Author Topic: The Floor on FOX  (Read 1292 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
The Floor on FOX
« on: February 13, 2024, 04:04:27 PM »
Any thoughts on the new FOX game show The Floor? This idea is different than most game shows with surviving contestants continuing to appear on future shows.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
Re: The Floor on FOX
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 04:44:41 PM »
I find the core gameplay pretty interesting, although the show as a whole I'm not 100% behind.

I'd rather there be more gameplay and less reality show style contestant reactions, but that's fighting a losing battle at this point in history. They also do a poor job of hiding that people's starting categories were clearly not chosen by them.

If there were an alternate reality version of the show that ran half the time and cut out most everything but the gameplay, I'd like it a lot more. I wish there were fewer picture identification questions but it works well enough.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 06:43:43 PM »
It's interesting enough to watch for one season, but I'm not sure I'd watch season 2 (if it happens). My biggest problem is that the best strategy is to play as little as possible, as you can only get knocked out if you participate in a duel. In fact, it's quite possible the overall winner ends up being someone who plays precisely one time, in that final duel, and that shows a big problem with the format if that happens.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 09:08:50 AM »
That's true for the overall winner; the incentive for end-of-show winners having the biggest territory does mitigate that somewhat.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 08:01:55 PM »
I wish they would bring back  Mental Samurai

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 04:55:27 PM »
I enjoy the show a lot. at the same time I think it will be too confusing to last super long. (remind me something more that would be in the game design class that would be a board game if that makes any sense) it does have very beautiful visual and audio segments with the board moving around and dramatic walks and stuff like that. but I get the feeling most people watch a game show not to see beautiful choreographed walking but to understand the game. still I enjoy the show but like I said above I was the game design manager for at least a half a year. (Long story but I did not get thrown out)

anyway the final is next episode so I am excited.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:13:20 PM by Game Girl »

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 08:57:01 PM »
In fact, it's quite possible the overall winner ends up being someone who plays precisely one time, in that final duel, and that shows a big problem with the format if that happens.

I think this is unlikely because the Randomizer will eventually run out of people to select who have yet to participate in a duel. I see the ending being a handful of semi-large territories that will be forced to cannibalize each other.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 02:26:35 PM »
The Floor is an interesting, underrated format where understanding a broad scope of categories is essential to success and has the temptation for the final duel of each show for going for $20,000, which is the only time that I would actually continue playing provided that one of the challengers could give you the lead, provided that the category isn't too difficult. Of course, as your floor area grows, you're more viable to become a target, and given that you can't be picked again as long as your floor area isn't the smallest, makes it a viable move to stop after just one win. One thing I don't like in addition to some of the chatter in between the selection of the dueling contestants and the duel itself (are the subtitles always necessary?) is the way the music changes into its homestretch, where once the calmer looping portion moves to its finale, if you know someone is far behind, you can immediately fork their chances of a comeback. I'd say there's about a 40% chance this will be picked up for another season.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 08:38:31 AM »
The series finale on Tuesday evening averaged 2.2 million viewers and had a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demo.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 02:53:53 AM »
The series finale on Tuesday evening averaged 2.2 million viewers and had a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demo.
well I am in that 0.2, anyhow I have a feeling this is a one season game before I looked at the ratings. The game is not really explain to the general audience as well as the people on the jeopardy forum explain it. ("45 seconds on the clock" makes it sound like that's a general clock for everyone and does not indicate that the clock pauses when you get it right) most shows these days do not keep anything continuum. (by that I mean prime time not syndicate most syndicates have continuous champions most prime times do not) differences can be a good thing to distinguish a show but it could also be polarizing but I guess we will know when the time comes for renewal. I had so much excitement for this I was basically treating it like the Super Bowl minus the puppies, everything set up.

I wanted to see international foods, I was looking forward to that one and that was the one not chosen. I guess our analysts are right that should been the one chosen because obviously the other clothing did not work. I know it would have been great to have a big battle but even a regular semi good battle with people answering would been better than the squash match we got. (worse then a 'squash match' more like that with a banana peel since there was no domination at all) I almost feel bad saying this because I know that there is a person who actually competing on that battle (2 actually) and they both seem smart but it just was not good television. granted episode as a whole was pretty decent. particularly with him not being able to go back knowing the category and that he basically isolated everyone but three in the corners. (and  I mean 3 in the same corner that technically could have went against each other) if this was a flash in the pan at least was was a great flash in the pan.