Author Topic: 2023 NFL Season  (Read 18381 times)

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
Re: 2023 NFL Season
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2024, 10:20:33 PM »
The Swifties are a very passionate fanbase, so Taylor being there brings more people to watch which increases the ratings share
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2024, 11:24:04 PM »
New record. Across all platforms, SB58 drew an estimated average of 123.4 million viewers. Overall, some 202.4 million viewers were tuned into part of the telecast across CBS, Paramount+, Nickelodeon, Univision, the CBS Sports app and NFL digital properties. A flash poll from Numerator showed that 84% of the viewers watched for the halftime show, 45% watched for the commercials, and only 20% were the Swifties cheering for the Chiefs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 03:46:45 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2024, 10:47:51 AM »
With the above information, that's yet another L taken by the "I'm not watching the NFL anymore thanks to Taylor Swift!" crowd.  Probably the final & biggest one to date.  Definitely the latter.

Fieldsy put it best upthread.  Taylor's involvement is a very good thing, and everything that mattered trended upward.  There were discussions I had elsewhere with several people, including someone who said that they would fire someone on the spot if they questioned or commented on how they should pump the brakes on "so much TS coverage" since people want to watch the game.  I couldn't agree more.  Maybe I may not have been as swift but when business is booming, common sense should prevail over the opposite.

To clarify, I was saying that the NFL has been getting better & better for a long time, really since Roger Goodell took over.  Some changes have not been popular, but that's common in life in & out of sports.  The numbers have proven that people are watching despite saying that they're done watching.  So I was saying that the popularity has been increasing without Taylor.

That being said, Ms. Swift's arrival is top notch, and the numbers rose faster than it would have without her.  That is a fact.  While Super Bowl 58 would've broken the record, it's not an 8 Million mark without TS.  Maybe a million people or two, but what a crushing outcome!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2024, 11:51:03 AM »
Record Super Bowl ratings across the board for CBS parent company Paramount Global, so what do they do? They lay off 800 people.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2024, 12:08:55 PM »
Meh.  Those were expected to happen for several weeks.  So it wasn't out of nowhere.  Still not a pleasant look.  I think it would have been worse if it preceded the Super Bowl, but I think maybe wait a little big longer before moving forward
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2024, 07:12:15 PM »
For a second, I read that as 39 Million viewers.  Which was saddening for a second since I expect a much, much higher total.  I don't know if it'll be record breaking due to the Nickelodeon factor, but another factor (or two) might actually make a difference

Especially since the very first one had 41 million viewers (over two networks), and the total audience was that much smaller back then :)

to be fair nickelodeon for many places is a premium channel. I have not checked in a year or so it might now be on since channel lineups change occasionally but it definitely makes it less likely to be watched than the network channels. from what I can tell all the channels for the first three Super Bowls were network. I did record the Nickelodeon pregame at noon which made CBS and enjoyed it but since I do not have nickelodeon I did not watch that broadcast. some might buy the Disney Channel or another premium kids channel instead so they were not get nickelodeon. (it was not premium channel when I was a kid so I know it was not always that way) I think analog ending gave cable companies a bigger opportunity to up the charge of channels.

also I remembered after writing this post that the puppy bowl is a popular source to have kids watch during the Super Bowl. (at least that is where I watched as a kid) I am sure that is possibly leaking into Nickelodeon's numbers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 07:20:19 PM by Game Girl »