Author Topic: Who should replace Rich Fields as TPIR announcer?  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Bluejay

• Outside in Line
Who should replace Rich Fields as TPIR announcer?
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
As you may have known, Rich Fields' contract was not renewed with The Price Is Right :-(.  Rich said on his website that they wanted to go with an improv comic to be the new announcer.  Right now, they are trying out three announcers: J.D. Roberto, Brad Sherwood, and Jeff Bryan Davis.  Roberto was on "Shop 'Til You Drop", Sherwood hosted "The Dating Game", and Davis was on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", which was hosted by Drew Carey.  I have a feeling Davis will have the inside track.

However, if you were to hire an announcer for The Price Is Right, who would you want?

Would you want to go with Roberto, Davis, or Sherwood, or would you rather go for a traditional announcer type?
My suggestions:
Dee Bradley Baker: was a great announcer on "Shop 'Til You Drop" with Pat Finn, often did improv comedy and dressed up as characters such as Grandma Curmudgeon.
Randy West
Art Sanders (was Bob Barker's First choice to replace Rod Roddy until he hear Rich Fields"
Burton Richardson (subbed for Roddy and Fields, also announcer for "The Arsenio Hall Show" [I still remember his "ARSENIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO..... HALL! intro])

Who would you choose and why?
WE MISS YOU, RICH FIELDS!

FREMANTLE, DREW CAREY, AND MIKE RICHARDS, BRING BACK RICH FIELDS!

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
Re: Who should replace Rich Fields as TPIR announcer?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
I Think Brad will do good I love this voice.  Dee Baker was great as olmac on legands of the hidden temple so he would do good to.
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:27 PM »
JD Roberto is okay, but I have higher expectations for Jeff Davis and Brad Sherwood.   I'd have to hear them to decide who I'd rather have.

Of course, I know it's a long shot, but I'd love it if they gave Randy West an audition.   I know they probably see him as too "traditional", but he's definitely a funny guy, and I think he'd be just as capable at improvising and making off-the-cuff comments as anybody else they're trying out.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
No one should replace him - he should still be there! But of the guys they currently have doing the part, I will say that while JD isn't terrible at all, he isn't as good as Rich. JD emphasizes the right words and has a nice tone when describing the products, but his actual voice just seems out of place on TPiR. It may take some getting used to, but he seems a little off.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »
It's a bit too early for this. Let all the announcers have their first, FULL go (ALL tapings in their set). Also, there's a 99.9% chance it's between the three chosen ones only.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
Also, there's a 99.9% chance it's between the three chosen ones only.

Actually, I would think that there's a decent chance that none of them get chosen.

Just like rotating models, we would now have rotating announcers....forever.

Notice how there's not really any message stating that this is a "tryout" period or that there is a job available.

Wonder if we can get a rotating executive producer.....
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Bluejay

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »
As you may have known, Rich Fields' contract was not renewed with The Price Is Right :-(.  Rich said on his website that they wanted to go with an improv comic to be the new announcer.  Right now, they are trying out three announcers: J.D. Roberto, Brad Sherwood, and Jeff Bryan Davis.  Roberto was on "Shop 'Til You Drop", Sherwood hosted "The Dating Game", and Davis was on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", which was hosted by Drew Carey.  I have a feeling Davis will have the inside track.

However, if you were to hire an announcer for The Price Is Right, who would you want?

Would you want to go with Roberto, Davis, or Sherwood, or would you rather go for a traditional announcer type?
My suggestions:
Dee Bradley Baker: was a great announcer on "Shop 'Til You Drop" with Pat Finn, often did improv comedy and dressed up as characters such as Grandma Curmudgeon.
Randy West
Art Sanders (was Bob Barker's First choice to replace Rod Roddy until he hear Rich Fields"
Burton Richardson (subbed for Roddy and Fields, also announcer for "The Arsenio Hall Show" [I still remember his "ARSENIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO..... HALL! intro])

Who would you choose and why?

I looked up Brad Sherwood's bio on IMDB and he also did "Whose Line" with Drew Carey.
I'll miss Rich like I miss Johnny Olsen and Rod Roddy, but I also wish J.D. Roberto, Brad Sherwood, and Jeff Bryan Davis the best of luck.
WE MISS YOU, RICH FIELDS!

FREMANTLE, DREW CAREY, AND MIKE RICHARDS, BRING BACK RICH FIELDS!

Offline John92

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Or if Jonathan Magnum (known for his famous "IT"S THE LET'S MAKE A DEAL VAULT!" speil) would announce.

Offline AthleticsFan

• In Contestant's Row
    • Strat-O-NASCAR Channel Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »
What about Liz Hernandez (Power 106 FM - KPWR & Make Me A Millionaire) hopefully she would get a good replacement to Rich Fields and participate in showcases compared to the late Johnny Olsen.

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
JD emphasizes the right words and has a nice tone when describing the products, but his actual voice just seems out of place on TPiR. It may take some getting used to, but he seems a little off.

It's like J.D. has Gene Wood syndrome. Gene Wood was a talented announcer.  One of the best in the business.  He was the voice of Family Feud for almost 20 years.  After Johnny Olson died, Gene did some shows on The Price is Right.  He was horrible (in my opinion).  His announcing style did not fit with that type of show.

Back to J.D.  As far as his announcing ability, I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  He's not bad.  I think many begrudge him because he had to follow Rich (and he is a personal friend of Mike Richards). 

But just like Gene Wood (who I think J.D. kind of sounds like), J.D.'s announcing style does not mseh well with a show like The Price is Right.

While I'm not a big fan of the announcer talking at random parts of the show, it's not that big of a deal to me.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
But just like Gene Wood (who I think J.D. kind of sounds like)

J.D. has a thin, nasal voice.  Gene had a booming, raspy voice.  I don't see how the two are similar.

As far as his announcing ability, I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  He's not bad.  I think many begrudge him because he had to follow Rich (and he is a personal friend of Mike Richards). 

Many of the people who are criticizing J.D. (including me) had no great love for Rich either.  Personally, I don't think J.D. is intolerable, but he's not very good, and this rotation system gives him no opportunity to grow into the role.

While I'm not a big fan of the announcer talking at random parts of the show, it's not that big of a deal to me.

I think it's fine when the announcer and Drew are actually conversing.  When J.D. tries to insert a random comment, it seems that Drew and the audience usually can't hear him, and the comment falls flat.  If they're not already doing it, the production should put the announcer and model mics on a separate audio track.  That would allow them to easily edit out any asides that don't go anywhere.  Less distracting that way.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
Rick dees....

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »
Randy West.

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
I say either Burton Richardson or Randy West
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
* Roadgeek Adam echoes Wayoshi's comment.

Also, according to Mike Richards, Jeff Davis only started taping his recently. They said they finished JD Roberto's stuff. He does better at announcing than hosting the remake of Shop Till You Drop that really pissed me off.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]