Author Topic: TPIR receives a *NON SEXUAL HARASSMENT* related class action lawsuit  (Read 2073 times)

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-show-price-facing-jury-140026016.html

this is about the working conditions for those who work behind the scenes at the show, citing various labor codes that were breached in the process

kinda makes you wonder if some of the s52 mistakes (including car prices being read by George in games like Switcheroo, even though that gaff got edited out) came from this

Offline WilliamPorygon

Re: TPIR receives a *NON SEXUAL HARASSMENT* related class action lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 03:50:51 PM »
The story beginning with "jury trail" in the headline and the immediate use of Bob Barker's picture despite him having nothing to do with the story kinda makes me wonder about the sorry state of journalism in 2024.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 04:12:57 PM »
sensationalism sells, not facts

Offline C8

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 04:36:50 PM »
Was that an article about labor law violations or an ad for the live show in Chicago?

I’ve seen 4th graders who can write better than this.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 04:47:57 PM »
if this turns out to be fake, let me know

but yea, way to stick to the topic, Yahoo  :roll:

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 04:57:37 PM »
Saw this a few hours ago. Wasn't sure if it was worth the link.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 06:24:56 PM »
It may be a legitimate case but that article has to be AI generated.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 06:46:04 PM »
The poor writing comes from TMZ competitor “The Blast” who claims to have broken the story. Yahoo’s only aggregating it. Not that that’s an excuse, but it explains why the article reads the way that it does.

https://theblast.com/580112/game-show-the-price-is-right-facing-a-jury-trail-in-class-action-lawsuit/
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 11:47:20 PM »
I can’t verify the legitimacy of the news article, but digging into the article it claims that the labor laws cited in the suit are all related to being paid on time and what information is required to be on a paystub. There's also a payroll management company that specializes in production work named in the suit. Which my guess would be that something went funky with the payroll at some point and this is the nuclear option. I doubt this would fall under the direct responsibility of the show proper, especially if there’s a third party payroll management company hired by the show for this task, but they’re the “employer” so they’re the ones responsible and are named in the suit. If the suit even exists! I couldn’t find record of it outside of the two links to this article.

I’m sure if it’s a real case we’ll hear more about it eventually. Either that or it’ll be quietly settled never to be heard from again and we’ll doubt it’s existence in the first place.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:24:43 AM »
Entertainment Partners is a payroll company that handles lots of television productions. For the majority of the shows I've worked on, my paychecks and payroll tax calculations have come from them.

Wallaine Sarao was listed in the TPIR credits as post production coordinator earlier this season (I didn't check any recent long credits to see whether that's still the case).

The "Superior Court of California County," as The Blast puts it, does not exist -- I assume they meant "Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles." I didn't try very hard, but I don't think there's a way to access details of pending litigation... at least not without knowing the case number.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 03:04:21 PM »
Wallaine Sarao was listed in the TPIR credits as post production coordinator earlier this season (I didn't check any recent long credits to see whether that's still the case).

Last Tuesday is probably the most recent taping with a full credit roll (this week is third tapings, so it doesn't count), and she's still listed there.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline C8

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 03:30:32 PM »
Last Tuesday is probably the most recent taping with a full credit roll (this week is third tapings, so it doesn't count), and she's still listed there.

You don't have to quit to file an employment complaint/suit against your employer. But to reiterate: the original article is so badly written I hardly know what to believe. This wouldn't seem like an appropriate thing to bring to class action for one.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 09:28:17 PM »
This wouldn't seem like an appropriate thing to bring to class action for one.

Class actions can be huge (like any case involving a large company) or small. They are commonly used in wage and labor theft cases like the one being alleged here. All you generally have to show is that a threshold number of people are affected by the same issue ("the class"), the claims are all similar, the same legal questions are involved among all members of the class, and that a class action would be a superior method of resolving the dispute, versus individual lawsuits.

(or how the law refers to them: commonality, typicality, numerosity, adequacy, and superiority).

Price has had a number of people working for it over the years that probably would've suffered the allegations made here.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.