Poll

Which pricing games will NOT have their primetime debut this season?

Card Game
6 (6.2%)
Check Game
26 (26.8%)
Master Key
5 (5.2%)
Shopping Spree
8 (8.2%)
Stack the Deck
24 (24.7%)
Swap Meet
22 (22.7%)
All games will be played
6 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Pricing Games Not Ready For Primetime  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Pricing Games Not Ready For Primetime
« on: October 25, 2023, 10:41:48 PM »
With the report that we are getting at least 16 more primetime episodes this season, it should allow additional variety in the lineups since there are so many opportunities.

There are 6 current pricing games that have not appeared in a primetime episode. Which will still be left out of the nighttime fun by the end of the season?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing Games Not Ready For Primetime
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 10:50:16 PM »
The poll appears to not be working quite like I had hoped, I thought I gave everybody unlimited selections but you appear to only have one. If a mod can check it out it would be appreciated because there doesn't seem like much I can do on my end.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:35 PM »
I probably bet for every pricing game not named Swap Meet to make an appearance if I had to choose 5 of 6.  Stack The Deck isn't easy but it's always possible to win.  Shopping Spree would be lovely at night.  Swap Meet I can do without.  I still have never heard that pricing game come up with casual gameshow fans (of TPIR) when it comes to gameshow discussion including active (and unactive) pricing games
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 01:57:37 PM »
I think Stack the Deck won't make it, since it's so difficult. I think Swap Meet and Shopping Spree won't make it, since their sets are dated but not in a cool way (yet).

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 02:53:04 PM »
With the report that we are getting at least 16 more primetime episodes this season, it should allow additional variety in the lineups since there are so many opportunities.

They're out to kill me, I swear. regardless, I vote all will finally get in.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 06:02:54 PM »
Thanks to whoever fixed the poll.

I voted for Check Game and Stack the Deck. Check is confusing enough so raising the range for nighttime could present some challenges.

I think they know Stack is naturally difficult - so is That's Too Much, but at least it's quick and opens the way to play some other more exciting games.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 06:07:19 PM »
Has Pay The Rent been played at all in primetime?

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 06:11:02 PM »
Has Pay The Rent been played at all in primetime?

Pay The Rent was played on the Geniuses special last season.
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,33818.0.html

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 06:12:23 PM »
oh!

how quickly i forget when it was played in usual fashion and get melded with all the other losses

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 07:41:36 PM »
Card Game and Master Key I think will be next.

Swap Meet needs a set revamp.  It looks horrendously outdated.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline TPIRZippy

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 10:38:35 PM »
Check Game may be hard for people to understand, but if they tuned it right for primetime, they could try to force a win even for people who think that they are supposed to write the check for the price of the prize.  (e.g., Do a winning total range of like $10,000 to $12,000; play it with a prize worth $5500 so writing the check for that amount would win.  Or the range could be even higher, with the prize worth half of it.)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 05:43:12 AM »

Swap Meet needs a set revamp.  It looks horrendously outdated.

I always thought Swap Meet was meant to have a retro '50s or '60s look, á la Route 66. I think all it needs is a less '90s color palette.

I also think Swap Meet is just a dud of a game. The way the first prize is displayed out on the stage is kinda cool, but it's just a "point at a prize and let's see if you won" game that has four prizes in it, so it takes playings away from Race Game or Take Two.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 05:48:30 AM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 09:43:33 AM »
I still believe that there's room for each of these PGs to eventually make their nighttime debut, but I certainly prefer some games more than others.

There's no reason why Card Game can't be played with its own adjustable opening bids. Perhaps even introduce a $4,000 range card as well. The Vegas-inspired set looks great at night, just like Sin City itself. 

Since the displays for Check Game now handle five digits, I'd go all out and play it for a CAR. Just make the range $30,000-$35,000.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a nighttime playing of Master Key, since its pretty well-liked, and can be played just like almost any other car game, even some others that aren't as well liked such as Gridlock or Line 'Em Up.

I feel Shopping Spree is very due to turn up and I enjoy it more than Swap Meet, but come on, if you're trying to have more wins at night, choose it over Danger Price.

I voted against Stack, but I wouldn't be surprised if it unexpectedly pops up, but if it does, at least play it for a luxury car or make the GPs noticeably easier (i.e. a bar of candy over a bag of chips with $4.99 the given price).

My primetime fantasy for Swap Meet: play for four trips, as you can easily have a resort credit at one hotel to make a match.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 06:06:10 PM »
I always thought Swap Meet was meant to have a retro '50s or '60s look, á la Route 66. I think all it needs is a less '90s color palette.

I also think Swap Meet is just a dud of a game. The way the first prize is displayed out on the stage is kinda cool, but it's just a "point at a prize and let's see if you won" game that has four prizes in it, so it takes playings away from Race Game or Take Two.

I've always thought of Swap Meet as "A three-prize game that desperately wants to be a four-prize game". Yeah, it's different, but spaghetti with chocolate sauce and topped with three week old butter is different, too.

A new color palette would hurt, either.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 03:33:29 AM »
Check Game