Author Topic: Recap: March 19, 1985 (Episode 5652D )  (Read 277 times)

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Recap: March 19, 1985 (Episode 5652D )
« on: February 02, 2024, 06:15:33 PM »
Opening title graphic: "I CAN"T BELIEVE IT"

Here it comes , TV's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes...
the fabulous 60-minute Price is Right!

DEBRA BELLINGER, COME ON DOWN!
BENJAMIN MACKULLLA (SP?), COME ON DOWN
AMBER PRUCE (?), COME ON DOWN
MICHELLE ESTUS, COME ON DOWN

YOU ARE THE FIRST 4 CONTESTANTS ON "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

.... you know what, you guys know the rest of this spiel

1st 4 Order: right to left

Before the start of the gameplay, Bob  points out a "miserable" member of the audience and jokingly asks the pages to remove him.

IUFB1 (on the Tug Boat): Captain's Bunk Bed
Barndoor Furniture (Solid pine, storage below the bottom bunk)
BIDS
Michelle:$345 Amber:$545 Benjamin:$570 Debra:$535
ARP:$560 (Amber wins)

PG1:
Blank Check for a Polaris snowmobile
Amber's day job is revealed to be a construction worker prior to playing that game, while Bob comments that she is a "lazy construction worker" after looking at her hands)
Range: $3,000-$3,500
Amber's check: $1,500
Snowmobile price:$2,549
total: $4,049 (OVER.... Time for the VOID stamp)

Before the second call down, Bob goes down to the audience to talk to a special member of the audience... a 5 year old boy from Massachusetts named David Ellis (possibly a Make-a-Wish deal).

David's favorite game: Hole in One (they then talk about that game, including the inspiration putts)

All 3 regular models then showcase a prize package just for David with model train sets, teddy bears, toy trucks, various Transformers figures, and other toys (things they thought a 5 year old in 85 would like) from behind the Giant Price Tag.

A member of the TPIR staff did a survey with 5 year old boys to see what they liked (factoring into the toys featured in David's special package).

David also asks Johnny for the next player, who is....

WILLIAM CHAMBERLAND, COME ON DOWN!
YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT

IUFB2: A rounded 32 gallon fish aquarium
Bids (starting with William in the blue spot)
$651 $79 $1,000 $650

*THE SOUNDS OF CLANGING*
Either we have a runaway train, or someone bid perfectly for a $100 bonus!

While everyone wonders why William bid 79 bucks, the ARP of that aquarium is $1,000: meaning the bonus goes to Benjamin who gets to go to Barker's Bargain Bar to play for a Dinette Set and a Sofa.

Dinette: 4 director-type chairs with chrome frames by Corsican furniture co.
Sofa: Simmons original Hide-a-Bed sofa with Beautyrest mattress

Ben chooses the Sofa, with the setup as shown below:
PrizesDinette SetSofa
Bargain Prices$1,136$799
Actual Prices$1,736$1099
Differences$600$300

LOSS  Another person to hear the MRRP & Loser Horn duo...

Mr. Olson, who is our next player?  Why its...

PAMELA ROBERTS, COME ON DOWN!
YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Who, even before we show the next one-bid item, ends up flustered due to the pressure of everyone in Mason, Arizona watching her (including her coworkers at a bakery, that Pamela says would all call in to not work the day this episode airs)
So residents of Mason, Arizona should probably shop prior to March 19 of 1985...

IUFB3: Electric Range from Maytag
$825 $625 $780 $800

ARP:$639
William, after bidding 2 digits previously, improves enough to where he wins

One thing we have NOT seen this episode so far: A NEW TRUCK!
The Toyota 4 wheel drive shortbed truck, with the following options:
Am/Fm radio cassette, steel-belted radial tires,chrome back bumper,  chrome front wheels, chrome brush guard,chrome FRONT bumper (I'm sensing a theme here... is Google time traveling to promote its web browser on this show?),off-road lights, custom paint, and the omnipresent California Emissions.... A prize worth $12,788

I wonder if this a coincidence or a planned event, because little 5-year-old David's favorite game just happens to be next up: HOLE IN ONE

"My sister is going to have a heart attack...hope I don't get one": William, to Bob, while Johnny was describing the truck.

The distance between William putting and the hole will be based on how he does arranging these 6 grocery items:
Max strength Cortizone-5, St. Ives Apricot Face Scrub, Trident gum (Val-U pak), Ramen Pride noodles, ChipARoos chocolate chip cookies from Sunshine, and Niagra spray starch

William's picks, in order: Noodles, Gum, Cookies,Starch, Ointment, Face scrub
Prices, in order of picks: .25, .59, 1.59, 1.25(BZZ)

We'll go to the third furthest line after the Barker Inspiration Putt, which broke to the left (from the putter's point of view, right as seen on camera)

William's putt: also breaks to the camera's right, with the 2-putt rule not in effect yet...thus LOSS

With that, after some plugs that got edited out by the team behind the PlutoTV Barker Era channel, it's time for our first Showcase Showdown!

SPIN ORDER:Amber ($560 in prizes),William ($639)/ Benjamin($1,100 - includes $100 perfect bid bonus)
Amber:- .25 + 1.00 (OVER)
William: .20 + .80 (WE DIGGIN' FOR $1,000)
Benjamin: .30 + .50 (.80 is usually a good score, but not this time)

BONUS SPIN: .65? (the camera zoomed into Bob and William while the wheel was spinning once it was obvious it was not going to pay out any of the bonuses....)

Up next to Come on Down is Art Palmer, who'll bid first on...
IUFB4: Game Carpeting (Joy Games), includes pieces to play various games (Tic Tac Toe and Chess/Checkers, among others)

Michelle/Art/Pamela/Debra
$501 $400 $325 $500
ARP:$479

Art goes from audience member to a on stage contestant in no time flat, and gets to play Safecrackers for a trip to Rome (round trip excursion coach from LA to Rome,6 nights @ Hotel Mediteraneo) and an Espresso Machine from Faema for a prize package totaling $3,885)

The espresso machine's price, and thus the combination to open the safe contains a 4, a 5, and a 9

Art's guess is 495....and that, is RIGHT for a WIN

I'm wanting to save time, so Ive started not doing the whole spiel verbatim starting with the previous segment, but in any event, our next person called to Come on Down is Sharon (whose last name i couldn't catch when Johnny called for her)

IUFB5: Golf Clubs (once again with the golf on this episode... David?) from Pinseeker

Michelle/Sharon/Pamela/Debra
$1,010 $1,000 $900 $1,001
ARP: $1,021

Michelle wins and gets to play Double Prices for an expensive prize...A NEW STATION WAGON!

The Pontiac FWD 2000 Firebird Wagon with 64.4 cubic feet of cargo space, 5speed transmission, carpeting throughout, Cali Emissions, tinted glass, exterior group, sport mirrors, wheel trim rings,white sidewall fiberglass tires, and cloth bucket seats

The two choices are $7,940 and $8,450; Michelle chooses the $8,450 option, which was WRONG (meaning the price was $7,940)

Before I announce the last person to join Contestants' Row, i must point out that Debra's been in the green podium all show long.

Some recappers here on Golden Road dot net had Mimi Bobeck handle this situation, others have hired a limo service to send these unfortunate souls to various places most people never heard of.

I, however, just went next door to Press Your Luck in order to kidnap "hire" a Whammy to possibly have his way with Debra if she doesn't make it on stage this time.

With that in mind...the last person to be called on down today is... Susan Echols
And Susan, Debra, as well as Sharon and Pamela, get to bid on a Nautilus lower back exercise machine.

Susan/Sharon/Pamela/Debra
$575 $975 $840 $576
To avoid getting literally hammered by you-know-who... is that 1up the right move for Debra?
BZZ BZZ BZZ BZZ  Wait, that's not the Whammy foghorn.

Turns out that everyone overbid, so time to wipe those bids away.
Round two bids: $475 $450 $385 $1

Unfortunately for Debra, the ARP of that exercise machine is $540. That means while she faces the red menace of Television City circa 1985, Susan gets to play the Bonus Game for a 15 foot West Wright Potter sailboat with a rainbow sail, running lights, cockpit & bow guard rails, 6.5 inch bunks, and 14 cubic feet of storage. ARP:$5,017

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Turns out the Bonus Game has an EXTRA bonus outside the sailboat... A ONE EPISODE CONTRACT AS A MODEL ON A FUTURE EPISODE OF TPIR!

But in order to win both the boat and a return appearance on the show way before the modern Drew era's 10-year eligibility rules take effect, we start with our first of four small items: a blouse from Jonathan Martin with a fake price of $27.

Susan goes HIGHER (with me borrowing the red/blue color scheme from Hot Seat for the sake of the recap) and is RIGHT as it's actually a $40 blouse!

Next up: a Hamilton Beach 4-speed blender with a fake price of $70, in which our potential Barker's Beauty guesses LOWER than.  With an actual price of $50, she now has the first two windows covered in case the BONUS window is in the upper half of the board.

However, we would ideally want all 4 windows, so we continue on to some lost contestant from David Ruprecht's supermarket a Bissell broom sweeper that ISN'T $24.

Susan guesses HIGHER for this one, which is RIGHT as that sweeper's actual price is $34.

Now, to guarantee winning the sailboat and modeling bonus, we go to a blue floral glass lamp from Quoizel's Abigail Adams Collection.
Fake price? $72
The guess? HIGHER
The ACTUAL price of the lamp?

$90 to complete the FLAWLESS VICTORY vs the Bonus Game!

Heading to SCSD 2, our spin order is as follows
1st: Michelle ($1,021)
2nd: Art ($4,364)
3rd: Susan ($5,231 and the right to appear in a future episode as a model)

Michelle's spins: .40 + .75 only for the MRRP to sound as she went OVER
Art's spins: .15 + .95 to ALSO get MRRPed for going OVER
That means that Susan wins by default, but gets to spin once anyway in the case she ends up getting a dollar...however, she only gets 45 cents.

SHOWCASES

Susan, with the higher total of the two SCSD victors, gets the option of bidding or passing.
As a reminder, if you are UNDER $100 on your own showcase, you get BOTH of them!

Now, today's showcases are BOTH skits and BOTH with the same theme... Models in Prison

Showcase 1 reveals how they ended up there, with Dian starting with her being arrested for putting cheap plastic dishes in a NEW DISHWASHER (Gibson portable dishwasher with 3 levels of washing action, hygiene cycle, forced air drying, and an energy saving switch)

Then we go to Janice, who rode a MOTORCYCLE inside a department show (Honda Shadow 500 with V-Twin power 5speed transmission, electric starter, maintenance-free solid state ignition,quartz-halogen head light, and more)

And the there's Holly, whose boyfriend was the cop that sent her to prison for having lunch with his boss... IN HONG KONG (Round trip excursion coach, LA to Hong Kong, 6 nights @ Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel)

And this showcase with some of the silliest crimes I've seen since I binged America's Dumbest Criminals in late 2023, can be YOURS... if The Price is Right!

Susan passes that showcase to William, who bids just $2,700.

Our second showcase does a time skip on the story of our three jailbird models as we see how they'll spend their time after being paroled 20 years later.

Dian will catch up on her soap operas (though production would prefer the likes of Young & Restless be viewed) on her new RCA PROJECTION TV! (digital command center, 45 inch screen, 2-channel 4-speaker sound system, cabinet made of pecan solids, 4 door front)

Then Janice tells the prison warden that she'll spend time soaking herself in her new HOT TUB! (from Weston Hot Tubs: vinyl lined, with filter, ladder, heater, rim deck, and redwood cover included)

And we end things with Holly, who'll marry her cop boyfriend, with the honeymoon being spent in a new TRAILER!  (Road Ranger (18ft, sleeps 6 comfortably, with refrigerator, stove, and 40 gallon capacity fresh water storage)

And this showcase, where the models probably should have just hired Raymond Burr, can be Susan's... if The Price is Right!

Her bid ends up being $9,333

SC REVEALS
We start with William and his $2,700 bid.  The ARP of his showcase IS.... $5,926; for a difference of $3,226.
Susan had bid $9,333; and the ARP of her showcase IS... $15,172; for a difference of $5,839.

WILLIAM WINS WITH A TOTAL FOR THE DAY OF $7,565

Johnny Olson speaking for The Price is Right; a Mark Goodson television production.

SUMMARY
Total winnings out of total offered:$20,167 (including 1 perfect bid bonus) out of $61,951 known total offered, not factoring in Blank Check's check value, the bonus prize of the TPIR modeling experience, and David's special toy package)

Games won: 2 (out of 6)
Biggest winner: William ($7,565)
(edited here because I forgot about William's showcase win before)

And that wraps up my first recap attempt at this site......this took me most of the day, between rewinding to catch details on prizes and typing all this multiple times (including on a notepad doc and then this post).

If there's anything that'd help me in the future with this, let me know (be it advice or tips on organizing certain portions: ie the Barker's Bargain Bar table i did)

(edited to include bold text and horizontal rules after seeing Mechamind's tips the morning after the initial post, along with some minor text changes)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 10:45:09 AM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Recap: March 19, 1985 (Episode 5652D )
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 01:46:03 AM »
Two ideas for recapping:

1. Try the "horizontal rule" code to divide each segment. (For me to access it, it's the 2-way arrow button above the "Dancing Banana".) You may need to click Preview a few times to get it to work, but eventually you can figure it out.
2. If you have access to Ctrl+B, I would at least recommend using it to create bold text for the IUFB, Showcase Showdown, and Showcase headers. Anything to make them stand out more.

I understand if Pricing Games could be difficult to work on, as it's hardly ever the same game every time.

But I see that you've already got some color in there, and that's also really helpful. I think it would also be useful for the Showcase podiums.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Recap: March 19, 1985 (Episode 5652D )
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 07:37:45 AM »
thanks for the tips, mechamind