Author Topic: Pay the Rent on hiatus  (Read 5223 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Pay the Rent on hiatus
« on: December 07, 2023, 06:11:48 PM »
According to a member who attended a taping recently, Pay the Rent is on hiatus.

It is on hiatus.  The set is too big to be played behind door 2.  Right now, they are deciding whether to do a set change or scrap the game.  I asked about the game during a commercial break

Nine weeks into the season, Pay the Rent is the only game (besides Magic Number) yet to be played at Haven.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Pay the Rent on hiatus
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 06:34:06 PM »
Not a shocker.  Still a little sad, but it is what it is.

I'm not "a thousand percent" certain about the actual dimensions, but would it be easier to just have the game at center stage (RGC)?  Again, not sure the measurements between the big doors, turntable, GPT, and RGC.

Hopefully they can recreate it or do something new and luxurious down the road
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 06:42:49 PM »
Flashing back to 2010...when there was a large, vocal distaste for Pay the Rent.
If I said the reason it got (potentially) retired was because Price had to move studios and the prop was too big I would have gotten laughed off the forum.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 09:34:19 PM »

I'm not "a thousand percent" certain about the actual dimensions, but would it be easier to just have the game at center stage (RGC)?  Again, not sure the measurements between the big doors, turntable, GPT, and RGC.

With as tight as that studio is, I don't see how they would be able to get the game in a single shot if it was center stage, save having a jib camera clear back over the audience.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 04:00:32 AM »

Nine weeks into the season, Pay the Rent is the only game (besides Magic Number) yet to be played at Haven.

Wasn't Magic # retired?

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 04:32:02 AM »
Is a problem to put the Home outside the door and in the center of the stage?

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 11:58:24 AM »
Wasn't Magic # retired?

Yes, but that was due more to problems with the aging computer inside the game.

Offline C8

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »

A $60 Raspberry Pi could be programmed in 10 minutes to operate Magic # if that were the true problem. Presumably the lever triggered a switch or position sensor that told the computer up (and turned on the up light), a switch or position sensor that told the computer down (and turned on the down light), and neutral for stop. Getting that to work on something like a Pi would be a matter of getting the lever connected such that the Pi sensed the state of the switch or sensor and then programming it (easy to do in something like Python) to change numbers by a certain interval over a certain time (direction determined by the switch that was active). A little bit more complicated than that but not by much. Expensive in 1992 but insanely cheap and easy in 2023.

I thought it was retired because because 4 digit prizes were getting to be quite a bit above the $1000 to $2000 for the lower priced prize and contestants weren't going high enough to get into the magic range (even when the range between the two prizes came to be absurd). That and/or it took too long with nothing happening while someone held the up lever.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:16:04 PM by C8 »

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 12:39:03 PM »
Actually, Magic # is on hiatus as well.  I brought up the game during a commercial break in November.  Magic # is still in the warehouse and they are still deciding what to do.
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 01:39:20 PM »
I thought it was retired because because 4 digit prizes were getting to be quite a bit above the $1000 to $2000 for the lower priced prize and contestants weren't going high enough to get into the magic range (even when the range between the two prizes came to be absurd). That and/or it took too long with nothing happening while someone held the up lever.

A simple fix for that would to just give the contestant the magic number in cash if they win. That might result in a less tentative attitude from contestants.

Getting back on track, I highly doubt it, but if Rent truly is retired, I’ll be upset. I know that it wasn’t well-liked, but I loved that the game was a math puzzle disguised as a pricing game.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 02:00:25 PM »
Flashing back to 2010...when there was a large, vocal distaste for Pay the Rent.

It's the only pricing game I can think of where deception was a principal part of the game's design and very knowingly exploited for effect.

There's a big difference in a game being setup for a loss and the type of deception historically involved in Pay the Rent.  A car with a price of $19,191 in Lucky Seven is definitely put there to be lost with the way most contestants play the game, but it's not as if a contestant applying a little logic and skill (or just outright studying the cars on the show to know the different price combinations with different options by checking against the manufacturer's suggested retail prices) cannot win the game; or viewed another way, it's not as if the game is usually going to be lost right out of the gate on the first action by the contestant.

Contrast that with Pay the Rent, where the perception si "put the least expensive item in the mailbox", and while I suppose you can engineer a setup where this can be true, the fact is that it so often wasn't true (and a contestant could be smart enough to do the math to figure this out, but let's face it: Most of Price's contestants since the '90s haven't been the brightest bulbs); and the moment the contestant made his first pick, the game was already over.  Golden Road or 3 Strikes may be lost more often than won, but at least there is (usually) some element of buildup in excitement rather than being brought to a losing conclusion immediately.  Eventually the powers that be realized that having a game that has no random element to it, such as the bouncing of a Plinko chip, never being won makes for poor television and started to at least engineer some possible wins.

A $60 Raspberry Pi could be programmed in 10 minutes to operate Magic # if that were the true problem.

Considering all the other stunts they have pulled, including "superfans", why not put it to the "superfans" to fix Magic #?  Make a contest out of it to get around union rules (though if it really is that simple, then you shouldn't need a publicity stunt to fix a pricing game).

Then start the game at $1,000 or whatever opening bid you want a la Card Game.  Really, if contestants are not going to apply a little thinking and a little patience to wait for the number to climb and get it somewhere above the price of the lower-priced prize, then you can't hope for them to win.  It always amazed me how many contestants barely pushed the number past $1,200.  It seemed to me contestants seemed to think they were supposed to set the magic number as the difference between the prices of the two prizes (a tall order, which really wouldn't make sense).  There's more "Range Game syndrome" happening here than there really ought to be.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 03:37:35 PM »
Considering all the other stunts they have pulled, including "superfans", why not put it to the "superfans" to fix Magic #?  Make a contest out of it to get around union rules (though if it really is that simple, then you shouldn't need a publicity stunt to fix a pricing game).

The union is more than capable of doing that themselves, if that were the sole issue.

My personal theory is there wasn't any single issue that broke the game (they clearly tried a bunch of ways to get more wins and spent the money to move the prop to Haven), but eventually it just ended up not being worth the effort to save the game compared to trotting out Switch or 1 Right Price more often.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 03:42:34 PM »
Nick,

The show does something good for the "superfans" and you think it is a stunt?  Drew has been host for 17 years now.  Roger has been gone from the show for 16 years.  If you think that Roger is coming back to produce the show, it is not happening.  The show is in good hands now.  Roger is retired and celebrating his 1st grandchild now. 
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 04:28:21 PM »
Not to mention, Price still gets great ratings. If it didn't, it would've ended around 2009 or so (this was when CBS was getting rid of Guiding Light and As the World Turns, themselves long-running daytime staples), or at the very least Drew would've been gone.

Some people may bring up how longevity doesn't equal competence, and they may be right in some ways (e.g. Brian France and his 15-year destruction of NASCAR). But if so many people here are satisfied after that rough patch that was seasons 36 and 37, and if the ratings back up the changes done by the Carey/Richards/Warfel regime, well...

I also doubt the show would be half as good (or still airing) if Dob stayed. Let's be real: he had long let the game show world pass him by by 2008, what with the continuing use of old-fashioned tech.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:33:25 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 06:31:49 PM »

This idea that a computer is preventing Magic # from being played is tired, played out, and has no actual evidence supporting it, other than a brief entry in the FAQ indicating that it can't be played first due to its computer. Was it even using the same computer? As somebody else pointed out, it would be fairly trivial to switch to something like a Raspberry Pi or some sort of similar device that can easily read and control relays.

The real reason behind Magic # not being played is clear - it's a boring game that should never be lost.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.