Author Topic: Arrival time question  (Read 57651 times)

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
Arrival time question
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
I need some help. I might be going out to Los Angeles in May or June to see a taping of The Price Is Right and I need to know when is the best time to line up in front of the Bob Barker Studio to see a taping. Keep in mind, though, that they tape two shows a day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with start times of 1:00PM PST and 4:00PM PST on all those days.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Speedy15021975

• Outside in Line
Re: Arrival time question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »
I might be too late for you to have an answer to this.  Anyway the best time to start showing up for the taping is before 6:00 AM of the day of taping.  That's when they start handing off Order of Arrival passes.  Some fans do camp out there all night.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »
It depends on where you may want to sit in the audience. If you want to be first in line in to get an early OaP number, one of the best times would be around midnight. There may be some people already in line the afternoon before taping. The best times to ensure a place in line before the big groups would be between midnight and 5:00 in the morning.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
Yeah, you're a bit too late, speedy, as I attended the show last month. When I went, I got to the studio at about 3:30 in the morning and got OAP #19.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline lb5vb

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
Is it really necessary to get there at 5am?  I've heard crowds are small recently so I'd rather not spend hours sitting there unless I need to.  We have tickets for 8/12's 12:30pm show.

Thanks!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
Go with the tvtix.com or Hollywood Tickets show tickets if you don't want to be out there at 5am. Those allow you to show up at 9, and pretty much have guaranteed (albeit, pretty crappy) seating.

(though, remember, no seat is guaranteed until you are in the studio)
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:50:06 AM »
I do not know how it is lately. If I go again, I'll still arrive in the wee hours and evaluate.

12:30 tickets? Hmm, interesting....

I never used the tvtix or Hollywood tickets (I do not know exactly how to obtain them anyway). If the seating is "pretty crappy," then I won't do it in the first place.

As long as you get your OAP by 6:00, you should be okay.

Can't wait to do it again.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
I'm fully aware that I'm bumping this post, but I think this is the best place to put this information:

Some friends and I recently attended a taping of the show. As recommended by CGJohn's sticky above, we stayed at the Farmer's Daughter hotel. I highly recommend not only staying there, but especially attending the seminar Ted, one of the employees of the hotel, puts on at 10:15pm nights before taping. Below are a few tips from his chat:

• 1) You'll get great information about what to expect, including where to line up in the morning for your OoA, and how to present yourself to Stan so you might get picked.
  • 2) Most importantly, he'll take your room number and send a wake-up call at the latest time in the morning he deems to be best at assuring both you get as much sleep in your bed as possible and a decent place in line. We got a call at 4:15-ish and only had to wait in line for about an hour-and-a-half. We got OoAs in the low-mid 100.
  • 3) If you stay at the FD and you drove your car or a rental, they have parking, so you won't have to find a place to keep your car during taping. While you must check out before the show starts (as of our stay, check out was at 11am), you can check your bags and keep your car parked there until you're through. Checking your bags with them is safe and free. Be advised, though that the parking is valet only and incurs an extra charge per day of stay. (It was $17 when we were there.)
  • 4) As CGJohn's pointers share, there is a bagel shop across the street from where you line up in the mornings. It's almost directly across the street from the visitor's gate, and right next door to the Vitamin Shoppe on the corner of Fairfax and W 1st St. The owner will rent you a cheap plastic patio chair for $5 plus a $5 deposit, returnable upon return of the chair. That's a great deal if you're from out of town and don't want to buy or fly one from home.

It's a blast being in the studio, and these few tips will make sure your experience at the show is as fantastic and fun as mine was!
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
Has anyone been to a taping this season? Are people still really arriving at 3am? I'm coming from the Eastern timezone so 3am is like 6am. When I went to Wheel of Fortune I arrived a half hour before we were told to get there and was still in the 2nd row. I only had 20 people ahead of me. I'm sure lining up is part of the experience and I'll bring a book or something. But I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what lineups have been like recently.

Offline ASja2002

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »
when I went I got in line by midnite, and had the 3rd seat in the front row. The 3rd night i went(had Guaranteed for taping 2) I left the Beverly Inn(Also a good hotel) at 935pm an beat the group coming from across the street for the first seat by like 25 seconds. For a decent seat(not worrying about front row but still good visibility of everything, 2AM is safe
First QSW!! 2/8/13

Everyone be careful out there!

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:32:19 PM »
I went at 6 am (August 30), and that was good enough for fourth row at the 4:10 taping. By then, there were no more OOA's for the 12:20 show.

Offline jrh31584

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
I arrived about 5:30 on September 28 and was #55.

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
So the taping I'm attending is coming up in a couple weeks. I'm thinking of arriving at the studio for my Order of Arrival pass at about 3:30-4am. Still a good idea?

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline spikedbladezero

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
So the taping I'm attending is coming up in a couple weeks. I'm thinking of arriving at the studio for my Order of Arrival pass at about 3:30-4am. Still a good idea?

3:30-4AM could still get you first row or possibly 2nd. I know I went to a taping 2/1 and it was pretty much deserted untill 3 AM. Just me and this other girl were in line before then.