Author Topic: The Official pentellit vs. Barker Thread  (Read 324934 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Official pentellit vs. Barker Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 10:01:11 PM »
Are you addressing me? If you are, it's unfortunate, but people will generally respond better to someone who presents their message in a more easily digestible manner.

I'm not saying that should be the case (it shouldn't), I'm just trying to make a point.

I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »
It seems pretty obvious to me from the last few posts that between us we all have our reasons to distrust and/or dislike pentellit (for the record, I disapprove of her overt militarism--which puts anything folks have ever accused me of to shame--and the fact that her anti-Barker crusade has a take-no-prisoners air to it, plus the fact that it IS a crusade and it seems to have swallowed her whole, which is also why I doubt everything she says, but that's just me).

Then there are those like price_authority, who we know and whose opinions we respect (at least I do), saying that some of what pentellit says is true.  Fair enough--you're the independent fact-checker that can help us sort fact from fiction in what pentellit says.

pentellit, don't mock people who disagree with (or who even just don't agree with) what you say.  Don't bludgeon us with anti-Barker-isms (isn't that a clever term?) at every turn.  Quit making everything you touch into a platform to attack Bob.  And don't make it so painfully obvious (and that's exactly what it is, painful) that you think Bob is the absolute worst human being to ever grace the face of the Earth.  We get it, already, we don't need to be reminded at every turn.  He's retired now, and unless he's named in a new lawsuit, there's no reason to keep trying to link him to everything that's happening now.

So please--knock it off, won't you?  Contribute to discussions in a constructive way.  Talk about something other than how much you hate Bob and anyone who respects him for what he accomplished.  That way when you want to talk about something Bob-related, the knee-jerk reaction is something other than "ugh, there she goes again."

Deal??
Bazinga!

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
brt, for the sake of your sanity, don't try. I wasted far too long trying the same thing.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline pentellit

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Quote from: price_authority
Bob Barker seems to have little regard for testifying truthfully under oath.
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
I really have no desire to sit through another round of this.
      Then don't.
*Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION. (TY p_a ;))

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »
brt, for the sake of your sanity, don't try. I wasted far too long trying the same thing.

Butler looks like you nailed it.  I gave diplomacy my best shot; I get mocked for it, and you get mocked for rightly telling me persistence is futile.  I guess there's only one other thing we can do!
Bazinga!

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
Butler looks like you nailed it.  I gave diplomacy my best shot; I get mocked for it, and you get mocked for rightly telling me persistence is futile.  I guess there's only one other thing we can do!

Eh, let her mock me. It's not like I really care what she thinks now - I have plenty of more important people to worry about than a relic from the past.

And persistence isn't futile - resistance is! We will all be converted into warriors in the army that will take back Studio 33 from its mad dictator!  :oldlol:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:26:26 PM by The_Great_Butler »

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
So....about the statement about Dian and Mark?

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
This has been my most successful thread.
John

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 11:56:31 PM »

What can we say, John, you sure know how to pick 'em :)

On the subject of Dian and Mark Goodson, the honest truth is that it doesn't come as that big a shock.  If it were any other situation I might feel differently, but look at the facts:  Bob started out at 56 in 1972 when PiR as we know it started life, and he didn't get any younger from there.  Then you had the far younger models from the show supposedly doing who-knows-what with and to him.  The age difference between them and him is a big enough shock, even knowing why they were doing it.  Short stretch of road (wasn't there?) between Bob's age and Mark Goodson's age, I could see someone who was willing to "become intimate" with Bob being willing to do so with Mark Goodson, who from their perspective was probably the only person more powerful than the WGMC.
Bazinga!

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »

Aren't you proud of yourself John?  :P

Bob started out at 56 in 1972 when PiR as we know it started life, and he didn't get any younger from there.

Umm....Bob was 48 when he started back in '72.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
Umm....Bob was 48 when he started back in '72.

My fault, I coulda sworn it was 56, but I've been wrong before :)  I amend my statement.  Point's still a valid one though.

EDIT:  now I know where I got 56.  According to his birthdate, Mark Goodson is eight years older (born 1915) than Bob Barker (born 1923), meaning if Bob was 48 at the time of September 4, 1972, Mark Goodson would've been 56.  I knew I wasn't crazy!!!
Bazinga!

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »
As much as the site harps on folks not personally attacking each other, I'm personally disappointed the modeartors have allowed a thread started by a moderator to continue for 5 pages when it's been nothing but a crucifixtion of one member.

Sorry John, I know you didn't intend this to turn out this way, but your "most succesful" thread has been very dividing. Good thing pentellit has a thicker skin than others.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 01:36:56 AM »
It has been successful in the manner that none of this bickering took place in a thread initially devoted to another important topic.

You may feel that us moderators have allowed this to carry on, but we allow alot to carry on.  Like when you refer to Bobby and Dobby, or pentellit attacks Barker, or when members have something to say about Drew.  Is it right? 

Marc and I (along with the moderating team) have a very difficult task of balancing personal attacks with personal opinions and the freedom to express them.  Do I delete things?  Sure.  Do I allow some things to slide?  Sure.

I've allowed pentellit a place to vent and her venting has naturally attracted the other views to respond.  My intention was to provide our dear pentellit with a home of her own, where she can scream at the top of her lungs to express her passionate love for Bob Barker (deep down we all know that's how she feels) and allow those who don't want to have to sift through it all in another thread a way to promptly ignore her feelings and her posts.

So yes, this has been my most successful thread.
John

Offline priceisrightforever

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:25 AM »
WOW!!!!! I think since Guiding Light was cancelled, the writers have come here to do their story lines.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »
WOW!!!!! I think since Guiding Light was cancelled, the writers have come here to do their story lines.

We've got much better writers than Guiding Light. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.