Author Topic: The One Bid round should be removed  (Read 953 times)

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
The One Bid round should be removed
« on: January 21, 2024, 05:30:49 PM »
I know it may sound blasphemy to suggest it's removal but the order of who can bid first ensures that some people will be shut out due to the $1 dollar increment difference between some bids. That isn't fair.

If we call people directly to play a pricing game, then you can fit 2 more pricing games per hour and have 4 people per showcase showdown round. I would hate to lose eligibility for 10 years just because someone bid a dollar over you.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The One Bid round should be removed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 05:45:34 PM »
52 years and counting.

No.

Did you really join to make this ridiculous statement?

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 05:46:54 PM »
52 years and counting.

No.

Price is right changed drastically from its previous format in 1972. A change can also work well next year too

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 05:47:33 PM »
52 years and counting.

No.

I'm here to participate overall

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 05:56:11 PM »
Price is right changed drastically from its previous format in 1972. A change can also work well next year too

What's so special about next year that they should upend their format during it?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 06:11:41 PM »
What's so special about next year that they should upend their format during it?

Nothing particularly special. Just maybe feel it's time.

You aren't anything special either, especially since your homophobic rants towards me a decade ago

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 06:13:56 PM »
last time we had a version of TPIR completely skip Contestants'/Bidder's Row... it was the Davidson series

do we want a repeat of that?

besides, that part of the formula has been there ever since even Bill Cullen's original format

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 06:16:08 PM »
I know it may sound blasphemy to suggest it's removal but the order of who can bid first ensures that some people will be shut out due to the $1 dollar increment difference between some bids. That isn't fair.

If we call people directly to play a pricing game, then you can fit 2 more pricing games per hour and have 4 people per showcase showdown round. I would hate to lose eligibility for 10 years just because someone bid a dollar over you.

While it's not cool to lose eligibility for a decade for one's failure to get out of contestants row (used to be lifetime BTW), one thing to keep in mind is that fifth to ninth contestants get to bid first.  If they know the price & get it right, that would shut out everyone else who has yet to bid.

No reason to do away with One Bid.  For one, it's a game show.  Furthermore, there have been several contestants over past half century called down as late as ninth that made it out.  Most of them didn't have to bid perfectly either.  Many more that didn't get on stage that had six chances to get out of contestants row but failed to do so.

I have to disagree here.  I think the current format is fine.  As mentioned, it sucks that people didn't make it out, but life's not fair.  For what it's worth, many more don't even get called down, so there's that
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 06:17:11 PM »
last time we had a version of TPIR completely skip Contestants'/Bidder's Row... it was the Davidson series

do we want a repeat of that?

besides, that part of the formula has been there ever since even Bill Cullen's original format

Slavery existed for centuries too yet was eventually abolished

Offline Oscar Nandy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 06:18:31 PM »
While it's not cool to lose eligibility for a decade for one's failure to get out of contestants row (used to be lifetime BTW), one thing to keep in mind is that fifth to ninth contestants get to bid first.  If they know the price & get it right, that would shut out everyone else who has yet to bid.

No reason to do away with One Bid.  For one, it's a game show.  Furthermore, there have been several contestants over past half century called down as late as ninth that made it out.  Most of them didn't have to bid perfectly either.  Many more that didn't get on stage that had six chances to get out of contestants row but failed to do so.

I have to disagree here.  I think the current format is fine.  As mentioned, it sucks that people didn't make it out, but life's not fair.  For what it's worth, many more don't even get called down, so there's that

Those people that don't get called down at least retain eligibility. And bidding first can actually be worse because unless you know the exact price, someone can outbid you by a dollar

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 06:35:22 PM »
...where are these people coming from?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 06:41:08 PM »
Easy. This guy's been around before. He starts a post, constantly responds to it when people disagree with him and accuses the staff of false homophobic charges. He's gone. Again.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won