Author Topic: Jim Thornton is new permanent Wheel of Fortune announcer  (Read 4807 times)

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
Jim Thornton is new permanent Wheel of Fortune announcer
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »
An announcement on Wheel's FB page:

It's official. Veteran radio announcer Jim Thornton is the new voice of Wheel of Fortune.
“We are delighted to welcome Jim Thornton into the Wheel of Fortune family,” said Executive Producer, Harry Friedman. “Jim’s rich, friendly voice and engaging personality are a great fit for our show and its tradition.” Fans have already heard Thornton’s voice as one of the guest announcers during Season 28, and he will take on the position full-time when Wheel of Fortune begins broadcasting its 29th Season on September 19.

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Jim Thornton is new permanent Wheel of Fortune announcer
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
Jim Thornton is fine, but I really preferred Rich Fields and Johnny Gilbert.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
It's funny, whenever Jim's announcing and he does the opening "Ladies and gentlemen..." announcement, if I'm not listening carefully I SERIOUSLY think it's Charlie O.!

Congrats Jim!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
September 19? Week later than expected, hmm...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Most of you were rooting for Rich Fields but Jim Thorton sounds alot like Charlie-O. Thats why they picked him

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »
Jim Thornton is way better than Rich on Wheel. Glad they chose him.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
Most of you were rooting for Rich Fields but Jim Thorton sounds alot like Charlie-O. Thats why they picked him

We were? I instantly thought Jim would be a perfect fit for Wheel. Rich just didn't have the right voice presence for the show. I also disagree that the producers picked Jim Thornton simply because he "sounds a lot like Charlie." He has a great deal of voice talent in his own right, and saying he was picked simply because he sounds like someone else is a little bit of a slight, even though you probably didn't mean it that way.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
During the auditions, I thought Rich was better than Jim.  But once Jim unofficially got the job (as reported a couple months ago) his style improved greatly.  Jim was the perfect choice for announcer.  Congratulations, Jim!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
Excellent pick.  Good voice for the program.

Get ready for that to be a busy premiere day...TPIR/Deal should be premiering that day as well.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline John92

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
First Jim was a guest announcer for Price is Right after Roddy's death. Now he won the WoF Announcing job.

As for Rich, he can still be seen on KCAL 9 doing the weather.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »
I've liked Jim since he tried out for Price back in 2004. I would have picked him over Rich, actually. Always thought his voice just had a presence to it, I guess.

I'm glad to see he's got such a gig now. He deserves it.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »

I do wonder why that is. The WOF and J! premieres were in the second week of September through 1986(although WOF's first season started airing in late August 1983 on some stations, and J! premiered on 9/10/84 in some cities and 9/17/84 in others). From 1987-2004, the season premieres were on Labor Day. From 2005-2010, they were back to the second MOnday in September, probably to avoid preemption from Jerry Lewis or whatever. Unless they're cutting back on the number of episodes produced, which would be unusual(J! originally did 195 episodes, and increased it to 230 starting in 1986-87)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
Could it possibly have anything to do with the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks? I know the date falls on a Sunday, but I could definitely see some of the network newscasts being an hour long around that time for sure. Pushing the premiere back a week would avoid all of that. Obviously, I don't know the real reason, but that's about all that came to mind off the top of my head other than "they just wanted to start later this year," which isn't so helpful.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »
I've alyways enjoyed hearing Jim on Los Angeles' KNX radio. He'll be fine.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 06:05:53 PM »
Assuming J! also starts its season on September 19th this Fall, and does its standard 46 weeks of new shows a year, first run episodes would air in August for the first time ever. The current season bowed on September 13th and the season finale is July 29th. 46 weeks after September 19th will be August 3rd(leap year in 2012). Rarely have syndicated game shows shown new episodes in August. $100K Pyramid had new episodes in August from 1986-1988 and the Challengers might have in 1991(though that show was supposed to run 52 weeks a year with no repeats, when the show was known to be cancelled, they did show some reruns during the Summer, but not sure how many weeks of reruns were shown).