable enough.

More important, I think (I'm with pretty much everyone else in saying that) it's too soon to speculate a replacement unless Carey was miserable and/or got bored.  The guys has come a long way & really is in the best shape of his life IMO.  I didn't expect it 15 years ago, but as mentioned in chat not too long ago, there isn't anyone on Planet Earth that can do a better job than Drew Carey as TPIR host today.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 12:09:41 AM »
70 years old won't be that old by game show host standards.

Unlike Bob though, he starred in a scripted show which takes a lot more out of people than hosting a gameshow with a set routine.

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 12:11:20 AM »
It's going to be Victoria Justice in 2042.  You heard it from me first!

All "joking" aside, I'd be surprised, probably shocked if Drew called it quits within 5 years.  It's still too soon to bet that he'll host another 20 years, but I feel like another 10 years is reasonable enough.

More important, I think (I'm with pretty much everyone else in saying that) it's too soon to speculate a replacement unless Carey was miserable and/or got bored.  The guys has come a long way & really is in the best shape of his life IMO.  I didn't expect it 15 years ago, but as mentioned in chat not too long ago, there isn't anyone on Planet Earth that can do a better job than Drew Carey as TPIR host today.

Physically he is in the best shape. I'm a bit more worried about him mentally as for people who starred in an intensive comedic sitcom like drew, they tend to not be in business as long as pure game show or talk show hosts.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 12:20:05 AM »
It's way too soon to speculate. I can see Drew going at least another 10 years. We don't know who'll be in the running by then.

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 03:17:44 AM »
James Corden

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 11:54:14 AM »
I'm going to be that person and say "nobody" - when Drew retires the show will end.  Relax - that's probably still many years away.
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 02:39:19 PM »
I'm going to be that person and say "nobody" - when Drew retires the show will end.  Relax - that's probably still many years away.

This show will last forever and remain long after we pass away

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 02:42:55 PM »
James Corden

It would likely see a ratings decline as james corden is a polarizing comedian

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 04:29:42 PM »
It will probably be someone we've yet to hear about or is even 'famous' yet as Drew is many many years away from retirement. I wouldn't even be thinking about that now and just enjoy the show for what it is now.

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »
It will probably be someone we've yet to hear about or is even 'famous' yet as Drew is many many years away from retirement. I wouldn't even be thinking about that now and just enjoy the show for what it is now.

With all due respect, we won't know 100% sure when he will retire. I just made this prediction based on similar trajectories by other hosts that were turned from actors

I bet there were so many people assuring others trevor noah would be the host of daily show for many years only to quit last december.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 07:42:31 PM »
The difference is that The Daily Show's ratings have been in the toilet ever since Jon Stewart left. TPiR, while declining along with the rest of network TV as a whole, has maintained a very solid place at or near the top of the daytime ratings for a long time now.

Also consider that Bob voluntarily retiring from hosting was very much an anomaly. Most other game show hosts throughout history simply had their last show canceled and just couldn't land another gig, or switched genres/industries entirely. Barring some unforeseen debilitating health condition, there's simply no reason for Drew to consider retirement at all, especially given the relative lack of opportunities in showbiz for most 60+-year-old men...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:44:38 PM by SamJ93 »

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 08:49:04 PM »
The difference is that The Daily Show's ratings have been in the toilet ever since Jon Stewart left. TPiR, while declining along with the rest of network TV as a whole, has maintained a very solid place at or near the top of the daytime ratings for a long time now.

Also consider that Bob voluntarily retiring from hosting was very much an anomaly. Most other game show hosts throughout history simply had their last show canceled and just couldn't land another gig, or switched genres/industries entirely. Barring some unforeseen debilitating health condition, there's simply no reason for Drew to consider retirement at all, especially given the relative lack of opportunities in showbiz for most 60+-year-old men...

I hope you are right as I enjoyed drew carey.